Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Indeed, easy to remove the panel. However, for those preferring to have the receiver ready for use, the lack of trim (panel removed) surrounding the receiver looks quite unfinished when not towing. Does Subaru offer an optional trim panel to finish the opening while still exposing the receiver?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Indeed, easy to remove the panel. However, for those preferring to have the receiver ready for use, the lack of trim (panel removed) surrounding the receiver looks quite unfinished when not towing. Does Subaru offer an optional trim panel to finish the opening while still exposing the receiver?

I was wondering the same thing. With the plate off, it looks like your rear bumper has been in an accident. Very ugly.

Next time I'm at the dealer, I'll price a new panel and try cutting holes in it (if it isn't too expensive). My biggest concern is how to accomodate the trailer security chains.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to do a video on how to put the hitch cover back on without the clips falling out.
It's actually not me in that video, just one I found online.

If you really need me to, I can, but here is what I recommend:

- Hold the clips and make sure they are pushed all the way on
- While holding the clip with one hand, angle in the hitch cover with the other and start from the top and snap in the one side all the way towards the bottom. As you get the to the bottom continue holding the clip, while pulling the plug and pushing the cover.
- It should snap in and be aligned and then you can push and twist the pin so it locks.

I feel like as long as I hold the clip from behind, while pushing the cover on, it works pretty easily.

·
Administrator
10,457 Posts
You need to do a video on how to put the hitch cover back on without the clips falling out.
If it ever stops raining here, I may do that. I have a list of videos I want to do, and I finally dug out my lav ("shirt mic") to get good audio.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It's actually pretty easy to put cover back without knocking clips out. It's spring loaded pins that knock clips out when they slide back into place.

To the procedure is as as simple as retracting pins all way down and hold them down while sliding back in place. They just let go and insert into the clips.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Any else think about glueing the clips in place? I may try using gorilla glue... That way they can are permanent...
I used hot glue and it's holding up so far. I've maybe install the cover 5 times since i've done that. If this doesn't hold i'll try jb Plastic weld.
G-Flex also holds for me alot of the time on plastics

Reactions: kathytn

·
Registered
4 Posts
We don't have the trailer hitch installed yet, but will be getting it done.

I am hoping that someone will make an aftermarket part that will fit in that blank space and allow access to the hitch and plug.

·
Registered
217 Posts

I am hoping that someone will make an aftermarket part that will fit in that blank space and allow access to the hitch and plug.
Just leave it off. I have had mine off since about the 3rd day.

·
Registered
556 Posts

Buy an extra hitch cover - $22 with shipping if you search dealers on the internet. There are even lines inside exactly where you need to cut. I just did it yesterday with a box cutter! Have not put it on yet. Waiting to find a recommendation on a glue/caulking to hold the clips in before changing it out.

Take a look at this link for this site - it's exactly what mine looks like right now that I cut.

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/127-towing/2639-hitch-cover-hole.html

·
Super Moderator
2,290 Posts
I’m wondering if y’all who are having the clips fall out have the ones that go with the cover that doesn’t have a hitch underneath?
In the kit to install the receiver there was new clips that are spring loaded and twist in/out easily. The ones I removed were the simple plastic pop-up ones that fall out when released

·
Registered
217 Posts
I’m wondering if y’all who are having the clips fall out have the ones that go with the cover that doesn’t have a hitch underneath?
In the kit to install the receiver there was new clips that are spring loaded and twist in/out easily. The ones I removed were the simple plastic pop-up ones that fall out when released
The clips you are referring to are not the problem ones. The problem ones are clipped on the bumper and the spring loaded ones are attached through them to secure the cover. they are square and easily fall off the bumper when the cover is removed.

·
Registered
556 Posts

I'm waiting for someone else to figure it out since I haven't. I'm not going to try putting my new cover on until I know for sure I'll be able to get it back on :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts