Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It isn't uncommon where I live for us to get down to -40C (-40F) without windchill. I'm curious how well the windows defrost? I currently drive a 2006 Honda Odyssey. With 8 people inside, it will barely keep the front window and that's starting from a garage that is above freezing. I'm curious if the Ascent will struggle as well?

Thank you

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
It isn't uncommon where I live for us to get down to -40C (-40F) without windchill. I'm curious how well the windows defrost? I currently drive a 2006 Honda Odyssey. With 8 people inside, it will barely keep the front window and that's starting from a garage that is above freezing. I'm curious if the Ascent will struggle as well?

Thank you
I can not reply from a position of having experience with -40F (thankfully), but here in Colorado I have not had any issues. You probably need to adjust settings to address humidity from the occupants. I keep the front and rear heaters on along with the electric defrosters (since sometimes I am dealing with precipitation as well as cold temps). You also may have to get the interior warmed up prior to heading out (so the system is not working uphill to reach a temp that can be maintained). Warm air holds greater moisture so turn the air conditioning on and the re-circulating option off. You will want fresh dry air in the vehicle.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
I've hit negative teens for extended times, and they defrost fine at those temps, but, that's a far cry from negative forties.

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Those are some seriously low temperatures! Does any factory car defrost well when it’s that cold?

·
Registered
775 Posts
I haven't been too deep into the negatives, but I do drive 3-4 wet teenagers home from swim practice year round, and in the cool or cold weather, the defrost system in the Subaru is very good keeping the inside windows from fogging up, or freezing if it's cold enough. The best car I've ever owned, though, is the Jaguar F Pace, because it has a heated windshield and nothing ever accumulates inside or outside, no matter how horrible the weather is. Although I don't drive that one in the bad weather ( it has performance tires on it, and since I have two other cars with snow tires I use them instead when the weather is bad), it's more of a fun car.
I never had any issues with my Odyssey, except the windows between the C&d pillars, which would occasionally fog up - no direct vents for those windows iirc.
The issue I have had is the weak AC in the summer has a hard time clearing the windows of moisture with those same wet kids. Dealership said everything checked out so it is what it is.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
The issue I have had is the weak AC in the summer has a hard time clearing the windows of moisture with those same wet kids. Dealership said everything checked out so it is what it is
I'd have them check again. Even in the middle of the desert for days, we couldn't run it anywhere near full blast, or we'd freeze.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'd have them check again. Even in the middle of the desert for days, we couldn't run it anywhere near full blast, or we'd freeze.
I will definitely do that, but we'll have to wait until it's a little bit warmer up here in the Northeast. The problem is it does eventually get cold, it's just that it takes about 20 minutes of drive time ( whether I have the AC on or not during that time) before it actually starts blowing out genuinely cold air on a hot day, and they wouldn't keep the car overnight to try it out. The dealership is 25 minutes away so it starts blowing cold air right as I get off the highway to get to their shop.
I know it will definitely blow cold air, because when they had it in last time, there was condensation all over the entire car after they had the AC on Max for about 20 minutes ( this of course after I had driven the 25 minutes to the dealership ?). And, on longer trips, it definitely is comfortable and cool after half an hour. If it got cool as fast as the car gets warm in the winter, it would be perfect. I've never had a car that blows heat so quickly in cold weather!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts