Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is heading out of town and taking my work-horse minivan (oh lawdy that poor van has seen some work as a heavy-hauler). I will have my shiny new Ascent.

I need to get 24 eighty-pound bags of concrete. That would be about 2000 pounds. How many trips should I break this into? It'll just be me and my oldest son, so we'll lay the middle-row flat and cover everything (and everything has all weather mats, seat-back protectors, cargo protectors, etc., as well). I'm just worried about overloading the vehicle.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'd be worried about bending the cargo cover...maybe a piece of plywood would help. I found it to be very weak when hauling mulch stacked to the roof.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
978 Posts
My wife is heading out of town and taking my work-horse minivan (oh lawdy that poor van has seen some work as a heavy-hauler). I will have my shiny new Ascent.

I need to get 24 eighty-pound bags of concrete. That would be about 2000 pounds. How many trips should I break this into? It'll just be me and my oldest son, so we'll lay the middle-row flat and cover everything (and everything has all weather mats, seat-back protectors, cargo protectors, etc., as well). I'm just worried about overloading the vehicle.
Evenly destributed 1000lbs of cargo ie anything in the car. I wouldn’t do more than 600 lbs a trip. Or your suspension will never be the same again

·
Registered
926 Posts
Depends on how far away and the speeds.

Heck I used to haul 10- 80lb bags in my Hyundai Tiburon, but it was a 3 mile trip at 45mph.

Unless you're hauling a long way at high speeds, I'd do it in 2 trips.

4,500lbs with a GVWR of 6,000 and it really isn't a problem.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I would definitely throw a piece of plywood back there to more evenly distribute the weight. The rear cover is just some kind of plastic. And the tool tray under that is a foam like material.

If you spread the 1000 lbs around you should be ok. Just don’t stack all the bags in one place!

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Two trips... MAYBE three.

About two trips. Maybe three. Minimum inside cargo weight, including passenger, is for the Touring and Limited, at 1,152 pounds. In the Base and Premium, it's a couple hundred pounds more.

You will find your particular model's cargo weight on the sticker on the bottom of the b-pillar.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. I may see about the rental truck (it's Lowe's, rather than HD). My Ascent is a touring, and I would like to keep it nice as long as possible. My van is usually my go-to for messes, plus it has way more room. It's a 5 mile trip where the max speed limit is 45 on a stretch, 35 otherwise, but the dust and dirt issue is a big one. Especially with that black interior.

Years ago I was the guy with the truck, but not any more. Then I had the one friend with the truck, and he moved. I can borrow a small utility trailer from a friend in a pinch, but I don't think that could handle 2000 pounds either. I need to make more friends I guess.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I use large garbage bags to control the dust. Can put 3 or 4 in a bag and fold over.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Cement dust gets everywhere, including your lungs. I worked at a cement factory for a couple of years, just parking the car in the parking lot near the factory got it full of cement dust, which attacks chemically the paint by the way. It's also abrasive and when it gets to your lungs a sure way to get asthma or worse, cancer.

Consider also using the hitch with a Uhaul trailer, might be cheaper than Lowes because they don't bill by the hour. Definitely do NOT put cement bags inside an Ascent.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I'd say zero trips. Those bags poof a lot of concrete dust every time you look at them. You'll have concrete dust in there for years to come. Spend the extra for the home depot truck rental and do it in one trip.

small holes are frequently found in these bags, so I would not haul this type of material, regardless of your interior protection. Also consider the difficult access to the bags to load and unload. Your back ache is not worth it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Uber? Lyft? I kid but there are always "cash Uber" offers in our local Facebook ads including people looking to haul stuff for a small fee. I definitely would not want to put cement in an Ascent, not even in our current family hauler (Odyssey).

·
Registered
424 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.