10,968 Posts

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
some info on supported cars, Looks like there is official support and Community support-

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
So basically just prevents the “put hands on steering wheel” message from coming up and then disabling LKA if you don’t? I’d love to try this, but can’t justify $999. I’ll be a guinea pig when they support the Ascent if someone wants to volunteer to buy me one! Looks like only crosstrek and Impreza so far

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a FreOn up and running on my 2020 ascent. It’s working great, better then I could of imagine. You can find out lots of info by joining their Discord. I got a Subaru harness and black panda. Made my own comma with a oneplus 3t and had a forum member 3D print me a case. it has a magnetic mechanism so I can slide phone in and out easily without connecting or disconnecting any cable. After some tinkering it’s driving almost dead center now. It’s great on freeway and just okay locally. I mounted it super high bc my wife hates me installing stuff in her car. This way when she’s driving I just take the phone out and there’s just a small part of case showing.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thats impressive. Can you share link to that Forum? What did it cost you in total? I would like to get a 3d printed phone mount as well.. Willing to pay for it.
Can you share any pics of Installation/ tear down?

Which model subaru harness did you buy? (they have Crosstek and Impreza) Did you upload your car configuration to Git?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Join comma ai discord. It had all the info in there. I used the imprezza harness. Bought a oneplus 3t off eBay for 90 bucks.
Can you post some notes/pics around how you opened the camera don in car and how you ran your cable along pillar.
I tried ai discord and there arent may talking about Ascent Foot print. Any help on how to set that up in GIT ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see the official support on Comma website.
can any one help me with removing the eyesight camera cover to get this installed? I am buying the system but don't know how to remove the dom.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Comma AI now officially supports '19 Ascent. It should technically work with '20 as well but I expect official announcement to come within the next two releases.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
That looks like such a very interesting solution. I have so many other projects and my Moab trip coming up, so, it's not anywhere in my near time frame, but it's something I'd love to test and video in action.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Comma AI now officially supports '19 Ascent. It should technically work with '20 as well but I expect official announcement to come within the next two releases.
Its been out since 2020 July for 2019.
The current version is 0.8.0.
I been using this on my road rips and its been a breeze.
This system how ever controls only your steering and sees 2 additional lanes on each side of the car. Pretty neat how ML can help this.
But Lead car detection still happens using Eyesight, this should change in 0.8.X version.
I can post videos if any one like to see.

Latest release - https://github.com/commaai/openpilot/releases/tag/v0.8

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I think there's some pics up thread...

...and here's a video of an Ascent using it.

I asked the owner of the one in the video a few questions, and here's the questions and answers:

1. Does it integrate with the rear radar sensors for use when changing lanes?
    Yes it does use the blind spot sensors when changing lanes, if blind spot sensors detect objects it will cancel the lane change.

2. Does it support auto-restart during stop and go traffic?
    No it doesn't. The current integration with Subaru for leading vehicle detection is still relying on the eyesight system(which is still superior than other systems). I heard in the forum that they will change it in the future but not sure when.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have it in my Prius Prime. So, I reached out to comma support with this message

"
I have two cars and only use one at a time. Is it sufficient to purchase and install just the $200 harness specific to the second car and reuse the phone/device?
I am not sure if the $200 harness purchase comes with the required black gps unit.
Can you confirm?
"

Here is the response :)

I will go ahead and buy an ascent harness.🥳

·
Registered
2 Posts
I set up a 15% off Group Buy - if we get 10 or more people to commit to buying by December 30th, we each get 15% off.

Commit to buy by: Dec 30, 2020
Buy with Discount by: Jan 15, 2021

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just installed Comma 2 device running Openpilot in our 2019 Ascent and used for a 250 mile trip. I really love it! It addresses my greatest complaint about the light and sensitive steering especially for highway driving. Works incredibly well, with my baseline experience for comparison being my 2017 Honda Accord with Honda Sensing and LKAS.

I did notice some issues with it unfortunately. A variety of errors seem to occur. For example, if I start the car, I may get an error saying that Eyesight is not working or not detected and the Comma 2 device also is not working. The Comma device also may show an error that says "CAN Error: Check connections". It may resolve if I shut off the car and restart it. Not so bad if the error message comes up upon first starting the car, as there is a chance to address it before starting to drive. However, one time the error happened while driving. I happened to be at a red light, so I put it in park, and turned off the car, and restarted the car and the issue resolved. There were also times when the car would start, and Eyesight is working, but the Comma device does not power on. It seems to power on when I unplug it and plug it back in. Wondering if others like Proemail915 have noticed these issues? I am still within 30 day return period. I will probably try contacting Comma.ai to see what they say.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts