Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Husky vs Weathertech

15K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Jeffofthedesert 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried the Husky floor mats? I have the weathertech but I’m not particularly happy with the coverage or feel.

#2 ·
I preferred the Maxliner to the Weathertech.

#4 ·
I picked up the full set of Maxliners for a recent snow trip. I had been holding out for the perfect set (for me) as all the available options had some sort of compromise. I want 3D Maxpider mats above all of the choices out there, but they're taking forever to make a set for the Ascent.

After having the Maxliners for a couple months now, I really like them. The coverage is excellent. They don't feel as rubbery as I'd like (not really rubbery at all), but they are fine in real-world use. I made one mistake of wiping the driver's mat down with 303 protectant. It became very slippery and was distracting while driving. It cleaned up well with just water and has good grip now. I plan to use these mats indefinitely, but will consier replacing them if Maxpiders ever get made.

#23 ·
I picked up the full set of Maxliners for a recent snow trip. I had been holding out for the perfect set (for me) as all the available options had some sort of compromise. I want 3D Maxpider mats above all of the choices out there, but they're taking forever to make a set for the Ascent.

After having the Maxliners for a couple months now, I really like them. The coverage is excellent. They don't feel as rubbery as I'd like (not really rubbery at all), but they are fine in real-world use. I made one mistake of wiping the driver's mat down with 303 protectant. It became very slippery and was distracting while driving. It cleaned up well with just water and has good grip now. I plan to use these mats indefinitely, but will consier replacing them if Maxpiders ever get made.
Thank you for sharing your review and pics. I’ve purchase weathertechs for my last two Toyotas and this swayed me to try the Smartliners. They were a little fiddley to install at the back but now that they’re seated properly they’ve been great. After camping it was very easy to clean up the floor and I think they’ll be great for slush/snow next winter.

#5 ·
Coverage looks near identical to the Weathertechs. I have the Weathertechs and fit has been pretty much perfect.
The thing I have always hated about Weathertechs, and maybe others are like this too, is the material used is extremely porous and permanently traps dirt into itself. They look like crap, all the time. Even after soap and water power wash/scrub, they’re filthy looking and make a nice clean interior look awful 24/7/365.
Is the material used by the other brands like this? It would be worth switching for that alone.
I refuse to use the Subaru mats due to the lack of coverage, but at least they clean up like new when washed.

#8 ·
I have a set of Weathertech's in my Forester. Absolutely hate the rear sets. Fronts are tolerable for my SoCal environment.

The rears slide and edges curl like crazy. Trying to capture mud and other normal debri from multiple minion sports is nearly non-existant. I've been able to bend the curl back into the opposite way by carefully using a heat gun and some short planks to try and keep the edges even.

I do not recommend Weathertech's....

#11 · (Edited)
That is exactly what the Weathertechs in my Pilot did. I think the side walls get too thin trying to be completely form fitting. Looking at the Maxliner pix above they have a much thicker lip and seem to have ~90 degree turn to flat/horizontal at the edges.

Could be local climate related. I was in South Texas at the time. Never measured interior temp when parked in the sun on a 100F day. Climbing over to 140F wouldn't surprise me. I see that in-n-out bag in Chris' avatar for California.

#14 ·
I think that was the expectation, but not the reality.

#17 ·
I have Maxliner in the front and stock all weather mats in the back.

I have owned WeatherTech, Husky and Maxliner and I have been most impressed with the Maxliner given the price and quality. IMO, given that they are all pretty much the same material, it really just comes down to personal preference

#26 · (Edited)
Here are some pics if the ones I linked to a few posts ago.
Thank you for the pictures! Those look like they fit nicely.

How does the surface of them feel? Are they rubbery? Or maybe more like canvas? Do you think they'll be easy to keep clean?

One of the things I really dislike about the Subaru mats is the rubber compound/type they use is apparently very tacky, and they attract even the dust from the bottoms of your shoes and the very first time you get in the car after cleaning them, there's a bunch of shoe prints all over the place. I think I may try these if they'll be easier to keep looking clean on a regular basis.

3D® Custom Fit Floor & Cargo Liner | Redefine Protection (3dmatsusa.com)

If that's their website (it appears to be), they don't list an application for the Ascent. Did you just call them directly to order?

Edit: Disregard above; I see them on Amazon.

#27 ·
I'm very pleased with the switch in my 2021 from the OEM weather mats to the 3D Maxpider set. At least one vendor "filter menu" said they were only for 7 seat captains chairs models. They fit my 8 passenger bench seat fine. I ran the central runner under the bench seat for coverage when the 2nd row is pushed forward.

The "model years" filter was wrong on at least one web page, they didn't show up when I looked for 2021 Ascent models. I've seen that on a couple of other accessories. They do not feel like typical rubbery mats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.