Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT
ALL remaining lost presets issues are resolved with one of the latest firmware updates. If you have this problem, get your head unit updated. You do NOT need to follow the steps below. Simply update your head unit, set up your driver's profile, and store your presets.

Original post...
Hi all,

So far, after a couple dozen users have used this method here and on Facebook, I have gotten ZERO reports of this not working for XM (if you follow EVERY step below exactly as listed, and it does not work for you, please let me know) and ONE report of this not working for FM/AM on a non-navigation head unit.

This should likely be done with your car outside and not in a garage. If not, the radio may not get the XM satellite signal.

After many frustrating attempts at getting my radio to save my presets, doing the steps below in the order listed made mine stick for the last four thousand miles:

One user has reported that this MAY not work for FM or on non-nav systems.

FIRST/ONLY DRIVER:

1. Activate your SiriusXM account online for the Ascent.
  2. Have only ONE FOB in the car, and remember which one it is.
  3. Start car with that FOB on your possession.
  4. Verify your subscription shows up on the Infotainment System.
  5. FACTORY reset the Infotainment System
    --->(Settings->scroll to bottom->Factory Reset).
  6. Re-verify your subscription shows up on the Infotainment System.
  7. Ensure your system is updated to the latest firmware (v4.18.20.50 for Nav systems, v4.18.11.50 for non-Nav systems). If not, then follow the instructions in the manual to update your system.
  8. Create a new driver profile.
  9. Add presets.

SECOND/THIRD DRIVER(S):
IF you have another driver, then, after doing the above, do these steps:
  1. Turn OFF the car, if it's on.
  2. Remove KeyFOB 1 from the car and put it someplace where the car can't sense it.
  3. Have A DIFFERENT FOB on you, and remember which one it is.
  4. Start car with that second FOB on your possession.
  5. Create a new second (third, fourth, etc) driver profile.
  6. Add presets.

AT THIS TIME: The dealer replacing the radio (since it will have the same software as the one currently in your car) will NOT "fix" the issue unless they get lucky and the setup stage closely mirrors the instructions above. So, save yourself them ripping apart the dash for something you can fix yourself.

There will be an update at some point in the future (possibly in the near future) that addresses this.

Hope that helps!!!

EVERYONE, PLEASE let me know your results.
So far, everyone I've talked to who's tried this has kept their presets.
If that's not the case for any of you, I would like to know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for sharing this, Robert. I am having the problem of my Ascent erasing my FM favorites when I plug my phone in to CarPlay. It keeps all of the XM satellite favorites, but for some reason clears all of the FM stations. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing this, Robert. I am having the problem of my Ascent erasing my FM favorites when I plug my phone in to CarPlay. It keeps all of the XM satellite favorites, but for some reason clears all of the FM stations. Any ideas?
Did you try the steps above? Mine too would lose either the FM, or the XM or both or none for a bit.

If you've tried the steps above, in that order, skipping none, and are still having problems with FM presets vanishing, please let me know.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,

So far, after a couple dozen users have used this method here and on Facebook, I have gotten ZERO reports of this not working for XM (if you follow EVERY step below exactly as listed, and it does not work for you, please let me know) and ONE report of this not working for FM/AM on a non-navigation head unit.

This should likely be done with your car outside and not in a garage. If not, the radio may not get the XM satellite signal.

After many frustrating attempts at getting my radio to save my presets, doing the steps below in the order listed made mine stick for the last four thousand miles:

One user has reported that this MAY not work for FM or on non-nav systems.

FIRST/ONLY DRIVER:

1. Activate your SiriusXM account online for the Ascent.
  2. Have only ONE FOB in the car, and remember which one it is.
  3. Start car with that FOB on your possession.
  4. Verify your subscription shows up on the Infotainment System.
  5. FACTORY reset the Infotainment System
    --->(Settings->scroll to bottom->Factory Reset).
  6. Re-verify your subscription shows up on the Infotainment System.
  7. Ensure your system is updated to the latest firmware (v4.18.20.50 for Nav systems, v4.18.11.50 for non-Nav systems). If not, then follow the instructions in the manual to update your system.
  8. Create a new driver profile.
  9. Add presets.

SECOND/THIRD DRIVER(S):
IF you have another driver, then, after doing the above, do these steps:
  1. Turn OFF the car, if it's on.
  2. Remove KeyFOB 1 from the car and put it someplace where the car can't sense it.
  3. Have A DIFFERENT FOB on you, and remember which one it is.
  4. Start car with that second FOB on your possession.
  5. Create a new second (third, fourth, etc) driver profile.
  6. Add presets.
AT THIS TIME: The dealer replacing the radio (since it will have the same software as the one currently in your car) will NOT "fix" the issue unless they get lucky and the setup stage closely mirrors the instructions above. So, save yourself them ripping apart the dash for something you can fix yourself.

There will be an update at some point in the future (possibly in the near future) that addresses this.

Hope that helps!!!

EVERYONE, PLEASE let me know your results.
So far, everyone I've talked to who's tried this has kept their presets.
If that's not the case for any of you, I would like to know.
Every time I change any presets I have to go thru your check list again?

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Every time I change any presets I have to go thru your check list again?
No, there's an update that fixes this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am planning to try this soon... But to clarify, do you expect this reset to work in a car with two drivers and no xm subscription? One of us has Android and the other an iPhone. We don't plug our phones in on daily drives, just longer trips. Our fm presets disappear all the time including after making separate profiles. Thanks!

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am planning to try this soon... But to clarify, do you expect this reset to work in a car with two drivers and no xm subscription? One of us has Android and the other an iPhone. We don't plug our phones in on daily drives, just longer trips. Our fm presets disappear all the time including after making separate profiles. Thanks!
Have you updated your firmware on the head unit?

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I missed wherever a suggestion was made to update firmware on the head unit. I think our car is set to update when it connects to the wifi at our house...? Not sure how to do this or if it's been done.
Alas, over the air firmware updates are not available at this time.

If you have Navigation, go to https://subaru-maps.com

If you don't, a dealer needs to update.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts