Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Does two side curtain protect 2nd row and 3rd row ?
yes.

I would almost say for certain that the ASCENT will be a IIHS top safety pick from what I was told by someone at SOA that is the bar or minimum for all their cars.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Our salesperson showed as a pic on his iPhone of a customer whose Outback had been in a horrendous wreck with a truck. He said the truck had crossed the line and plowed into the Outback in an almost head-on collision.

Hard to imagine anybody came out of it alive from the picture, and the cops were stunned that the teenaged girl driver was standing there virtually uninjured waiting for them.

He rattled off all the sidebags in the Outbag that had basically "turned her into the Michelin man" in time to protect her.

My question about that--is Subaru's airbag system superior to/different from others or is that kind of cushioning pretty much the norm these days?

Is the Ascent like the Outback, improved, or...?

Thanks in advance for answers!

·
Registered
791 Posts
My last car had second row side airbags in addition to the the curtain airbags. I really wish Subaru would implement this given the company's very vocal position on safety. That being said, hopefully none of us will ever experience a deployment.

I certainly don't doubt that the structure of the Ascent is certainly stronger than say, a Dodge Journey, and the programming of the airbags is probably more advanced as well.

Without knowing the exact details of any accident, it would be difficult to tell exactly how an impact occurred, or how the car reacted. If forces were translated into a rolling ( a barrel roll type of) motion, that would distribute the energy differently than if it were an action that caused immediate deceleration, or motion at some angle away from the impact afterward.

But we should be happy that safety technology has advanced so much in the past 25 years or so. Now, if we could just get people to stop staring at their phones while they're driving, the roads would even safer for all of us.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Buick Enclave has an air between the 2 front seats. I guess to prevent people from knocking skulls from a severe side impact and not sure of any other car that has this. Thought that was pretty neat.

·
Super Moderator
2,588 Posts
Now, if we could just get people to stop staring at their phones while they're driving, the roads would even safer for all of us.
So far I’m at 3. I’ve managed to make 3 people drop their phones while driving next to me. I pull up next to them and honk my air horn when I see someone staring at their phone. I either get a nasty look or the occasional startle enough to drop the phone. It’s entertaining either way. You’re welcome.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That's pretty interesting to read. I've actually been wondering over the past day or so if the GV80 Tiger Woods was driving actually made his injuries worse since that vehicle was equipped with knee air bags - sounds like it could have contributed to the severity of his right leg injuries... Sorry to veer off-topic, but thanks for posting that.

On another note, I'm surprised to learn that the Ascent has less than half the amount of airbags as it does cup holders! ;)

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
That's pretty interesting to read. I've actually been wondering over the past day or so if the GV80 Tiger Woods was driving actually made his injuries worse since that vehicle was equipped with knee air bags - sounds like it could have contributed to the severity of his right leg injuries... Sorry to veer off-topic, but thanks for posting that.

On another note, I'm surprised to learn that the Ascent has less than half the amount of airbags as it does cup holders! ;)
Tiger accident prompted my research.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts

maybe with this additional data, Subaru and other manufacturers will revisit the leg airbag and wither redesign them or focus elsewhere to achieve the protection in that locale. I will be interested to read more on this topic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts