Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's basically impossible to put the rubber tube gasket back on the bottom plastic sleeve without removing the plastic sleeve from the hole. I struggled with this for the past week but I finally figured it out. While the plastic sleeve is in the hole, there should be a little room to lift it up slightly, enough to get a flat head screwdriver in there. There are basically clips which hold the sleeve in place on the sides. See attached photo and where arrows are pointing. You need to push that inward and in the same motion lift up with that screwdriver. Do one clip and then do the other and it will come out of the hole. Then you can put the rubber gasket back on much easier, then just push that plastic sleeve back in the hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
A lot of people stressed how hard it is to pull the wire through the black weatherproof elastic trim. I used a 12 inch piece of 18 gauge wire, taped some electrical tape and pulled it right through in about 10 seconds. I would imagine you could do the same with the metal coat hanger. Also the plastic trim piece that butts up against the rear window completely cracked on mine while pulling down. That’s because the temperature was about 50° and the plastic is very brittle in cold temperatures. Like others have said my fuse also came blown luckily I had spares in the basement. Very satisfied with the outcome.

So I recommend doing it in temperatures over 60°, and having a spare fuse and a pair of wire cutters since mine was missing a plastic connection clip and had to splice them together. Took me an 1.5 hours total.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.