Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the Husky floor mats? I have the weathertech but I’m not particularly happy with the coverage or feel.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My experience is Weathertech gets too thin to form fit to everything and those thin areas end up curling over. The Husky mats in my Yukon also curled at edges but not as bad and a couple of years later.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I picked up the full set of Maxliners for a recent snow trip. I had been holding out for the perfect set (for me) as all the available options had some sort of compromise. I want 3D Maxpider mats above all of the choices out there, but they're taking forever to make a set for the Ascent.

After having the Maxliners for a couple months now, I really like them. The coverage is excellent. They don't feel as rubbery as I'd like (not really rubbery at all), but they are fine in real-world use. I made one mistake of wiping the driver's mat down with 303 protectant. It became very slippery and was distracting while driving. It cleaned up well with just water and has good grip now. I plan to use these mats indefinitely, but will consier replacing them if Maxpiders ever get made.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Coverage looks near identical to the Weathertechs. I have the Weathertechs and fit has been pretty much perfect.
The thing I have always hated about Weathertechs, and maybe others are like this too, is the material used is extremely porous and permanently traps dirt into itself. They look like crap, all the time. Even after soap and water power wash/scrub, they’re filthy looking and make a nice clean interior look awful 24/7/365.
Is the material used by the other brands like this? It would be worth switching for that alone.
I refuse to use the Subaru mats due to the lack of coverage, but at least they clean up like new when washed.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Coverage looks near identical to the Weathertechs. I have the Weathertechs and fit has been pretty much perfect.
The thing I have always hated about Weathertechs, and maybe others are like this too, is the material used is extremely porous and permanently traps dirt into itself. They look like crap, all the time. Even after soap and water power wash/scrub, they’re filthy looking and make a nice clean interior look awful 24/7/365.
Is the material used by the other brands like this? It would be worth switching for that alone.
I refuse to use the Subaru mats due to the lack of coverage, but at least they clean up like new when washed.
You can clean the weathertech mats and then spray them with the tire brightener from an auto store. This keeps them cleaner and easy to clean when dirty but layers a film on them that is slippery.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Had a set of tan ones in my last gls450. After about 2 years mine curled over on the edges, and it was nearly impossible to get them totally clean at that point as well. I'm going to look into these other options for the Ascent this year.
And thank you to the other poster for the images of the install.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a set of Weathertech's in my Forester. Absolutely hate the rear sets. Fronts are tolerable for my SoCal environment.

The rears slide and edges curl like crazy. Trying to capture mud and other normal debri from multiple minion sports is nearly non-existant. I've been able to bend the curl back into the opposite way by carefully using a heat gun and some short planks to try and keep the edges even.

I do not recommend Weathertech's....

·
Registered
653 Posts
That is so weird - I’ve probably had 15+ sets of different Weathertechs and have never seen that curling, ever.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The straightening is merely a ban-aid. As after a month's usage the fold over curling returns.

That is exactly what the Weathertechs in my Pilot did. I think the side walls get too thin trying to be completely form fitting. Looking at the Maxliner pix above they have a much thicker lip and seem to have ~90 degree turn to flat/horizontal at the edges.

Could be local climate related. I was in South Texas at the time. Never measured interior temp when parked in the sun on a 100F day. Climbing over to 140F wouldn't surprise me. I see that in-n-out bag in Chris' avatar for California.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Coverage looks near identical to the Weathertechs.
Weathertech is definitely the industry standard. The beauty of the Maxliners is that the whole set is only $160 and they cover the gap of carpet between the sill and the mat that the Weathertech and Husky mars leave behind.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought husky was supposed to have the best coverage, especially in the door sills.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I thought husky was supposed to have the best coverage, especially in the door sills.
I think that was the expectation, but not the reality.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a heads up. Weathertech offers a AAA discount and husky offers a military/first responder discount. Waiting on a response from maxliners.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think that was the expectation, but not the reality.
True. I got the Husky Liners, and there is a 1" gap of exposed carpet on the outer side of the front liner. Other than this, I'm very happy with the quality of the Husky liners.
Another disappointment with Husky is that it only has liners for the 1st and 2nd rows, not 3rd row.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have Maxliner in the front and stock all weather mats in the back.

I have owned WeatherTech, Husky and Maxliner and I have been most impressed with the Maxliner given the price and quality. IMO, given that they are all pretty much the same material, it really just comes down to personal preference

1 - 18 of 18 Posts