Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey y’all,

This is a bit of a weird question. I’m hoping to get some sort of insight into this situation, not sure where to go. I have a ‘22 Limited with 1800 miles. The dealer recently replaced the gas pedal assembly due to a loose connection with the bracket. It’s removing only two bolts, but he works really close to the steering wheel/column. However, upon delivery of the car, the first thing I noticed was the steering wheel being off center from the instrument cluster. Not in the sense where the steering wheel is not straight from alignment, but the actual steering wheel/column not being dead center of the dash like it used to be.

The dealership measured to see if there was a difference and there was about 1/8” at least difference to the left than a model they had in stock, and said they did not notice anything wrong due to manufacturing variance. Being my own car and driving it daily for the past month, I can tell something is off (especially at night) and it is driving me nuts.

I tried manipulating the steering column and telescopic adjustments but they are pretty solid. Is there anyway possible their technician may have done something wrong or accidentally hit something to change the steering wheel alignment at all? Or am I seriously tripping hard?

Stinks bc one your notice the problem, it never goes away. I’m not sure if I should call Subaru or not. Any insight would help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
540 Posts
Hey y’all,

This is a bit of a weird question. I’m hoping to get some sort of insight into this situation, not sure where to go. I have a ‘22 Limited with 1800 miles. The dealer recently replaced the gas pedal assembly due to a loose connection with the bracket. It’s removing only two bolts, but he works really close to the steering wheel/column. However, upon delivery of the car, the first thing I noticed was the steering wheel being off center from the instrument cluster. Not in the sense where the steering wheel is not straight from alignment, but the actual steering wheel/column not being dead center of the dash like it used to be.

The dealership measured to see if there was a difference and there was about 1/8” at least difference to the left than a model they had in stock, and said they did not notice anything wrong due to manufacturing variance. Being my own car and driving it daily for the past month, I can tell something is off (especially at night) and it is driving me nuts.

I tried manipulating the steering column and telescopic adjustments but they are pretty solid. Is there anyway possible their technician may have done something wrong or accidentally hit something to change the steering wheel alignment at all? Or am I seriously tripping hard?

Stinks bc one your notice the problem, it never goes away. I’m not sure if I should call Subaru or not. Any insight would help.

Thanks!
A photo of the issue might be helpful, we could then compare it to our Ascents.

BTW, Welcome!

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

BTW, Welcome!
Thank you! I don’t have a picture at the moment, however when I am looking directly at the instrument cluster I notice the opening of the steering wheel to see it is not directly even.

BTW, Welcome!

here a

here are some pics. I’m sitting straight in the seat looking straight at gauges. The steering wheel is angled to the left if you can see. Can anyone confirm this is how it is in their Ascent? Did I just notice but this is how it’s been the whole time??? Hood Steering part Automotive lighting Steering wheel Motor vehicle
Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire Steering part

·
Super Moderator
3,465 Posts
It might be worth a trip back to the dealership to check out any new Ascents to compare with your own eyes....if they have any on the lot.
From the pics I see what you mean; it does appear to be angled slightly left. Unfortunately I don't have my car today so I can't sit in the drivers seat to compare.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Thank you! I don’t have a picture at the moment, however when I am looking directly at the instrument cluster I notice the opening of the steering wheel to see it is not directly even.

here a

here are some pics. I’m sitting straight in the seat looking straight at gauges. The steering wheel is angled to the left if you can see. Can anyone confirm this is how it is in their Ascent? Did I just notice but this is how it’s been the whole time??? View attachment 17697 View attachment 17698 View attachment 17699
In photo #2, the "arch" in the center of the cluster does no lineup with the arch of the steering wheel, and appears off-center. On my car the two line up. I'll try to get a photo later.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
In the 4 years I've had my Ascent, the steering wheel has always been offset slightly to the left. I mentioned it in other threads years ago but it never elicited any responses.I had a Nissan Xterra that was similar and I never thought of it as being fixable.

I'd be interested to know if this can be adjusted, but at this point I never notice it anymore.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the 4 years I've had my Ascent, the steering wheel has always been offset slightly to the left. I mentioned it in other threads years ago but it never elicited any responses.I had a Nissan Xterra that was similar and I never thought of it as being fixable.

I'd be interested to know if this can be adjusted, but at this point I never notice it anymore.
that’s good to know. Except mine is not slightly. We’ll id like to say it used to be, after taking it into the dealer seems a little worse. Weird thing is I can’t Move the column or telescopic wheel right or left at all. So wonder how it got so bad or maybe I legit never notice it until now. Curious to see if other cars are just as bad.

·
Super Moderator
3,465 Posts
Weird thing is I can’t Move the column or telescopic wheel right or left at all.
Just so everyone's on the same page the steering column is only supposed to be able to be adjusted in/out and up/down. No side-side adjustment is normal.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Premium 7 Passenger / Previous car: Outback 2013 2.5l Manual transmission 170K
119 Posts
What about the seat? Maybe it is not exactly in the same position than before and it change the perspective ? Sometime I feel like the seat might be slightly tilted toward the left.
I have to say that now that I think about it, sometime I am wondering if I am seating funny or if the seat, the steering wheel and the dashboard are not perfectly aligned together.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What about the seat? Maybe it is not exactly in the same position than before and it change the perspective ? Sometime I feel like the seat might be slightly tilted toward the left.
I have to say that now that I think about it, sometime I am wondering if I am seating funny or if the seat, the steering wheel and the dashboard are not perfectly aligned together.
hey that’s what I thought about too but I don’t think they touched the seat. They said they just crawled into the driver footwell area. The more and more research I do seems like Subaru has the steering wheel a bit to the left of the dash, might just be how they’re made.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seeming more and more in pics/videos of Ascents the steering wheel/column and dash aren’t made exactly perpendicular with each other, and the steering wheel is slightly angled left. The instrument gauges would then not be perfectly fit inside the opening of the steering wheel, but some maybe more than others. The pic below is from a fellow ascent owner I know, you can see the offset angle of the steering column from the dash.

Car Automotive tire Product Automotive design Steering part

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Seeming more and more in pics/videos of Ascents the steering wheel/column and dash aren’t made exactly perpendicular with each other, and the steering wheel is slightly angled left. The instrument gauges would then not be perfectly fit inside the opening of the steering wheel, but some maybe more than others. The pic below is from a fellow ascent owner I know, you can see the offset angle of the steering column from the dash.
I need to check mine to see if the wheel is angled like that first photo or if the entire column is shifted to the left, but still perpendicular to the left-right axis. The other photos seem to be taken from a slight right perspective, which kind of induces some degree of parallax. Regardless mine does look like that. When I'm confident that I'm looking dead on straght at my gauges, the top of the airbag appears to be about 1/2" off center.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sadly, the pictures are taken when I’m sitting dead center how I would drive. I know there’s some variance like seating position, driver height, etc. But this is a really annoying issue. I’m pretty sure the dealership probably didn’t do anything to it and I’m just noticing this now, but over the last month I always felt it was pretty dead on (I remember saying how cozy it was being in the driver seat). Oh well, if I could confirm from more cars of the same issue (or non issue since it’s the way they’re made), I’ll let it go and deal with the OCD. Lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see it now. You're looking dead center at your gauges, but the angle of the steering wheel made me think that the camera was taking the photos while slightly right of center ( I forgot to consider the angle of the steering wheel).
yea. Pretty far off huh? lol. When I watch videos or people driving POV it looks pretty similar to mine. Guess Subaru just designed it that way to annoy the driver or something. Sat in an outback, pretty similar. Let me know when you can confirm. Thanks

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Premium 7 Passenger / Previous car: Outback 2013 2.5l Manual transmission 170K
119 Posts
it is probably to match the volume gauge as well. If you pay attention to it, when the volume is half way at 20, well it is not exactly in the half way mark on the screen. 😡🤯 why ? I don’t know just because. And yes, you are welcome 😬

·
Registered
540 Posts
yea. Pretty far off huh? lol. When I watch videos or people driving POV it looks pretty similar to mine. Guess Subaru just designed it that way to annoy the driver or something. Sat in an outback, pretty similar. Let me know when you can confirm. Thanks
I think a lot depends on how you are seated while driving. I moved my butt a bit to the right or left and the wheel and cluster were aligned at one point. If not for this post, I never would have noticed it. Pretty much a non-issue for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it is probably to match the volume gauge as well. If you pay attention to it, when the volume is half way at 20, well it is not exactly in the half way mark on the screen. 😡🤯 why ? I don’t know just because. And yes, you are welcome 😬
haha. Hey maybe this will take my attention of the steering wheel!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts