Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

So, as promised (finally), how to get Android Auto to work consistently.

There are two major factors:
  1. You MUST have a high quality data capable phone cable. I've had "OEM" (I think knock-offs) cables that do not work, btw, and one genuine OEM cable that doesn't as well (pretty sure it's just a charging cable).
  2. You must let the Infotainment System fully boot and start up before plugging in your phone. Wait until you see the Home screen, and then plug in your phone.
CABLES
Here's a list of tested cables for Android Auto:
WORKED:

DID NOT WORK:
PLUGGING IT IN
As mentioned above, start your car, let the Infotainment system boot to the Home screen, and THEN plug in your phone. Sometimes, plugging it in before then will work (because the Infotainment system is actually on, either because it didn't time out and shut off or because it was trying to update or do something else).

Once plugged in, you may or may not get a pop-up that tells you to check your phone. Just click "OK" or wait for it to disappear, if you're the patient type. In 10-45 seconds, the Android Auto icon will show (or un-grey, if you're on the apps screen) and Android Auto will start.

If you forget to wait before plugging it in (I have), and Android Auto does not work...
If you forget and plug it in first and it will not connect, then:
  • disconnect the car from your home wifi (assuming you're at home and you've previously connected the car) by turning off wifi (skip if you're not connected to your home wifi)
  • turn off the car
  • walk away from it with the FOB
  • wait a minute past all your lights turning off
  • walk back and start the car
  • wait for the Infotainment system to boot, and THEN plug in the phone

THEORETICALLY
The same applies for CarPlay. I have one ancient OEM cable that works fine with my iDevices, as long as I follow the "plugging it in" steps.

BONUS TIPS
  • "I am trying wireless Android Auto, but nothing is happening (or I am only getting audio)"
    The 2019-2020 Ascent head units do NOT support wireless Android Auto. You must use a wired cable.

• "I hear voices/static"
    Tune your radio to a valid radio station or XM channel. Your car turns the radio on whenever you start it - even if Android Auto is activated shortly after. The radio will KEEP playing until you choose to play something else or turn it off. So, if you don't have the radio tuned to something, you'll hear static or even voices in the distance (from a station that's not quite tuned in).

Also, there's a TSB related to static and noise, if it wasn't caused by being tuned between channels.

• "I hear no Android Auto music (Google Music, etc)"
    If you can't hear your Android Auto Music (Google Play Music or whatever you use), go into the Infotainment System Settings, into the sound tab, and turn up "ENTERTAINMENT" volume, which is different from "Media" volume (which controls bluetooth music volume, USB drive volume, etc).

• For Google Nav Users
    One other Android Auto tip, for those of you who like Googe Maps/Nav better than Waze... install Waze, log into Waze on your phone (one time thing), select all alerts you care about (cops, cameras, etc) and then...

Each time you get in the car, start AA as described in the first post, start Waze but don't select to navigate anywhere, and then start Google Maps.

"Why run Waze in the background, not navigating, when I am going to be using Google Nav to navigate?", you all ask?
    Simple. You will now get speed camera warnings, traffic warnings, speed trap warnings, police warnings, etc, read out to you by Waze, while Google Maps displays and reads out your directions and delays.

So, now, you will basically get all the "Warnings and Alerts" benefits of Waze, while using the better integrated Google Maps/Nav for your navigation needs.
I hope that helps! 😄

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is a great post for people who use it.

I don't use it, because it seems like all these apps are only half baked. I typically use the Bluetooth system of a car as a hands-free mic/speaker and then control everything directly on my device. (Disclaimer: I am a cloud software consultant, so this is preference not ignorance.)

Convince me to use Android Auto ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a great post for people who use it.

I don't use it, because it seems like all these apps are only half baked. I typically use the Bluetooth system of a car as a hands-free mic/speaker and then control everything directly on my device. (Disclaimer: I am a cloud software consultant, so this is preference not ignorance.)

Convince me to use Android Auto ;)
LOL, I've had complaints about AA for a while too. But, lately, I use Maps (Nav) and Google Play Music, which work exceedingly well. As for the rest? Hit or miss. None of my favorite music players work either.

·
Registered
184 Posts
LOL, I've had complaints about AA for a while too. But, lately, I use Maps (Nav) and Google Play Music, which work exceedingly well. As for the rest? Hit or miss. None of my favorite music players work either.
Hmmm ... Maps, huh? So can I plug in an Android, pull up my GCal, and have the 'location' address be 'automagically' mapped in the Ascent Nav system??

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm ... Maps, huh? So can I plug in an Android, pull up my GCal, and have the 'location' address be 'automagically' mapped in the Ascent Nav system??
I *think* if you have locations in your calendar events, the event will show on the "home" page of Android Auto, where you can select them. It shows an ever changing list of where it thinks you might want to be going.

I have not yet tried to select calendar events from AA's Maps/Nav, but they should show up there, since that's been a feature for a while now. I'll test both tonight.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I *think* if you have locations in your calendar events, the event will show on the "home" page of Android Auto, where you can select them. It shows an ever changing list of where it thinks you might want to be going.

I have not yet tried to select calendar events from AA's Maps/Nav, but they should show up there, since that's been a feature for a while now. I'll test both tonight.
Cool. Thx for the info.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can someone measure and tell me what is the shortest length cable I can get away with using? I would like the cable to be as short as possible for aesthetic purposes. I was looking at an Anker on amazon that is 4 inches but I am pretty sure that's too short. I am thinking maybe 6 inches.... I have carplay so i don't think I am going to find a good MIFI certified one with 90 degree connectors

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can someone measure and tell me what is the shortest length cable I can get away with using? I would like the cable to be as short as possible for aesthetic purposes. I was looking at an Anker on amazon that is 4 inches but I am pretty sure that's too short. I am thinking maybe 6 inches.... I have carplay so i don't think I am going to find a good MIFI certified one with 90 degree connectors
The one in my image in the first post is 12". Hope that helps. I'd suspect that's the smallest one can go with to put the phone in the little cubby below the Infotainment System.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Great Info! Thanks for doing all of this "leg-work" Robert! :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Great write up! I hope the Anker cables i currently use will work! I am torn and maybe someone can help.

Do i keep my order for my Limited and get it in September

- OR -

Cancel the order and get a Touring and get it in November?

(sorry to threadjack)

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great write up! I hope the Anker cables i currently use will work! I am torn and maybe someone can help.

Do i keep my order for my Limited and get it in September

- OR -

Cancel the order and get a Touring and get it in November?

(sorry to threadjack)
  1. Please let me know about the cable(s) you try. I'll work on updating the post when I know.
  2. I *LOVE* the Touring and everything about it. I am so glad I got it. I wanted the moonroof, I *LOVE* the cameras. Even though I thought I'd end up hating the singular interior color choice, I *LOVE* it. If you don't need the bench, then... maybe? What matters the most to you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
How about which phone will work with the ascent models? I looked on a compatible phone site and my Samsung note 5 was not compatible...my hubby Samsung s5 will work. Does this mean I have to go out and upgrade my phone to work now? Thats another payment per month for two years!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
The one in my image in the first post is 12". Hope that helps. I'd suspect that's the smallest one can go with to put the phone in the little cubby below the Infotainment System.
Very helpful thanks! I think you’re right 12” appears to be what I could get away with

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How about which phone will work with the ascent models? I looked on a compatible phone site and my Samsung note 5 was not compatible...my hubby Samsung s5 will work. Does this mean I have to go out and upgrade my phone to work now? Thats another payment per month for two years!!
I will test my ancient Note Edge (Note 4 with edge screen) tomorrow.

I could afford a dozen cables, but not a gazillion phones, lol!

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Works exceedingly well. On the Android Auto home screen, along with weather, some other notifications, and some other potentially relevant driving locations will be:

Appointment: (appointment title) @13:45
123 Anyplace drive
Some city

There will be a navigate icon on the rectangular tile. Clicking on the tile starts navigation. It will look kinda like the top tile here. Sorry, I couldn't take a pic since mine was plugged into the car on a short cable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has anyone had any luck connecting a Samsung Galaxy S8 as a USB device? I can't seem to get it to work that way despite using several cables. Works fine with Android Auto.

·
Super Moderator
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Has anyone had any luck connecting a Samsung Galaxy S8 as a USB device? I can't seem to get it to work that way despite using several cables. Works fine with Android Auto.
I have gotten the Note 8 to do that once. I didn't do anything special except not let it connect via Android Auto or Bluetooth.

I preferred Bluetooth and AA over USB.

The only thing left for me to find (or beg for) is an Android Auto compatible music player for local music.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have gotten the Note 8 to do that once. I didn't do anything special except not let it connect via Android Auto or Bluetooth.

I preferred Bluetooth and AA over USB.

The only thing left for me to find (or beg for) is an Android Auto compatible music player for local music.
@Robert.Mauro thanks for the reply. I uninstalled Android Auto to test. No go. I, too, would like for Google Play Music to access the music on my device through AA. I should have mentioned that mu tunes are on a MicroSD card on the phone, so maybe that has something to do with it.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts