Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent LTD
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Long time lurker, first post. I have a 2020 Ascent Limited (CDN model) and wanted to send out thanks to everyone who posted their experiences (and pictures) of installing the OEM Hitch. After seeing all of the people on this forum doing it and having little trouble I picked up the 003 revision from one of the dealers here in Calgary and did the install in about 2.5 hours, with only a little blood, and a pinched finger. Caught my middle finger between the hitch and the one bolt that is left behind when you remove the bumper. Hurt like hell, and don't recommend doing that. Lucky I was wearing mechanics gloves at the time.

I used the thread below, and the two youtube videos as guides, and unlike the one video I did not break any of the trim clips. My OEM hitch kit did not include any printed instructions, so thank you to the person who posted them in the thread below.

Sorry for the long opening, but how do you pick the right drop and ball for your trailer? I'm lost.

We are getting a 2018 KZ Escape E201RB Ultra lightweight Travel Trailer for a song (current owner purchased it for his wife 2 years ago new, but she passed away so he wants it gone) and it has only been used twice and includes the extended warranty, but I have to move it shortly from here it is stored. I decided against the OEM bar as here in Canada Subaru charges around $100 +/- 30, so I'm going to get an aftermarket one.

Where do I start?

Thanks in advance.

Chess

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,843 Posts
Sorry for the long opening, but how do you pick the right drop and ball for your trailer? I'm lost.
Ball size is easy...you use the size that is specified for your trailer's hitch system. It will likely be 2" but it could also be 2 5/16" in some cases.

Drop is a math problem. You need to know the trailer's correct ball height from the ground for level. A 6" drop ball mount on the Ascent will provide a ball height of 18-19" on a level surface. That's a common ball height but not appropriate for every trailer. If your trailer needs a ball height of 20-21" then a 4" drop ball mount is likely a good choice. You can consider an adjustable height ball mount if you happen to have more than one trailer, too. So the bottom line...you need to either have your trailer in-hand or have the required ball height specification in order to purchase the correct ball mount (and ball size) for your trailer.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent LTD
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ball size is easy...you use the size that is specified for your trailer's hitch system. It will likely be 2" but it could also be 2 5/16" in some cases.
Thank you @Jim_in_PA for your reply!

I think I'll reach out to the manufacture to confirm the ball size just to be sure. Already gone through the trailer's owner manual and it does not state this info anywhere that I can find. I guess I could just pick up both and return the one that is the wrong size but with Covid floating around I'd like to limit my possible exposure.

Drop is a math problem. You need to know the trailer's correct ball height from the ground for level. A 6" drop ball mount on the Ascent will provide a ball height of 18-19" on a level surface. That's a common ball height but not appropriate for every trailer. If your trailer needs a ball height of 20-21" then a 4" drop ball mount is likely a good choice. You can consider an adjustable height ball mount if you happen to have more than one trailer, too. So the bottom line...you need to either have your trailer in-hand or have the required ball height specification in order to purchase the correct ball mount (and ball size) for your trailer.
Again here the manual states 18 to 22 inches and then plus or minus 1 to 2 inches. I think I'll go with your idea on an adjustable ball mount. Never considered that. That will give me some wiggle room as the one I'm looking at gives me 4 drops from 3 to 7 and 1/2 inches. Also 4 rises, but I doubt I'll need that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thank you @Jim_in_PA for your reply!
I think I'll go with your idea on an adjustable ball mount. Never considered that. That will give me some wiggle room as the one I'm looking at gives me 4 drops from 3 to 7 and 1/2 inches. Also 4 rises, but I doubt I'll need that.
A wise choice indeed. This way you can tow other trailers without fear of incorrect height. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts