Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nearly everybody is driving less, now with work, school, and other things being home-based for most of us. One minor benefit is less wear and tear on our cars, and rebates from our auto insurance companies! Yes, I'm trying to make lemonade out of lemons.
And a big 'Thank You,' to our essential employees, some of whom might be driving more now than in the past.

How many miles did you drive your Ascent ( feel free to list your other cars also) last month, versus a typical month? If you want to explain why that's fine.

For my Ascent- 13 mi vs 750 mi in a typical month

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I haven't gone anywhere for the last month. I'm working from home and have all food and supplies delivered. So for me, 0 miles. That's a personal record.

I haven't heard about any auto insurance rebates though.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Nearly everybody is driving less, now with work, school, and other things being home-based for most of us. One minor benefit is less wear and tear on our cars, and rebates from our auto insurance companies! Yes, I'm trying to make lemonade out of lemons.
And a big 'Thank You,' to our essential employees, some of whom might be driving more now than in the past.

How many miles did you drive your Ascent ( feel free to list your other cars also) last month, versus a typical month? If you want to explain why that's fine.

For my Ascent- 13 mi vs 750 mi in a typical month
I have not changed my driving at all. I am still working every day away from home (essential industry). I never did venture out for entertaining that much to make a difference in the last two months so that part is mute. I guess a few less upscale sit down restaurant visits. My shopping is the same. I had not planned vacation during this time period so that has not changed (it may in the future if a lockdown in the national wilderness areas remain).

My wife is able to work from home so no commuting but she is shopping more for our garden.

My teenager son is distance learning so he is not driving to school for the rest of the school year but he is working more each day so he commutes as well as goes on long drives into the mountains by himself.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
We have been averaging about 3 miles every 7 to 10 days for the past month. That's the round trip distance to Kroger for a food order pick up. We had a vet emergency run last Friday that added about 20 miles. We also did a 200 mile trip a week ago to a farm in the boondocks of Western Michigan to pick up meat and eggs.

Before that we were driving the Accent about 700 miles a month as our only vehicle after downsizing from 2 cars in January.

We have both been retired for 15+ years and recently sold our summer property in Traverse City and the farm out in the country, so we don't drive very much any more.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,844 Posts
For over a week while I was very sick I didn't drive at all. Since then it's been minimal...food shopping; pharmacy, taking my older daughter to/from work (food market) now that she was allowed to return after my illness and a couple of trips to the hardware store. My insurance carrier (CSAA) is providing a discount for lowered usage. My spouse and daughter are equally driving less...Professor Dr. SWMBO is teaching from home and our younger daughter's Penn State classes are all remote, too. She only drives three days to work plus to her boyfriend's house for long weekends..."nothing" compared to the miles she normally piles up!

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,162 Posts
Our driving habits haven't changed significantly. My wife and I already worked at home prior to this, so our commutes went from zero miles to...zero miles. :) We don't have school sports practice pickups anymore, but both schools are within a mile from home, so that driving was not significant. Our biggest change is not driving to church. That's a 25 mile round trip at least twice a week. And, of course, we don't do as many incidental trips anymore, but we definitely still do get out. We have a wonderful 300-acre county park across the road from our neighborhood, so we bike and walk over there all the time, but we still drive to other parks or good hiking spots.

I have found a lot of back roads that I've never traveled lately, and I've really enjoyed driving the Ascent in manual mode across the countryside. The automatic mode is very nice for tooting around town, and anytime you want to be hands-free, but this boxer-4 is such a sweet engine, and it's pretty fun to keep it "on the cam" (and under boost!) when out on winding back roads. This is such an enjoyable car to drive.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i usually average 1600 miles per month and about $170 in gas (2020 Ascent Limited). in the past month I have spent $40 in gas and only about 400 miles. I'm loving it!

·
Registered
204 Posts
...I've really enjoyed driving the Ascent in manual mode across the countryside. The automatic mode is very nice for tooting around town, and anytime you want to be hands-free, but this boxer-4 is such a sweet engine, and it's pretty fun to keep it "on the cam" (and under boost!) when out on winding back roads. This is such an enjoyable car to drive.
Manual mode is very fun. Makes me wish they has made a six speed manual

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm currently getting about 3 weeks to the gallon......

OK, no, not really. :p:ROFLMAO:

My wife's driving habits on her WRX has been about the same, if not slightly more. She's pretty high up on the command structure at her work - she's actually the incident commander - so it's pretty much the usual for her, plus weekends. That said, our (we work at the same place) commute has always been short (just over 5 miles, one way), so it's really not that bad at all. A week's worth of 93-Octane "Ultra" here in CLE-metro? About 6 bucks' worth, and no, I'm not even bothering to hunt for the best price.

Although I'm also essential personnel, I only need to be physically present three days out of the week, so my mileage solely in terms of the work commute has decreased significantly. Combined with the fact that I'm less about 50 miles a week because my daughter's rowing gym has shut down for our Governor's "Stay-at-Home" order, I'm looking at significantly less mileage on my winter tires. :)

We're pretty much house-cats otherwise, but by this time of year, we'd likely have taken a small road-trip that would have put a few hundred miles or even a couple of thousand miles on the ODO. I would also have burned a few hundred miles traveling to and from my hobby events as well.

A week's worth of gas for me? Again also about 6 bucks' worth of 87-octane "Regular."

I'd like to think that I'm a reasonably well-prepared guy (my panic purchases? two boxes of Club Crackers, two boxes of Saltines, and a 64-oz. bottle of cranberry juice cocktail), so it's weird how my unease at the current turn of events is manifesting. :LOL: I've noticed that I'm driving faster and more aggressively than usual (and when I do, I tone it back down, but it usually takes a few minutes before it registers), and I've also been filling the cars up every week, even though they could both of course go for much longer than that.

Weird how anxiety can play out, right? Y'all should have seen when my daughter was gonna be born. I compulsively made ice. ? It worked out really well, too, as my wife had to have a C-section, so all that ice went for ice-packs after we came home.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll jump back in with how we use our three cars during the cv-19 era...

My wife uses the f-pace strictly to commute (essential business owner) to work, 150 miles vs 650 in a typical month. Right now she's the only one that goes in that car, and boy do I miss driving it!

MKZ- grocery store run once a week, + deliver supplies & food to people who cannot go to the store themselves, 95 mi vs 950 in a typical month. I am the only one that goes in that car.

Because we risk the slight possibility of carrying the virus on ourselves or our clothing into these cars, our kids don't go in the F Pace or MKZ any more.

Which brings us to the Ascent,- 13 mi vs 700 mi normally. This is our 'clean' car. Because one of our kids is super susceptible to getting sick, we wanted to have one car available all the time that we wouldn't have to worry about sanitizing if we had to rush either child to the doctor, or hospital ( it happens).

I know that's a little paranoid, but we just can't take any chances with his, or our daughter's health.

So, that's the oddball way we are using our cars right now as opposed to just getting in and taking whichever one we feel like during normal times.

Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe!

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,844 Posts
I haven't heard about any auto insurance rebates though.
It started with one carrier and has spread to a bunch of them. Mine...CSAA (via AAA)...just jumped in with a 20% discount for April and May but I suspect that will get extended. I pay quarterly so the discount will come off the next bill.

Reactions: pro10is

·
Super Moderator
2,426 Posts
This has a good summary of the bigger insurance companues:
I’m with Geico and my policy renewal just posted, formally renews in May. They didn’t give the 15% discount on it, which is supposed to happen automatically for policies renewing between apr-oct. I’m going to give it more time but I’m getting the feeling that I’ll have to contact them if I want it.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
I’m with Geico and my policy renewal just posted, formally renews in May. They didn’t give the 15% discount on it, which is supposed to happen automatically for policies renewing between apr-oct. I’m going to give it more time but I’m getting the feeling that I’ll have to contact them if I want it.
Each of ours gets credited 15 days after the close of each month (eg: I won't see my April savings until it's credited back in May on or about the 15th), so, maybe Geico is doing it similarly, and also charging you the normal rate, then crediting you back the discount? Progressive is waiting for a full month to complete before crediting back the premium. I think it's a "Premium Earned" vs "Unearned Premium" thing. Progressive hasn't "earned" the money until the period the money is for has completed.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm still on the same tank of gas from March.

The only time I drive it now is if the Tesla is already out on an errand (which is rare) or if we take the dog to the dog park.

Both of us are WFH and so we do drive the Tesla to get food, groceries, supplies etc as it's so cheap to run. Though with our gas at $2.15/gal now the gap has narrowed a bit, but given our Tesla charges from solar, it's basically FREE :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
My drive to work is 23 mi one way. Since March 1st we've combined 1st and 2nd shift because of less business and we have combined shifts, so I work one week, then one week off. So, I'm putting on half the miles for work and probably a tenth of the miles I would if we could travel freely. I drove the Ascent to work mainly just to get it broke in. But this week I've been driving the Forester to use up the gas it had in it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My driving went down to zero. Now working from home, groceries delivered, school moved online so there's nowhere to go. Too bad, now that gas is so cheap I can't go for a ride, tank is full and... it stays full. Subaru keeps harassing me to go do my maintenance of 18000 miles (due in April), but until the car starts moving again I don't see the need for it, I don't like the idea of a stranger potentially infected coughing inside my vehicle. I have less than 14000 miles, so basically I just did the 12k service, it's just that 6 months went by but that oil barely moved in there. I don't feel like taking the car in just for somebody to top off my windshield washer fluid.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts