Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So out of the blue today when returning to my car from the store, I couldn’t unlock my driver door with the fob in my pocket, nor would the unlock button on the fob work when I pushed it. So there I was in the grocery store parking lot unable to get back in the car. I then pulled the key out of the fob and proceeded to manually unlock the driver door, which worked, but sounded the alarm. I hopped in and struggled to get it disarmed, finally succeeding by pressing the unlock button on the fob over and over.

Questions:

1. No idea why the fob didn’t allow me to unlock at the time, but what did I do wrong in gaining access that caused the alarm to sound? What is the appropriate action when the fob stops working?

2. How would I have disabled the alarm if the unlock button on the fob wouldn’t have worked? For example, if the battery in the fob had completely died or the fob had otherwise stopped working completely?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Check out page 428 of the user manual. You're supposed to unlock the door with the emergency key, engage the parking brake, step brother brake pedal, and push the Engine Start button with the back of the fob itself (have the front of the fob facing you). I'm guessing this still requires a little bit of juice left in the fob battery; and if the fob is damaged you might be s.o.l. and calling roadside assistance.

·
Registered
584 Posts
In addition to using the Key like you did (many don't know about that), you should also program a Pin Code into the little button on the hatch back door. Here is one of many videos, but it's a heck of a lot easier if you have the manual in had with instructions or someone reading them to you. It's very easy to do, but you only have so many seconds for each step.

This button that you program is not visible. It's to the right of the license plate. If I recall correctly, it's "shaped like a staple" (not round) and is not facing you - you reach it with your fingers just like you do to open the hatch door. If you do a search on this site, there are many posts/articles on it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
In addition to using the Key like you did (many don't know about that), you should also program a Pin Code into the little button on the hatch back door. Here is one of many videos, but it's a heck of a lot easier if you have the manual in had with instructions or someone reading them to you. It's very easy to do, but you only have so many seconds for each step.

This button that you program is not visible. It's to the left of the license plate. If I recall correctly, it's "shaped like a staple" (not round) and is not facing you - you reach it with your fingers just like you do to open the hatch door. If you do a search on this site, there are many posts/articles on it.
It's on the right side (passenger side)

·
Registered
978 Posts
As a side note I had a elder family member buy a new car recently she had all sorts of issues like this. We finally checked the battery in the key fob. It was the totally wrong type/size battery. We replaced the fob battery with the correct battery and zero issues. Most bizarre thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts