Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need to wire up my rear dash camera and run a wire from the interior to the hatch. How do you pop these off without breaking them so i can easily pull a wire through?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I came down the passenger side for my dash cam, if you just pull on the grommet it will come out of the body and lift gate, it will leave a white plastic piece in the hole, there is a small clip to remove that from the car and then reseat it in the grommet and just push it back in when your done. Take notice that the little edge on the grommet that looks like it should go inside the hole to seal it actually stays on the outside against the body. Here's a link to a bunch of pictures about it. subaru rear lift gate wiring grommets - Google Search

I had put the Subispeed rear gate light in at the same time so I had both of them out. Wiring for that comes up from the interior light on lower left corner in rear area.
For my camera I ran power down the driver side A pillar, bit of an issue getting thru it as there is an airbag behind and a safety cable to keep the airbag from throwing the pillar cover at you if the bag goes off. Pull the driver side edge of dash pieces and your right above the fuse connectors.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
@Cozmo85

The rubber channels do not come off easily, and, people have broken them. But, you can snake a wire through them.

The ivory trim piece in the car just unclips. Start at one end, try not to bend it, and pull it off. Be aware of flying clips. The clips slide on their retainers on the trim piece, and, aligning all of them to put it back is a pain. Start on one side, align a set, and slowly work your way from right to left, or left to right.

The back panels of the liftgate require removing screws, including in the liftgate inside handle. There are photos of this on the other threads regarding liftgate lights. So, for that, I'd just do a search, and pick the photo set you're happiest with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, the trim is easy, just like on my outback. Just wasn't sure on the rubber hoses to pass wires through. My VW was almost impossible to not break them.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
IIRC, there's a retainer in the seals of the rubber tubes in the inside of the liftgate and of the car side. I wish I'd taken photos.

Here's a thread with some photos.

Here's a Forester video that's got a similar installation (except our side light is in the opposite side)
4m30 seconds, he deals with the grommets. I don't suggest that method. It's how many people puncture or damage the seal and get water leaks.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Perfect, looks like you can just pull the rubber off the white plastic ring without even popping the ring. The video is super helpful. Gonna finish this tonight i think.
Yes, but, just be careful with that method. That's usually how it tears - but it will work. It's how I did it. You will then need to pop the clips, and reinstall them on the grommets, and then pop everything back in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts