Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you know if the car adjusts by selectively braking either of the front wheels or is there an actuator that turns the steering?

Lane keep assist is pretty good on the ascent and also quite aggressive. I ask because I am more likely to use it if it is actuator controlled. I don't want brakes going off all the time.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
It's the electronic steering. Before getting our 2020 we test drove a 2019. On the MY19 it was far more obvious the electronic steering in use, even when just making basic turns or quickly jerking the steering wheel around. I don't know what they did for the MY20, but it feels much better and more natural.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
For 2019 people, there are two versions to the LKA. Prior to August 2019 (my last 6000mi service), the LKA features the ping-pong effects, but after that it does the lane centering like the 2020 models. W/ the new software, I notice the computer knows that my hands are not on the steering wheel at all time ... kinda creepy.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
803 Posts
For 2019 people, there are two versions to the LKA. Prior to August 2019 (my last 6000mi service), the LKA features the ping-pong effects, but after that it does the lane centering like the 2020 models. W/ the new software, I notice the computer knows that my hands are not on the steering wheel at all time ... kinda creepy.
This is the first I've heard of a software updates for LKA, so my MY2019 (July 2018 built) can be upgraded?

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
This is the first I've heard of a software updates for LKA, so my MY2019 (July 2018 built) can be upgraded?
Mine is a Nov 2018 build and I actually liked the ping-pong effect, even though others on here don't. I honestly don't know how it changed because I didn't ask for it. I can only assume that the dealer updated it voluntarily while they're doing the radio preset update.

side note: the preset update has been working well since August 2019; I think they found the cure....lol

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
There is no Lane Centering update for the Ascent.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
There is no Lane Centering update for the Ascent.
what do you mean? I'm not saying that's what it's called; I remembered the first several months on trips, the steering wheel would sorta bounce or vibrate (as people on here characterized as "ping-pong effect") to maintain the car w/in the lane/line to remind me to turn to the middle of lane. Now it actually steers to the middle of the lane (i.e. it automatically centers the car to lane).

Whatever it features now, it can auto-pilot for about 30sec before it gives me the warning to put my hands back on the wheels.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
what do you mean? I'm not saying that's what it's called; I remembered the first several months on trips, the steering wheel would sorta bounce or vibrate (as people on here characterized as "ping-pong effect") to maintain the car w/in the lane/line to remind me to turn to the middle of lane. Now it actually steers to the middle of the lane (i.e. it automatically centers the car to lane).

Whatever it features now, it can auto-pilot for about 30sec before it gives me the warning to put my hands back on the wheels.
It's always been able to do that. There's been no update to the 2019 Eyesight programming at all. There's no TSBs, no programming files, no nothing for the Ascent Eyesight.

The better you get with the system, the longer you can get it to assist. The better the car thinks your track is, the more likely it will follow it if it feels the desire to assist you. What's changed, my friend, is you, not your car. ;)

(seriously, you're just getting more symbiotic with the system)

I can, hands off or on, from as soon as I learned exactly how the system responded to input and the road, do assist-runs that long. I spent a LOT of time practicing and learning though, when we first got a bunch of complaints early on in this forum (which was at the very beginning of my ownership).

If you play around a bit, you can get it to ride the edge of a line too.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
So, in previous threads, we all quivering about nothing!?!? It was just the term used by different maker, LKA vs Lane Centering

·
Super Moderator
2,456 Posts
@Trey T are you referring to how the LKA steers you back into a lane then straightens out again? I noticed mine doing that from near the beginning while op-testing the system limitations. It kind of feels like lane centering but only happens after you approach a line. It can hold a pretty decent curve by itself most of the time. From what I've picked up by its behavior it looks at the line near the vehicle to see if you're about to cross it, and also looks ahead at the curve so it knows to either keep steering or straighten out.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yes. Needless to say, my 2000 4Runner couldn’t do that. This one will steer to the center and keeps itself in the lane automatically. I think I know now what y’all talking about, the different degrees of “lane centering”. So what we have is a half-baked “lane centering” ... lol

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
And we have the “old” version of Eyesite LKA. The 2020s should’ve at least gotten the newer version.
It didn't make it into the 2020. I'm wondering if it will make it into the mid generation refresh.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We bought a 2020 Ascent in October and then a 2020 Legacy in December and the Ascent doesn't center you. I think it just depends on the angle you are coming into the edge of the lane as to how much it ping pongs back. In the Legacy, it will center and keep it there. The way it feels when it is doing this is completely different.

·
Registered
50 Posts
While touring in Canada we rented a Nissan compact SUV with the 360degree system ( which I wish our Ascents had ). The lane centering was very good at keeping the car centered in the lane without drifting back and forth with only enough touch on the steering wheel to keep the car from nagging to hold the wheel.. Our Ascent Limited will bounce off one lane marker and drift over to the other.... Perhaps one day there'll be a software update to enhance the LKA.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can someone confirm or deny that brakes are not used for LKA please :) ? I am glad questions related to LKA were answered but i still am not sure if brakes are used to assist with lane keeping.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Can someone confirm or deny that brakes are not used for LKA please :) ? I am glad questions related to LKA were answered but i still am not sure if brakes are used to assist with lane keeping.
No, they are not used.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.