Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The major change for the 2021 is the Adaptive Cruise Control which is definitely appealing.

I'm currently looking at 2020/2021 Ascents in Limited 8 passenger with the technology package. So MRSP is about $44,400 (2020) and $44,800 (2021).

I am able to get a 2020 for about $40,000 even before sales tax. Is it worth trying to get the 2020 to a better deal or pay a slightly higher price for a 2021?

Seems like it might be possible to get down to ~18% off of MSRP based on this post: Discount from MSRP

I don't have much experience with "end of year" deals so having a hard time knowing what i should be aiming for here.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
Given low supply conditions because of the factory being shut down for nearly two months...there's not going to be a huge inventory of MY20 vehicles, so your bargaining on MY20 vs MY21 may not be "amazing". There's so little change, too...lane centering wouldn't sway me either way, although it's certainly a nice feature.

Reactions: packout

·
Super Moderator
4,578 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,377 Posts
Just to clarify, all model years of the Ascent come standard with EyeSight and Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist. The 2021 models add enhanced Lane Keep Assist with Lane Centering.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
The major change for the 2021 is the Adaptive Cruise Control which is definitely appealing.

I'm currently looking at 2020/2021 Ascents in Limited 8 passenger with the technology package. So MRSP is about $44,400 (2020) and $44,800 (2021).

I am able to get a 2020 for about $40,000 even before sales tax. Is it worth trying to get the 2020 to a better deal or pay a slightly higher price for a 2021?

Seems like it might be possible to get down to ~18% off of MSRP based on this post: Discount from MSRP

I don't have much experience with "end of year" deals so having a hard time knowing what i should be aiming for here.
part of the decision involves the manufacturing date of the specific vehicle you are considering and how long you plan on holding on to the vehicle. You might be buying a 2020 near the end of 2020 and plan on selling it in the near future. Your mileage would be lower than many other models of that year (presumably purchased earlier in the year) and therefore valued at at higher price point. It may still be under warranty while others in that same model year may not be. If you hold onto your vehicles for longer the mileage advantage remains (all other issues being equal). You will pay slightly higher government fees for the 2021. The few spec changes may be not only a benefit for you but a differentiating increased value to prospective buyers down the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was able to get them down to 15% off, I was also talking to 10 different dealerships. Two of the dealerships declined to go lower than 40k. I got the 8 seat with tech package. If you're trying to get a good deal on a car you can't be picky with color is the first thing. Some colors don't sell well so they are more willing to let those go for less. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I was able to get them down to 15% off, I was also talking to 10 different dealerships. Two of the dealerships declined to go lower than 40k. I got the 8 seat with tech package. If you're trying to get a good deal on a car you can't be picky with color is the first thing. Some colors don't sell well so they are more willing to let those go for less. Good luck!
Just curious. Which colors are the slow sellers for the Ascent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well 3 of the dealership I was talking to were trying to push the brown one on me for a few hundred less than the other colors, but that also depends on the market in your area. Two of them had red ones but they were also the 7 seats that there were trying to convince me was the better deal...the 7 or 8 seat should be priced the same. i ended up with the dark gray one, i wanted the black leather interior, that was my only request for color.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you go to truecar.com and enter in your zip code and car preferences you can get the $ range of what others have paid for the car. Of course I was aiming to get the car for less than the average since I know it is year end and the factory is pushing dealerships to get rid of their current inventory to make room for the new models. Hope this helps. It took me about a week of talking to several dealerships to get 3 of them to come down to my range. Then from there I had to eliminate which color I preferred (one had a white one, the other had a blue one and the one I picked was the dark gray one, i immediately said no to any brown ones for personal preference)

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,276 Posts
Just curious. Which colors are the slow sellers for the Ascent.
When I was shopping 3 dealers in April 20 they were unanimous about not buying the Tungsten even though that was my preference. Since the color was dropped for 21, if you find a Tungsten and like it, make a low offer.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
When I was shopping 3 dealers in April 20 they were unanimous about not buying the Tungsten even though that was my preference. Since the color was dropped for 21, if you find a Tungsten and like it, make a low offer.
I used an auto broker for my 2019 limited and paid a lower price by thousands than any other dealer or broker would offer. I ordered mine new so nothing off a lot. I'm in CO. I had my own great financing but when the vehicle arrived SOA had a finance incentive , I used that financing.

I agree with your color strategy for a lot purchase.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up going with a 2021 Limited, should be here in a few weeks. The dealer was offering the 2020 for $1000 under invoice, and the 2021 for about $500 over invoice. Small enough difference that we decided to just go for the 2021

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I ended up going with a 2021 Limited, should be here in a few weeks. The dealer was offering the 2020 for $1000 under invoice, and the 2021 for about $500 over invoice. Small enough difference that we decided to just go for the 2021
never heard of anyone paying over invoice on an Ascent. Given the finance incentives from SOA it is very curious. Even the 2020 price sounds high.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
never heard of anyone paying over invoice on an Ascent. Given the finance incentives from SOA it is very curious. Even the 2020 price sounds high.
Based on what I saw on the other thread (Discount from MSRP), it seemed like fair pricing. Maybe you can tell me what I should be paying? Or were you thinking I meant MSRP instead of invoice? I have not taken possession of the 2021 yet but these are the details:

2020 Ascent Limited
8 Passenger + Technology Package
Accessories: Ext Auto Dim Mirror, Cargo Tray, splash cargs, LED Upgrade (Map and Dome), etc.

MSRP: $44,260
Invoice: $40,820
Negotiated price: $39,820

2021 Ascent Limited

Accessories: Ext Auto Dim Mirror, Cargo Tray, splash cargs, LED Upgrade (Map and Dome), etc.

MSRP: $44,820
Invoice: $41,266
Negotiated price: $41,600

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Based on what I saw on the other thread (Discount from MSRP), it seemed like fair pricing. Maybe you can tell me what I should be paying? Or were you thinking I meant MSRP instead of invoice? I have not taken possession of the 2021 yet but these are the details:

2020 Ascent Limited

MSRP: $44,260
Invoice: $40,820
Negotiated price: $39,820

2021 Ascent Limited

MSRP: $44,820
Invoice: $41,266
Negotiated price: $41,600
I experienced a discount off of invoice *granted that was for a 2019 Limited special ordered) and I thought that is what I read for subsequent years and that was prior to the downturn and the zero interest finance incentives or cash incentives.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring Brilliant Bronze
104 Posts

My first post!

I believe the 2021 also have SRH (Steering Responsive Headlights) that prior years did not have. I love that feature on my '18 Outback.

·
Super Moderator
4,578 Posts
I believe the 2021 also have SRH (Steering Responsive Headlights) that prior years did not have. I love that feature on my '18 Outback.
It's been added to the lower trims, but was already available in Touring, etc., previously. My MY18 Touring has the feature. Subaru is moving features like this down trim because of the increase in safety they bring to the lineup.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts