Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change the position of the cross bars on the roof rack. They came installed when I bought the 2019 Turing model Ascent new.

It looked straight forward enough. I backed out the bolts, but the bars are tight in place.

There must be a trick to

Then once I get them where I want them there seems to be an indicator on the wrench as to how much to tighten them,,,,,,,,,,8mm tighter?

I am not sure about how that works that either.

I saw one video on line about this, but it was not very helpful.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
11,121 Posts
I did a video just a few days ago.

·
Administrator
11,121 Posts
Turn the bottom plate out of the way, and lift the cross bars off the rails.

·
Registered
262 Posts
In my case, the rubber "isolator" (for lack of a better term) that is part of the cross bars was stuck to the car and was peeling off of the cross bars. Just be careful the same doesn't happen to you.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring
3 Posts
I did a video just a few days ago.

Your video was really helpful but I have one further question. After I released the bottom plate, the bars still wouldn't budge. Not sure if I just need to use more force but don't want to damage or break anything. Any thoughts? And thanks for your consistently helpful advice. - Leo

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a related question. My rear passenger side roof rail (not the crossbar) is noticeably looser than the other 3 mount points on the roof. How does one adjust that? I’ve never used them but about to mount some Yakima Jaylow’s for my kayak and don’t want to have problems.

·
Administrator
11,121 Posts
I have a related question. My rear passenger side roof rail (not the crossbar) is noticeably looser than the other 3 mount points on the roof. How does one adjust that? I’ve never used them but about to mount some Yakima Jaylow’s for my kayak and don’t want to have problems.
I'd bring it to the dealership to have it checked out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, thanks for the reply. I called them and they said they can look at it, but it will take several hours as they have to remove the entire headliner to get at the location where its bolted down. Upon closer inspection, the driver side rail is tight, the passenger side moves a little in the front and more in the rear. I wonder if someone just didn't torque it right at the factory. Also wonder if that might be a concern for water leaks. I guess we will see once I have time to go to the dealer.

·
Administrator
11,121 Posts
Yes, those would sadly be my concerns as well, and that's sadly the work involved. It's because of the potential for water leaks that I suggest letting them deal with it... but, the Prinsu rack installation instructions for the Subaru Ascent will walk you through everything you need to know/do to get to the mounting bolts and tighten them, if you are so inclined.

·
Administrator
11,121 Posts
I'm still under 36k miles and have extended warranty. At least they are going to cover the costs :)
LOL! Exactly! As well as cover the cost of the headliner if they crease or break the backing board that holds it rigid - or when clips break from pulling the panels. ;)

I had to pull part of mine to mount my CB antenna's through-bulkhead connection. I was not fond of the work. 😕

Anyway, first I've heard of this. Please keep us posted about what they find and do to rectify it, if you wouldn't mind.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow, that was a good video. I spent a looong time trying to loosen them one hot day and gave up. Felt like maybe they were melted in place. glad to know what the hack is. Thanks

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am still not getting it. I have a 2021 Ascent Limited and the crossbars were installed by the dealer.
I can loosen the bolts and swing the bottom parts out of the way, but the crossbar still won't budge.
Was something changed for 2021?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts