Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far away from the receiver hitch can the ball be?
The 4" drop OEM ball hitch is not enough for my light duty covered trailer.
I'm figuring I need at least 6, if not 8" drop.
The way the standard ball hitched are made, they stick out quite a bit from the Ascent's reciever.
The one I have for my Jeep Liberty that I put in the Ascent's hitch sticks out 7.5" to the center of the ball.
I this too much?

·
Registered
920 Posts
As long as you aren't getting close to the tongue weight, a longer receiver won't be an issue. It does increase the lever effect of the tongue weight so if you were close, it might push you over.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,883 Posts
The OEM ball mount for the Ascent that was supplied with most MY19 vehicles is a 6" drop. The one in your photo looks like about a 2" drop. Ideally, you want the ball close to the bumper for best results. If stem can slide in far enough without being in contact with the tire shield, etc., you could conceivably drill additional holes farther forward for the hitch pin/lock or get someone to shorten the stem such that you can accomplish that. It really depends upon the specific ball mount. You might consider a high-quality, adjustable height ball mount, too.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim, I used the hitch in the photo to show how far it is going to stick out, no matter what the drop is. The position of the hole is the same in all the ones you can buy from auto parts stores, etc. I have thought about cutting one off and redrilling the hole.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I use a 2" drop ball hitch with an 8" shank. I needed a 2" drop because my trailer's ball height is around 25", unlike most/many trailers (campers) that have a ball hitch at around 18", which the stock 6" drop ball hitch is ideal for. The extended length shank on mine was needed to ensure there was sufficient clearance for opening the rear gate and have it clear the trailer's tongue jack handle. And no, the shank length is not standard. You can find some with varying lengths between 7" and 8", and for all I know there may be other shank lengths out there as well. I spent a significant amount of time visiting different suppliers and measuring.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Jim, I used the hitch in the photo to show how far it is going to stick out, no matter what the drop is. The position of the hole is the same in all the ones you can buy from auto parts stores, etc. I have thought about cutting one off and redrilling the hole.
Check the other thread for more recommendations. Some have holes in quite differing positions, and some (like the one I use) has two holes. The ones at the stores near me have holes at differing distances as well. They carry multiple brands, which could be why they have a bigger variety?

I owned three for the Ascent, which each had holes in different positions in relationship to the ball. In total, the three had holes in four different places (the one I currently use has two holes).

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't believe it matters how far it sticks out. In the sense that all manufacturers seem to fall within a 4" to 7" range This cannot be of any consequence because once a trailer is put on the ball the leverage on the vehicle remains pretty much the same. You obviously wouldn't use a Ball mount that sticks out 3 feet as this would be something that's custom made and not bought from some supplier. I think any ball mount will work provided it's rated as a class 3 or 4. Buy the one that fits you best. On class 3 and 4 hitches the shanks on the ball mounts are solid steel (not hollow square tube) The Hollow tube shanks are for Class 1 & 2 hitches which are rated for less than 5000 Lbs. Even if you only tow 2000 Lbs I would still suggest a ball mount that is the same rating as the receiver (the part of the hitch that's bolted onto the Ascent) BTW there are some aluminum ball mounts available that are rated for 20,000 Lbs and they only weigh 22 Lbs. Handy if the wife tows and sets it up.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hmm I don't think I've ever seen that before. Not sure I would trust that sort of load on a hollow tube. Perhaps it was mislabeled?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Nope, it's a standard ball hitch available in the US at a variety of retailers for different drop lengths) Camping World, Walmart, etc.). I trust it implicitly. And BTW, it's not the first hollow ball shank I've used that was rated in excess of 5,000 lbs.

·
Registered
266 Posts
How far away from the receiver hitch can the ball be?
The 4" drop OEM ball hitch is not enough for my light duty covered trailer.
I'm figuring I need at least 6, if not 8" drop.
The way the standard ball hitched are made, they stick out quite a bit from the Ascent's reciever.
The one I have for my Jeep Liberty that I put in the Ascent's hitch sticks out 7.5" to the center of the ball.
I this too much?
That's a very good question. I don't know if there's any limit but here's what I would do:
a) Measure the Subaru provided hitch distance (or ask a forum member to provide this distance), from center of the ball to the center of the rear axle of the car. Let's call that distance A.
b) Measure the distance o your hitch, center of ball to center of axle. Let's call this one B.
c) Calculate a reduced maximum tongue weight: Tw= 500 lbs * A/B

When using the longer hitch, as long as you don't exceed the reduced tongue weight Tw that we just calculated, you won't stress your vehicle beyond what's on the manua!, so you should be fine.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Just measured mine and it's 47" from center of the wheel to the ball.

So if you made your ball hitch 2" farther back, you'd have a Tw=500*47/49 = 480lbs.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,883 Posts
I don't believe it matters how far it sticks out.
It matters from the standpoint of the laws of physics....it's a lever. So ideally, it will be as short as it can be to do the job, provide adequate clearance for what's being towed/mounted, etc. It will not matter much practically for minor loads but if one is towing that limit-approaching deluxe travel trailer, a ball mount that puts the ball as close to the bumper as is usable is the preferred approach. The original OEM ball mount provided with many of the MY19 Ascents was designed with that in mind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts