Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all.

I haven't had my tires measured since my 18k mile service, but I'd guess I'm at around 5/32" at 23k miles. The wear seems a bit accelerated, so I'm wondering at what mileage others had to replace their tires.

I'm not really interested in people who replaced them for reasons other than treadwear. I understand that some folks don't like the Falkens... require snow tires... etc etc. Doesn't really serve my purpose here. Just trying to find out how many miles the average driver got out of their OEMs.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
My "chief mileage competitor" in the Facebook Ascent group is finally changing hers, at 60 miles shy of 44,000 miles. She regularly rotates, and has them properly inflated. So, by the time she gets in to change them, she'll have broken 44,000 miles, and closed the mileage gap to under 1,300 miles from me.

Wait, what am I doing online?!?? I've got to get out and rack up some miles!!!! ?

Three key things that have earned me more than rated treadwear for my last three sets of tires:
  1. Proper alignment
  2. Proper inflation (or no more than plus 1 or 2)
  3. Regular tire rotation
Many people neglect rotation, and some think it does not matter for the Ascent (they are incorrect).

The Ascent has a different front and rear toe-in, and the rear has a slight camber that becomes more pronounced when the rear is heavily loaded. I've got the specs someplace (helped an aftermarket performance shop with their first alignment, before the specs were easily available), and the rotation schedule makes sense.

So, following the 6,000 mile rotation schedule ensures even wear on all four tires.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I’m hoping to getting the same mileage out of these tires as Robert.mauro. I have rethought running a little higher pressures on both Subarus months ago and now run them as recommended. Checking them cold weekly. Every time either car is in at our dealer the alignment is always checked even if it was in the week before. Time will only tell...

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Do you go by the TPMS or a separate gauge. I have a couple of trusted gauges and all four TPMS units read ~3 psi low by comparison.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Do you go by the TPMS or a separate gauge. I have a couple of trusted gauges and all four TPMS units read ~3 psi low by comparison.
I use a very cheap Slime pencil gauge, or the built-in electronic gauge on my compressor. I'm lucky that my TPMS match.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Whoa, those tires with 44k on them are sitting on the wear bars! I hesitate to ever let tires ever get that worn. I just replaced mine at 18k and 5/23-6/32 of tread still left. I could have easily made it to 30k+, but I want good tread for going up to the mountains, which will be this Friday and we should encounter some snow. I took a conservative approach, plus I like new tires. Replacing them now puts me in a position to where I'll be in the middle of the third set when I'm likely to replace this vehicle. I've gotten rid of a car with very few miles on a new set of Michelins before, and it really felt like I threw money away.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Whoa, those tires with 44k on them are sitting on the wear bars! I hesitate to ever let tires ever get that worn. I just replaced mine at 18k and 5/23-6/32 of tread still left. I could have easily made it to 30k+, but I want good tread for going up to the mountains, which will be this Friday and we should encounter some snow. I took a conservative approach, plus I like new tires. Replacing them now puts me in a position to where I'll be in the middle of the third set when I'm likely to replace this vehicle. I've gotten rid of a car with very few miles on a new set of Michelins before, and it really felt like I threw money away.
Not yet hitting, but getting there.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just replaced mine at 18k and 5/23-6/32 of tread still left. I could have easily made it to 30k+, but I want good tread for going up to the mountains, which will be this Friday and we should encounter some snow. I took a conservative approach, plus I like new tires. Replacing them now puts me in a position to where I'll be in the middle of the third set when I'm likely to replace this vehicle. I've gotten rid of a car with very few miles on a new set of Michelins before, and it really felt like I threw money away.
Yeah, thats the boat I'm in now. I feel like I can PROBABLY get thru the winter on these... and then ride them thru the summer with no problem... but I'm not sure its a risk I'm willing to take.

I'm in Western NY. Sure, we're known for our snow. We're probably looking at 100-110 inches this winter. That being said... we also know how to clear it, and winter rides generally aren't too bad. But I DO have a couple of scheduled trips to Detroit and Ottawa... and all it would take is one poorly-timed storm, and I might not be so comfortable driving on them.

I guess I'm convincing myself that they need to be replaced sooner rather than later. It just seems like I should've gotten better life out of them.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
I won't run that little tread either, but then again, I look for things to do that require a lot of tread. ?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ascent's got ~350mi on it.
BUT! My 2015 X-Terra P4X just turned 28K miles yesterday, so I bought him some brand new shoes via a nice BF sale..
You make me miss my 06 Xterra. I replaced it for my Crosstrek. I don’t miss the gas mileage but I do miss the pure functionality of the vehicle.

·
Registered
731 Posts
^^^ I love the old school box-on-frame, purely mechanical, hydraulic steering, no doo-dad BS. :) Love the way it drives too.

The 2015s were as mature as the platform got and they did do a few nice things to them for the last year.

But it's pretty thirsty. Another reason I kept the stock 265/75R16 setup instead of the typical 285/75R16 upsize people do.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The title says it all.

I haven't had my tires measured since my 18k mile service, but I'd guess I'm at around 5/32" at 23k miles. The wear seems a bit accelerated, so I'm wondering at what mileage others had to replace their tires.

I'm not really interested in people who replaced them for reasons other than treadwear. I understand that some folks don't like the Falkens... require snow tires... etc etc. Doesn't really serve my purpose here. Just trying to find out how many miles the average driver got out of their OEMs.

Thanks.
I had mine replaced at 29k for treadwear. I replace when there is 4/32” left.

·
Registered
357 Posts
We are at 32k and they are on the wear bars on the inside so time to replace them, just gotta figure out with what.....Ugh

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,827 Posts
I'm at 12K miles and mine are still at 8/32 after the "multipoint" inspection during my oil change and rotation a few days ago. I have zero complaints about that.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Has anybody who has replaced the stocker Falkens with a similar A/S noticed the new tires being quieter than the Falkens? I’m trying to see if the road noise I’m hearing is the tires...
Really want some new Michelin A/S but that wouldn’t be very economically frugal with brand new stockers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm replacing mine tomorrow at 25k miles. We had a pretty good squall here today and found myself sliding a bit... the timing couldn't be better for a new set.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts