Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please comment about two questions I have about warranty work.

My questions today is "What amount of disassembly of your new Ascent would you allow to make a repair of a defective system?"
and
"If the CEL comes on and the eye sight system shuts down would this be classified as a system that could cause injury?" Reason being is that in Oregon the Lemon law allows 3 chances to repair your car or only 1 chance if the system could cause "injury or death".

Our Ascent at 400 miles threw a CEL code and systems shut down. No resolution at that time. At 1,000 miles it did it again. After a week in the shop they decided that they need to replace the wire system that connects the computer, antilock brakes, everything under the hood and under the dash and under the front end. They plan to remove the front bumper cover, and an unknown amount of the dash, and the intercooler. I have not received and adequate amount of information about what happens inside the car yet. I plan to see the wire harness and get more information before allowing the repair. If you look under your hood it is the huge wire system that goes around both sides of the engine and then through the firewall.

At this point I am considering not having the repair done until at minimum the shop has performed this repair several times without issues or damage to the cosmetics. They have already damaged some fins on the intercooler.

I do not want to have my $46,000 be the learning car for the shop.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When we got our 2017 Outback there was a loose ground screw somewhere on the A Pillar which was causing the telematics system to shut down. I had to take it to the dealer 3 times before the found the issue and once I got there to pick it up after work expecting it to be waiting for me and they had the dash totally taken apart. The stereo was out, the cameras were down off the windshield and there were wires out. They eventually found the issue and we haven't had any problems with the car since.

I'll answer the second question first, if the EyeSight system shuts down, I don't think it would count as a system could cause injury. It shuts down for a reason so that it doesn't accidentally engage and cause an accident. It won't stop you in an emergency, but at that point it would be no different than driving a car without EyeSight.

I would be a little nervous about them replacing the entire wiring harness on a brand new car, but only because it was a brand new car. I've had it done before on an older car and the car was good as new once it was done. I'm sure the dealership has replaced wiring harnesses before so it would probably be fine.

Is this the dealer service department where you bought the car? If they've done damage to the intercooler, I would bring it up with the service manager and potentially the general manager of the dealership.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Intercooler fins get bent, it's just a fact of life. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to make sure nothing happens to them and you'll drive yourself even more crazy trying to prove it was the service department that did it. I wouldn't be concerned about it as you'll inevitable suck up a large bug, rock, twig, whatever, that will do the same thing.

The eyesight system disabling itself won't be something that could cause accident/injury either. It disables itself so it doesn't malfunction and cause an unsafe situation. I'd let them try to fix it and if they can't, you'll get a new car out of it more than likely.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Intercooler fins get bent, it's just a fact of life. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to make sure nothing happens to them and you'll drive yourself even more crazy trying to prove it was the service department that did it. I wouldn't be concerned about it as you'll inevitable suck up a large bug, rock, twig, whatever, that will do the same thing.

The eyesight system disabling itself won't be something that could cause accident/injury either. It disables itself so it doesn't malfunction and cause an unsafe situation. I'd let them try to fix it and if they can't, you'll get a new car out of it more than likely.
Regarding intercooler fins ... ever look at your radiator fins? Same thing happens to them. At least with the way the hood is designed, you shouldn't end up with the dreaded bird in the hood scoop that our WRX / STI 's get.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Please comment about two questions I have about warranty work.

My questions today is "What amount of disassembly of your new Ascent would you allow to make a repair of a defective system?"
and
"If the CEL comes on and the eye sight system shuts down would this be classified as a system that could cause injury?" Reason being is that in Oregon the Lemon law allows 3 chances to repair your car or only 1 chance if the system could cause "injury or death".

Our Ascent at 400 miles threw a CEL code and systems shut down. No resolution at that time. At 1,000 miles it did it again. After a week in the shop they decided that they need to replace the wire system that connects the computer, antilock brakes, everything under the hood and under the dash and under the front end. They plan to remove the front bumper cover, and an unknown amount of the dash, and the intercooler. I have not received and adequate amount of information about what happens inside the car yet. I plan to see the wire harness and get more information before allowing the repair. If you look under your hood it is the huge wire system that goes around both sides of the engine and then through the firewall.

At this point I am considering not having the repair done until at minimum the shop has performed this repair several times without issues or damage to the cosmetics. They have already damaged some fins on the intercooler.

I do not want to have my $46,000 be the learning car for the shop.

I would obviously let them rip up as much as they need to in order to fix your problem.

You are going to be waiting a very long time for them to perform the "same" fix on a few other Ascents. The wiring in Ascent is very similar to wiring in the Outback and pretty much every other Subaru. Chances are they have dug in there more than a few times. The dealer trained people are good at what they do. They have the correct manuals and directions. If they break anything (clips, hooks, etc) they replace them.

Don't over think it. Just let them fix it. If it goes bad Subaru will take care of you and help you into another one.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Regarding intercooler fins ... ever look at your radiator fins? Same thing happens to them. At least with the way the hood is designed, you shouldn't end up with the dreaded bird in the hood scoop that our WRX / STI 's get.

birds, garbage, and small children had been found on mine.

I believe the newer design is a bit more resistant to being a fishing (birding?) net than the GD chassis cars though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts