Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SUBARU HOW TO:
#SubaruAscent

Here's how to change all seven of your interior bulbs on your Subaru Ascent. They're all Type 194 bulbs.

If you change to LEDs, I suggest these CANBUS safe LED replacements:

#Subaru #SubaruAmbassador #SubaruAmbassadorRobert #SubaruHowTo

·
Registered
334 Posts
Has anyone come up with a source for warm LED bulbs? I'm all for changing these out but I hate the bright white.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has anyone come up with a source for warm LED bulbs? I'm all for changing these out but I hate the bright white.
Yep, someone else found a source, which I mention briefly in the vid and on the YouTube page. Sorry i forgot to mention above. I've fixed that. Adding it to the YouTube description too.

I hate the bright white too. I got the 3,100K bulbs.

·
Registered
597 Posts
SUBARU HOW TO:
#SubaruAscent

Here's how to change all seven of your interior bulbs on your Subaru Ascent. They're all Type 194 bulbs.

Great Video on how to change out the bulbs. But how did you add one to the Rear Hatch? That side light is always the first thing to be blocked as I prefer to put things away from the speaker.

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
Great Video on how to change out the bulbs. But how did you add one to the Rear Hatch? That side light is always the first thing to be blocked as I prefer to put things away from the speaker.
That side light is so useless that I pulled a bulb from it temporarily to replace a dimmed license plate light! So much for the cheap Amazon LED's. I did put the better bulb back in the trunk light after I got a set of Philips LED's for the license plate though.

@Robert.Mauro I'm just curious, do the canbus bulbs provide any benefit with the Ascent? I don't recall ever seeing a 'bulb-out' message

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That side light is so useless that I pulled a bulb from it temporarily to replace a dimmed license plate light! So much for the cheap Amazon LED's. I did put the better bulb back in the trunk light after I got a set of Philips LED's for the license plate though.

@Robert.Mauro I'm just curious, do the canbus bulbs provide any benefit with the Ascent? I don't recall ever seeing a 'bulb-out' message
On my 2010 Outback, I would get codes thrown on the ECU, even for bulbs that had no warning. So, since then, I switched to CANBUS safe ones as a just in case.

Can't hurt, and the price is good.

I won't be driving with lights on, but I could see those with a family having kids in the second or third row who turn on a light.

Since they're controlled to some extent by the computer (eg: approach lighting and such), it would avoid codes being thrown when the light is left on for a while.

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
Thanks. That makes sense

Besides the looks (I do like the white light) the main reason I went LED inside was because the kids like to leave a light on every once in a while. LED's never drain the battery much

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone else did a video on installing that thing. It's a JDM Forester hatch light. Comes with the harness and all.

Because it's for a Foz, the harness wires are about 6" too small, and thus require extending.

SubiSpeed is the only place in this country that sells them, and even though their site virtually always says they're in stock, you can expect delivery to take one to three months.

It's an easy but time consuming job, but I really like the results.

There's a thread with instructions and alternate methods using easy to get lights from Amazon, in this lighting section.

·
Registered
154 Posts
SUBARU HOW TO:
#SubaruAscent

Exactly what I was looking for! I will be doing it soon

·
Registered
221 Posts
I used these bulbs when I did mine and I'm very happy with them:

I also replaced the puddle lights, side markers, and license plate lights.

Later I swapped the trunk light with this as the others weren't bright enough:

I used these backup lights:

The vanity bulbs I used aren't available anymore. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
SUBARU HOW TO:
#SubaruAscent

thank you for this valuable information. you are saving us tons on money when we need to do this...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the video. Made it super easy to swap them out. Reverse lights were easy enough to figure out. Working on the license plate lights now...

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Limited
5 Posts
SUBARU HOW TO:
#SubaruAscent

Any idea on how to replace the bulb in the center console that is above the center cupholders for the 2nd row? Or bulb number?

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any idea on how to replace the bulb in the center console that is above the center cupholders for the 2nd row? Or bulb number? View attachment 3812
I don't know the bulb number, but, someplace in the forums I posted drawings for someone trying to disassemble that console to replace the rear flip down coffee cup holder. I'm heading off to work, but, if you can't find that thread, let me know. But, basically, that will show you all you need to know, except the bulb size. I'd guess it's a 194 like the rest, but, that's just a guess based on how few other bulbs are not a 194 inside.

·
Registered
104 Posts
SUBARU HOW TO:
#SubaruAscent

Robert,
Thanks for the video on how to change the interior lights on the Ascent. Finally got around to ordering 7 #194 LED bulbs from SuperBright LEDs and also a Tresalto Auto Trim removal kit from Amazon. Took between 30 and 45 minutes and have all my interior bulbs upgraded to LED's. Much more light and they will draw less current in the event someone accidentally leaves a door open.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Limited
5 Posts
I saw in another forum that this light and the light under the front cubby where the cigarette lighter are already LED's, just a warm color.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was hoping to swap them out for Blue LEDs to match the other dash and cupholder accent lights. Do you have any idea if you can just pull them out or have to open up the consoles?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts