Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this kit online for about $260 which is a much better price than having the dealership do it. If you really take your time, this is about a 20 minute job. Literally 9 screws per door.

Start by removing the two trim pieces as indicated in the first picture. Just pop them off with a small flat blade screwdriver or a trim tool, though I found most trim tools are too flexible.
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7273&thumb=1

Next remove the trim along the back edge of the window by working your fingers under the edge by the glass and pulling outward HARD.
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7277&thumb=1

Starting at the bottom of the door, work in a trim tool into any gap you can get into and pull outwards. Once you get the first one loose just use your fingers to pop out the others around the door. This is pretty easy. Lift off the door panel and set it against the wall or lay it down on a soft surface that won't scratch the panel. Remove the 7 screws indicated and take out the top trim piece.
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7275&thumb=1

Install the window shade and reinstall the same 7 screws
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7279&thumb=1

Pull up the shade to test it before putting the door panel back on:
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7281&thumb=1

Reinstall the door panel and the shade will slide up to the hooks already in the door.
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7283&thumb=1

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, we want to do this to our new premium ascent! My only concern is, if we do it ourselves do we void any warranty from Subaru? I really want the shades but the ridiculous price the dealer wants to instal for is a serious barrier.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Great post. Thanks for the write up! Id love to do this but honestly I cant justify spending over 200 dollars on sunshades. That just seems crazy!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,526 Posts
Great post. Thanks for the write up! Id love to do this but honestly I cant justify spending over 200 dollars on sunshades. That just seems crazy!
It comes down to how much you'll use them as well as how much better coverage they have compared to "stick-on" temporary ones. Someone with young children might benefit from them a lot because of frequent use, while folks who only have occasional occupants in the back will rarely, if ever use them. $200 isn't inexpensive, but that cost makes for a fully integrated solution that's there when you need it and tucked away without taking up space or being subject to damage when you don't need it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We mainly did it because we have an infant and my wife doesn't want her to get to much sunshine when they drive but also doesn't want to close her in. Window tinting costs a lot more, stick on shades fall off in the summer, and the clip on ones can damage the window seals and cause wind noise. So, for us, the roll up shades were the best option. Yes it's expensive, but it also has the factory fit and finish.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, we want to do this to our new premium ascent! My only concern is, if we do it ourselves do we void any warranty from Subaru? I really want the shades but the ridiculous price the dealer wants to instal for is a serious barrier.
You are probably OK since it's factory parts. The MFG has a burden to prove that the part you added caused the problem before they can deny you warranty. But this is a genuine Subaru kit so don't see too much possibility of problems there unless you really messed up during the install. Since all of the windows shades are always dealer installed there might not actually be any way to verify that the car came with the shades or not as none of them were built at the factory with shades except for the trims that always include them.

The worst I can think of is that you'll have to go with a warranty on the part itself rather than the bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,526 Posts
The law (US) doesn't permit a manufacturer to "void a warranty" for owner-installed parts or even third party parts outside of denying coverage for a specific thing that they can show was actually caused by the third party product, etc. For example, they can't deny a claim on the entertainment system because you installed a third party muffler or installed an unrelated Subaru accessory yourself.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If your priority is function over form, then it's likely crazy thing to do. I think it's more feasible to get all the side windows tinted instead for $200.

Fortunately, I have a Limited and I only tint the front windows which was $80 OTD from Subaru.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What would you rate this in terms of difficulty on a scale of 1-10, 10 being most difficult?

Looks, to me, like a 4 or a 5.

Also, how likely is it to break anything of substance during this process? I am really on the fence about buying this or buying seat covers. I am a relatively handy person, but I am a little wary about pulling off my door panels on my 2 week old car. We have two young kids, so both could be useful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did this to my Premium as well and it was very easy. One thing to note is that the clips on the window trim can be very tight. Just be sure to pry by the clip locations that way you don’t stress the plastic and leave any marks.

Also make sure your kids dont accidentally drop anything into the sunshade opening. Small toys, coins, etc can jam up the roll.

There is also this online resource as well if you need more step by step instructions:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Silly question. How do these things retract? Don’t seem to be spring loaded— maybe I’m installing them incorrectly?

·
Registered
48 Posts
To close out my contributions to this thread: it indeed was a case of defective parts. Dealership replaced them (broken springs internal to the shades) as warranty item. We appear to be all good now. Thanks for the replies

1 - 20 of 22 Posts