Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just filled the tank and see the range as 310. This doesn’t seem to add up. I’ve seen different range numbers right after a fill up. It alsways seems to be under reporting range. According to the manual, the tank is 19.3. So it can’t be using the avg mpg. Any ideas on what is being displayed?

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
I think it's calculated based on what you averaged on your last tank - that is, until you get a few new miles out of this tank of gas.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Just filled the tank and see the range as 310. This doesn’t seem to add up. I’ve seen different range numbers right after a fill up. It alsways seems to be under reporting range. According to the manual, the tank is 19.3. So it can’t be using the avg mpg. Any ideas on what is being displayed?
Not sure about Ascent , but other cars I have biggest part of the calculation is based on last 20mi of your drive ..

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Based on my last Subaru after 92k miles, the range expressed by the computer translated to there being about 70 miles left of range after the low fuel warning came on. That car averaged 24.8 MPG over 6 years.

Based on your image (20.1 MPG, 310 mile range), you will have used 15.4 gallons after 310 miles. That leaves about 3.9 gallons left in the tank. At 20.1 MPG, it looks like you can still drive 78 miles before really getting to empty.

Based on those two sets of data, it looks like Subaru's philosophy on range actually gives you about 70-80 miles of reserve capacity based on your average usage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the insight. Their philosophy on range may be the item I’m overlooking. I seems to recall filling up the tank with about 16 gallons when I got the low fuel warning last time. I will look to see the exact amount of fuel next time I fill up when prompted by the warning.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
...Based on your image (20.1 MPG, 310 mile range), you will have used 15.4 gallons after 310 miles. That leaves about 3.9 gallons left in the tank. At 20.1 MPG, it looks like you can still drive 78 miles before really getting to empty.

Based on those two sets of data, it looks like Subaru's philosophy on range actually gives you about 70-80 miles of reserve capacity based on your average usage.
Thanks for the insight. Their philosophy on range may be the item I’m overlooking. I seems to recall filling up the tank with about 16 gallons when I got the low fuel warning last time. I will look to see the exact amount of fuel next time I fill up when prompted by the warning.
So far, that's been my experience as well. 15-16 gallons used when the light comes on.

·
Registered
253 Posts
So far, that's been my experience as well. 15-16 gallons used when the light comes on.
What I seem to remember from my 2008 GMC Sierra when the low-fuel level message came on, it would do so with about 50-60 miles of range left. This was based upon amount of gas it took to fill up after the light came on and the advertised fuel tank capacity.

The Ascent is supposed to have a 19.3 gallon tank. Assuming that's true, then the light coming on at 16 gallons used is reasonable: 3.3 gallons at, say, 20MPG is 66 miles, which isn't far off what my GMC reported. It may be more conservative because Subaru made that decision, which is probably correct considering it is intended to be a family hauler.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I had my Pathfinder, it could never give me the same number of miles after a fill-up, but I did notice the number could be higher if I fill-up the tank when the weather was colder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.