Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.
I am wondering if any one tried to figure out how to replace existing USB port with USB C ?

Just curious as most of the devices now a days ship with USB C cable's.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I am using an A to C cable for my needs. But, for faster charging, get an aftermarket integrateable charging unit that can mount through a panel. I need MicroUSB more often than anything else, so I just got a smart, high power dual USB port that I am putting in the kick panel next to the passenger's left leg.

To connect, any USB-A to USB-C cord will work. For data, pick a high quality one. I really liked the original version of this one (the new version is supposed to be better, but I haven't tried it):

And this one is pretty good, too...

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm lazy.... Besides, mine is a lease, so any modification always involves the same tear-down at the end of the cycle.

I just plug the power-adapter directly into the very convenient 120-AC plugs in my Touring. :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
I curious, what are you using the Type C plug for in the vehicle? Everything I have with a Type C has USB on the other end ( Example - Cell phone Type C but USB on the other end of cord for charging)

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
628 Posts
Type C is a type of USB ;)

If the vehicle is a lease just use USB A to C cable as suggested. USB C is not faster to charge by nature of the port. It's the power source and device that matters.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I still don't understand why you would use a Type C in the Ascent vs regular USB on that end. For example, my cellphone is Type C and the other end of the charger is USB (3.0) - straight into USB Charging port - like in the Ascent. What do you have with Type C that would be directly plugged into the Ascent. I'm curious - never seen anything that would use it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,844 Posts
I still don't understand why you would use a Type C in the Ascent vs regular USB on that end. For example, my cellphone is Type C and the other end of the charger is USB (3.0) - straight into USB Charging port - like in the Ascent. What do you have with Type C that would be directly plugged into the Ascent. I'm curious - never seen anything that would use it.
OEM iPhone charging cable that comes with the device is now USB-C on the charger end since the computers only have USB-C ports now. That said, a good quality USB v3 to Lightning cable is really easy to come buy and in short lengths more appropriate for in-vehicle use.

·
Registered
566 Posts
OEM iPhone charging cable that comes with the device is now USB-C on the charger end since the computers only have USB-C ports now. That said, a good quality USB v3 to Lightning cable is really easy to come buy and in short lengths more appropriate for in-vehicle use.
Thanks - didn't know that. I'm an Android user.

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
OEM iPhone charging cable that comes with the device is now USB-C on the charger end
Might be worth noting that using the adapter shown above will allow you to plug in and charge your iPhone in your Ascent at the lower rate, not the faster rate of the block that came with that charger.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Might be worth noting that using the adapter shown above will allow you to plug in and charge your iPhone in your Ascent at the lower rate, not the faster rate of the block that came with that charger.
^ Thanks, this is good to know, as it's really the laptop(s) that are the power-suckers, particularly when taking meetings on Zoom or the like, in-vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
^ Thanks, this is good to know, as it's really the laptop(s) that are the power-suckers, particularly when taking meetings on Zoom or the like, in-vehicle.
If that's a common occurrence for anyone, they will likely be better served using a tablet for the video interactions because of much lower power requirements. if plugging in up front is desired. More comfortable to hold, too. :) The in-vehicle ports really cannot handle a laptop's power demands, although the 120v inverter in the back seat side of the center console on upper trim will likely work with the normal laptop power brick. (A small stand-alone inverter could also be used with the 12v "cigarette" type port, too).

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Thanks - didn't know that. I'm an Android user.
You will likely see more and more USB-C devices as time passes. The physical format is also compatible with multiple technologies...beyond "USB", Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4 also use the same connector and cables and the ports (at least on many computers) support both USB and TB, for example. I'm sure there are bookies taking odds on when Apple might just put it on the portable devices instead of Lightning. :) There's always interesting discussion about that "out there". The connectors for USB-C are also easier to use than mini- and micro-USB commonly found on many other mobile devices, too, so perhaps there will be movement to USB-C for the Android world, too, at some point.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You will likely see more and more USB-C devices as time passes. The physical format is also compatible with multiple technologies...beyond "USB", Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4 also use the same connector and cables and the ports (at least on many computers) support both USB and TB, for example. I'm sure there are bookies taking odds on when Apple might just put it on the portable devices instead of Lightning. :) There's always interesting discussion about that "out there". The connectors for USB-C are also easier to use than mini- and micro-USB commonly found on many other mobile devices, too, so perhaps there will be movement to USB-C for the Android world, too, at some point.
I've had Type C on my last 3 Pixel (Google/Android) cellphones.

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
I've had Type C on my last 3 Pixel (Google/Android) cellphones.
That's the way to go if Android is desired...'cause it's unadulterated and not bloated by manufacturer and carrier "stuff". If I were 'forced" to go Android, Google's device wout get the nod. But there's little risk of that. LOL

·
Registered
668 Posts
If that's a common occurrence for anyone, they will likely be better served using a tablet for the video interactions because of much lower power requirements. if plugging in up front is desired. More comfortable to hold, too. :) The in-vehicle ports really cannot handle a laptop's power demands, although the 120v inverter in the back seat side of the center console on upper trim will likely work with the normal laptop power brick. (A small stand-alone inverter could also be used with the 12v "cigarette" type port, too).
*emphasis added:

I experimented with a couple of aftermarket "bricks" because the size and weight-distribution of the OE-Apple brick sometimes caused it to self-unplug, and that's currently what we're using, when recharging of the laptop is necessary.

Otherwise, like you said, a tablet is indeed more convenient. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Yes, the MBA and MBP "bricks" kinda expect the wall to be there if they are plugged in with that orientation. A short "pigtail" type extension might be one solution for in the vehicle as it will allow the brick to rest on the floor, etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've run a mac pro and a thinkpad t480 direct from the 12v port in the dash using a 45W 12v to USB C PD plug. Mine is linked below but no longer available. Other similar are available pushing up to 60W through USB-C if you search around. This doesn't get your phone on carplay/A-Auto but for high draw usb-c charging requirements it's the cleanest solution. I leave it plugged in the cubby all the time with the USB c cable in the console ready to go for any Type-c device I happen to have in the car.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
its a car.. Point A to point B, but as you noted Jim in another thread infotainment is a highly desirable feature in our vehicles. Having a trouble free fully featured unit is better than gold. As I recall there is nothing in the Wheels on the Bus song about infotainment units.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts