Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering how much range the long range starter fob and short range(key fob) is working properly.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
IIRC, the 433mhz "long range" remote/receiver has a range capability of 300-400ft max, which is effectively about 200ft of range w/ obstructions.

Subaru don't use the shorter range, keyless entry and smartkey entry, for remote start. For the sake of an answer, the "short range" remote/receive has about 50ft range (effectively).

Side note: I think there's even a shorter range on the smartkey system, having a limited range of about 3-5ft. If you have a smartkey and standing next to driver side door, a robber would not be able to open the passenger door.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I heard that some smaller companies that can make you custom key fobs can help extend the range, so that might be a solution till Subaru does something official.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine goes through 100' of office building and then 50-75' through the parking lot
at that 175' or more sometimes I have to hold it above my head to work

The best part though is that it is 2-way, so you get a response to know it got the message, and then a response that it started, so if it doesn't work you can try again. with the short range fob you have to see or hear the car to know it worked

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Subaru don't use the shorter range, keyless entry and smartkey entry, for remote start. For the sake of an answer, the "short range" remote/receive has about 50ft range (effectively).
Yes, they do, as long as the remote start engine control module is installed. It's one of the things I teach during Owner Clinics. Since the new fob systems were introduced a couple of years ago, it's been possible. With the old system, it wasn't. The new system is hardwired via a secure data cable to the ECM/BCM and is more capable and more secure.

The short range fob has a 120' range. The long range fob has a 400' range. Those are both unobstructed line of sight ranges.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I couldn't tell you what the range was, but I know it's not far enough. one of the places that I work has a massive parking lot.... Like one of the biggest parking lots on the planet I think ?‍♂ and if I forget where I park, yeah good luck trying to find my car using the SOS button. It won't even reach to where it is even if I happen to be where I would see anyway

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.