Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ended up getting the Thule Force XL (accessories are 20% off right now through Subaru), but I’m not sure exactly where to position it on the roof. Obviously it needs enough clearance for the liftgate, but should I try to avoid covering the antenna as best I can? That would place it far enough forward that it just about lines up with the front end of the moonroof and the front edges of the roof rails. Is that too far forward? The instructions say nothing about north-south placement. Thanks.

·
Registered
978 Posts
So I ended up getting the Thule Force XL (accessories are 20% off right now through Subaru), but I’m not sure exactly where to position it on the roof. Obviously it needs enough clearance for the liftgate, but should I try to avoid covering the antenna as best I can? That would place it far enough forward that it just about lines up with the front end of the moonroof and the front edges of the roof rails. Is that too far forward? The instructions say nothing about north-south placement. Thanks.
Every car I’ve ever ran my box on I push the box as far forward as it will go. Especially the Subarus which always suffer lots of rear suspension sag. Pushing it forward helps get weight forward.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm putting an older Thule box on my new racks. Going over the instructions, the instructions state crossbars to the widest position and mount the box further towards the rear to minimize wind resistance. I'm playing with the positioning of the crossbars. The front crossbars are mounted over separator of the moonroof so the view is not obscured inside. The rear is off the rear of the moonroof now, about 25 inches. So, I'm bound by the stretch of the clamps for the box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't set up our new Ascent yet, but on my old Outback I used this basic procedure to avoid hatch clearance issues (I wanted the rear hatch to open completely when the box was in place):
1. Adjust the rear clamps on the box as far back as possible
2. Put the box on the roof and attach the rear clamps to the loosened rear cross bar
3. Slide the box and rear cross bar forward just far enough so the open rear hatch clears the back of the box (and the box clears the antenna if you wish). Tighten the rear cross bar.
4. Adjust the front crossbar as far forward as practical and adjust the front box clamps to match.
5. Tighten up everything, and the next time you put the box on everything should be in the right place.
A longer front-to-back spread between the cross bars will generally make the box more stable, especially when loaded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts