Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supposedly a hybrid is coming based on Toyota tech. I’m guessing Subaru won’t do a hybrid Ascent until Toyota launches the next-gen Highlander over the next year or so.

Other speculation on timing?

PHEV or Mild?

·
Registered
764 Posts
It is a hybrid crosstrek based on the Toyota Prius Prime technology.

It will be a plug in hybrid. It will launch in December of 2018 as a 2019 Model. Only available for sale in the green states. California, Oregon, Washington, Connecticut, etc. Subaru won't even let my service technicians from Utah attend any of the training to service the car.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Crosstrek won’t be the only hybrid.

This article sugggests PHEV for Ascent too. But I think Toyota gets to launch next-gen Highlander hybrid first.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/when-subaru-will-produce-ascent-3-row-phev
Torque news is the worst source of info!

There are currently no published plans to bring the hybrid to any model other than the Crosstrek at this time. The new global platform that underpins all of our coming generation of cars will be able to house a hybrid system, but that doesn't mean they all will get a hybrid variant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

There are currently no published plans to bring the hybrid to any model other than the Crosstrek at this time. The new global platform that underpins all of our coming generation of cars will be able to house a hybrid system, but that doesn't mean they all will get a hybrid variant.
Well I don’t know much about Torque News...

But plans are made long before they are published. I expect Toyota will launch next-gen Highlander hybrid, the an Ascent hybrid will follow a year or so later leveraging Toyota tech. Much like the Crosstrek.

At least I certainly hope so, next car will certainly be some flavor of hybrid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Can’t really comment on Torque News.

But plans are made long before they’re published. Kind of like college football schedules.

I expect some kind of Ascent hybrid, leveraging Toyota tech, that follows about a year or so after next-gen Highlander hybrid launches.

·
Registered
764 Posts
But plans are made long before they’re published. Kind of like college football schedules.
Correct, but I've seen their schedule for the next 6 years - no mention of any other hybrid

I expect some kind of Ascent hybrid, leveraging Toyota tech, that follows about a year or so after next-gen Highlander hybrid launches.
The Highlander Hybrid accounts for such a little percent of the Highlander's sales that I would be very surprised if Subaru even attempted it on this generation (2019-2023)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Crosstrek won’t be the only hybrid.

This article sugggests PHEV for Ascent too. But I think Toyota gets to launch next-gen Highlander hybrid first.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/when-subaru-will-produce-ascent-3-row-phev
Technically every new Subaru using the new Subaru Global Platform (SGP) can be a hybrid since the platform was designed to accommodate battery and electric motor(s). While Toyota has no say in how Subaru uses their hybrid technology, Subaru almost sold a re-branded Highlander to replace the Tribeca.

2019 Subaru Ascent First Drive Review | Automobile Magazine

The Forester and the Crosstrek are actually the 1st Subaru hybrids on the new SGP. The hybrids were announced in China back in April. The hybrid over there is being branded "Intelligent Boxer", but I am not sure if it will come to the US with that name. From the pictures, it looks like it only has 1 electric motor so I am guessing it will be a mild hybrid.

https://www.subaru-global.com/ms2018/beijing/index.html

The vehicle we get, the Crosstrek, will be a plug in hybrid but not much information is known about it. It could feature a more complex electric motor setup that includes more than 1 electric motor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct, but I've seen their schedule for the next 6 years - no mention of any other hybrid

The Highlander Hybrid accounts for such a little percent of the Highlander's sales that I would be very surprised if Subaru even attempted it on this generation (2019-2023)
We’ll I hope it’s just a double-secret project. Or waiting for Toyota to launch first. PHEV or Mild, don’t care which. But want to at least be able to cruise my neighborhood without sparking the ICE...

·
Registered
978 Posts
The one negative to the plugin hybrid is weight. It works ok with my wifes commuter car given load capacity isn’t a problem. But a vehicle like the Ascent where its big attraction is its load handling ability be it butts in seats and/or gear -trailers etc the battery weight will reduce its useful load etc. Given I have a plugin hybrid a large one Fusion Energi, its an awesome machine! But its heavy as heck! This winter I had to rescue my wife after she put a rock right through the center of the rear tire tread, only 6000 miles on the tire. Rock was about the size of my fist and a hard sand stone knocked loose from the embankment during a rain storm. The car is heavy!!!!

I’ve thought about it a bunch a plugin hybrid Outback or Ascent for my use family truckster road tripper loaded etc wouldn’t work well. But just as the typical local kid shuttle it would be a nice feature. But the nice jump in mpg from my 14-15mpg Sequoia to say 20-21mpg Ascent in the local short trip kid bus stuff would be a really nice fuel cost improvement. I’m not sure I would want to reduce load capability in my case for the plugin hybrid version. Having said that maybe 80% of the moms I know only need a local shuttle machine were the load capacity impact from plugin hybrid version wouldn’t be an issue. They don’t tow, don’t camp, don’t do big road trips loaded with gear etc. Which case yes the plugin hybrid option would be a compelling option to consider.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Not a fan of hybrids, generally speaking. I would rather have an all-or-nothing approach, meaning traditional ICE/Gasoline mix, or a full EV vehicle, such as Tesla. This way with EV you can eliminate things that add substantial weight (exhaust system), but I realize that EV is not necessarily the lifestyle (outdoorsy, offroading, off-the-grid and no power outlets to use) that Subaru goes for.

For someone like me that rarely offroads or goes off the grid, I could see that the EV could be a viable option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The one negative to the plugin hybrid is weight. It works ok with my wifes commuter car given load capacity isn’t a problem. But a vehicle like the Ascent where its big attraction is its load handling ability be it butts in seats and/or gear -trailers etc the battery weight will reduce its useful load etc. Given I have a plugin hybrid a large one Fusion Energi, its an awesome machine! But its heavy as heck! This winter I had to rescue my wife after she put a rock right through the center of the rear tire tread, only 6000 miles on the tire. Rock was about the size of my fist and a hard sand stone knocked loose from the embankment during a rain storm. The car is heavy!!!!

I’ve thought about it a bunch a plugin hybrid Outback or Ascent for my use family truckster road tripper loaded etc wouldn’t work well. But just as the typical local kid shuttle it would be a nice feature. But the nice jump in mpg from my 14-15mpg Sequoia to say 20-21mpg Ascent in the local short trip kid bus stuff would be a really nice fuel cost improvement. I’m not sure I would want to reduce load capability in my case for the plugin hybrid version. Having said that maybe 80% of the moms I know only need a local shuttle machine were the load capacity impact from plugin hybrid version wouldn’t be an issue. They don’t tow, don’t camp, don’t do big road trips loaded with gear etc. Which case yes the plugin hybrid option would be a compelling option to consider.
Great perspective. Interesting that Volvo launched PHEV, heavy and costly, but now has mild hybrids coming relatively soon. I suspect you’re onto something re: large vehicles. Curious what Toyota does with next gen Highlander hybrid, PHEV or mild, I suspect Subaru will offer something comparable for Ascent

At least I hope so, because I expect our next vehicle will be some flavor of hybrid...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great perspective. Interesting that Volvo launched PHEV, heavy and costly, but now has mild hybrids coming relatively soon. I suspect you’re onto something re: large vehicles. Curious what Toyota does with next gen Highlander hybrid, PHEV or mild, I suspect Subaru will offer something comparable for Ascent

At least I hope so, because I expect our next vehicle will be some flavor of hybrid...
...I suspect any Ascent hybrid will depend on this Toyota investment:

https://www.motor1.com/news/181818/toyota-first-american-made-hybrid/

Our Sienna AWD has been fine but deadly dull. TNGA (next-gen) Highlander hybrid would probably be the same, hoping Ascent goes hybrid in the next couple years.

Can risk being seen driving the minivan only so much longer...

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
...I suspect any Ascent hybrid will depend on this Toyota investment:

https://www.motor1.com/news/181818/toyota-first-american-made-hybrid/

Our Sienna AWD has been fine but deadly dull. TNGA (next-gen) Highlander hybrid would probably be the same, hoping Ascent goes hybrid in the next couple years.

Can risk being seen driving the minivan only so much longer...
The next Subaru hybrid is supposed to be based on the Toyota Prius Prime hybrid system, but with a Subaru engine and AWD driveline attached. The presumption is that the Crosstrek or Impreza will get it first. It is supposed to be available in a couple years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The next Subaru hybrid is supposed to be based on the Toyota Prius Prime hybrid system, but with a Subaru engine and AWD driveline attached. The presumption is that the Crosstrek or Impreza will get it first. It is supposed to be available in a couple years.
Crosstrek PHEV has already been announced, I think for later this year.

I’ve expected Ascent hybrid would follow about a year after next-gen Highlander hybrid launches in a couple years. But a more informed poster recently stated it won’t happen.

We’ve got a Highlander hybrid at the moment as a loner. No doubt in my mind that our next crossover will be a hybrid, PHEV or mild. I hope Ascent is ready when we are.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
We’ll I hope it’s just a double-secret project. Or waiting for Toyota to launch first. PHEV or Mild, don’t care which. But want to at least be able to cruise my neighborhood without sparking the ICE...
Not to be rude, but Subaru would never spill the beans to anyone working at the factory or the dealership for fear of people ignoring the present offering in lieu of the next best thing coming down the line in the near future.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts