Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I’m on my phone and can’t search well and my dad wants us to tow a trailer. How do we disable RAB so we can back up the trailer without it emergency stopping? Photos of where we can find the buttons would especially helpful. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
When in reverse, on the bottom left corner of the main display showing the backup camera image, is a touch screen button to disable RAB. Page 368 in the manual.

I suggest downloading the pdf copy of the manual to make things easier to find. The manual pdfs are available on the My Subaru website under "Support and Resources."

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
You need to hold your finger on the screen button for several seconds until it grays out. On the other side is the alert button you might want to disable as well to stop the racket. Additionally, plan on having to do this every time you backup as it doesn't stay off. While towing you should also disengage the BSD/RCTA system, otherwise you will likely get false alerts because of the trailer. This is a button on the dash to the left of your left knee. Unlike RAB, this feature once deactivated stays off until you reactivate it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You need to hold your finger on the screen button for several seconds until it grays out. On the other side is the alert button you might want to disable as well to stop the racket. Additionally, plan on having to do this every time you backup as it doesn't stay off. While towing you should also disengage the BSD/RCTA system, otherwise you will likely get false alerts because of the trailer. This is a button on the dash to the left of your left knee. Unlike RAB, this feature once deactivated stays off until you reactivate it.
Oh, thanks a lot for the recommendation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have found that if you maneuver very slowly, the RAB stays off. You can go forward and reverse multiple times without having to turn it off each time you shift into reverse. I use this for fine tuning the position of my trailers when backing into my community storage area where I have to shoehorn them between other trailers and RVs and on my driveway or campsite where I want to adjust position. It only works if you keep the speed very slow. I don't know the threshold speed at which it re-activates the RAB, perhaps 1 or 2 mph.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I have pulled with ours the RAB will figure out there’s a trailer and automatically turn itself off anytime I go in reverse. I do occasionally get false readings on the Bling Spot Detection in a tight turn. I’ve found if you put the car in reverse and wait a couple seconds it will figure out to turn off RAB, but if you immediately start backing up be ready for it to auto-brake and scare the heck out of you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is there any way to turn off the RAB alarm? With the RAB off the alarm still goes off when backing up to my trailer. I am wondering if there is a sub menu that will turn off the alarm when you turn off the RAB.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Bottom right of the screen - opposite the RAB button you touch to turn RAB off, is the alert button that will turn off the alarm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts