Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how many they are pumping out per day from the plant in Indiana?

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
It truly varies, depending on what the line is actually making, line maintenance schedules, work stoppages, breaks, etc. But, it is supposed to end up being 60,000 a year. June and December will presumably have the least produced due to planned down time for line maintenance.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
About 100-150 cars per day. If I was Subaru, I wouldn't even build at their max capacity to monopolize the demand/price. The Ascent appears to be a very popular car, as I have heard from 3 dealers in my area and on here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
About 100-150 cars per day. If I was Subaru, I wouldn't even build at their max capacity to monopolize the demand/price. The Ascent appears to be a very popular car, as I have heard from 3 dealers in my area and on here.
Unfortunately, it doesn't really work out that well for Subaru, lots of people will just get a Highlander at .9% finance w/ 20% off sticker, for example. Its popular only because the pipeline isn't fully primed -

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think they will lose if they tried that, Subaru is going after a new market with this car and I think the new market will find something comparable if they have to wait forever just to see one or get one.

Look at all the people now that canceled orders because of the wait.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Do you do that? Come in to work and say, I am going to only put in 3/4 of a day to increase my demand/price. For people that are your fans, it could work. But for the vast majority of people, they want to walk onto the lot, find a good sale, and buy the car the same day. Only 15% of customers will order a car from the factory (it is actually way lower, more like 5%). Maybe 5% of them want a car from the factory. If it is not on the car lot, it will not sell.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160606/RETAIL/306069951/why-americans-reject-build-to-order-cars

Quick article why you need to produce cars on lots to sell in this country.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Trim & Final will be capable of producing approximately 250 new Ascents per day, with both shifts running. They already produce about 750 Outback, 250 Legacy, and 300 Impreza per day from the same plant.

Note that production only runs two shifts per day, with the ability to have two hours of overtime per shift. They will NOT add a third production shift, ever.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Trim & Final will be capable of producing approximately 250 new Ascents per day, with both shifts running. They already produce about 750 Outback, 250 Legacy, and 300 Impreza per day from the same plant.

Note that production only runs two shifts per day, with the ability to have two hours of overtime per shift. They will NOT add a third production shift, ever.

I've actually wondered why they don't add a 3rd shift. 3 eight hour shifts keeps the plant running 24 hours per day. They could still shut down the 3rd shift on the weekends or something like that for checks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've actually wondered why they don't add a 3rd shift. 3 eight hour shifts keeps the plant running 24 hours per day. They could still shut down the 3rd shift on the weekends or something like that for checks.
I'd like to think it's because they pride themselves on not being slave drivers. I worked 3rd shift for Kia, and for a short time in the railyard. Mandatory 70hr weeks in the railyard. 55+ hr weeks elsewhere.. Money was great, but the only thing that would have made sense to buy with it would have been a new bed. It probably has something more to do with quality/safety though, if I had to guess.

·
Registered
965 Posts
No, they're in it for the long haul. Machinery breaks if not maintained - so that gives them at least 4 hours every day for maintenance. The factory was finished in 1989, and they plan on having it operating for at least 100 years. That's the other reason for the summer and winter shutdowns - that's when they pull the miles of overhead conveyor chain down and do other major repair things.

It wasn't a whole lot of fun working in the warehouse when they decided they needed to expand the warehouse, and knocked out the north wall. They can still run production during major building additions, it just gets ... challenging.

The limiting factor anyway is the EPA certificate. That limits how much the paint shop can dump into the atmosphere ... even though the paint shop puts out cleaner air than it takes in. (Back years ago, there was a complaint about how polluted the air was downwind of the plant. They did air samples and said, wow, this air is really dirty. SIA said, nope, not us - and had them take air samples from UPWIND of the plant. Turns out the air upwind was even dirtier.) Anyway, the EPA certificate used to be for 200,000 vehicles per year back when I was there, and the current one is 400,000 vehicles per year. There's no need to run 3 shifts when it's more efficient to run 2 shifts with a little overtime as needed.

·
Registered
764 Posts
No, they're in it for the long haul. Machinery breaks if not maintained - so that gives them at least 4 hours every day for maintenance. The factory was finished in 1989, and they plan on having it operating for at least 100 years. That's the other reason for the summer and winter shutdowns - that's when they pull the miles of overhead conveyor chain down and do other major repair things.

It wasn't a whole lot of fun working in the warehouse when they decided they needed to expand the warehouse, and knocked out the north wall. They can still run production during major building additions, it just gets ... challenging.

The limiting factor anyway is the EPA certificate. That limits how much the paint shop can dump into the atmosphere ... even though the paint shop puts out cleaner air than it takes in. (Back years ago, there was a complaint about how polluted the air was downwind of the plant. They did air samples and said, wow, this air is really dirty. SIA said, nope, not us - and had them take air samples from UPWIND of the plant. Turns out the air upwind was even dirtier.) Anyway, the EPA certificate used to be for 200,000 vehicles per year back when I was there, and the current one is 400,000 vehicles per year. There's no need to run 3 shifts when it's more efficient to run 2 shifts with a little overtime as needed.

makes sense :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think the most obvious limiting factor would be the engines.

I remembered reading this story from a year ago. The article states Subaru's Gunma Manufacturing Oizumi Plant started production of the FA24 in March 2018 and Subaru estimated they will make 70k FA24's for the first year. So March - December (10 months) so that means about 7000 engines a month. So in a full production year, that is 84k engines.

Also Subaru Corporate projected selling 5k Ascents a month. I think they are on course for that. If I am not mistaken, the July sales were almost 5k.

Here is the link if you like to read it. Note you will need Google Translate to read it since it is in Japanese.

https://newswitch.jp/p/10003

1 - 13 of 13 Posts