Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how the car knows to turn this warning on. Twice now, the warning light comes on when there is rain/snow in the forecast but it hasn't actually started falling at all. The road is completely dry. The warning stays on all day (and after it does start snowing). I would have thought the warning light would be activated by the tires slipping, but maybe not?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Just curious how the car knows to turn this warning on. Twice now, the warning light comes on when there is rain/snow in the forecast but it hasn't actually started falling at all. The road is completely dry. The warning stays on all day (and after it does start snowing). I would have thought the warning light would be activated by the tires slipping, but maybe not?
That's not much of a warning if your tires loses traction, right?

"Warn" is to make a prediction on insight (eg low temp) not on tragic.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Like what Janner said, when the temperature reaches 37, the snowflake lights up.

If you are move out of your garage where it's above 37, you will also notice that once the outside temperature goes down to 37, the temperature will blink accompanied by both a notification tone and a warning on the dashboard saying that the roads might be icy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Subaru tires slip? Nah.

It is just a warning that there may be ice on the road. Braking distance could be greatly increased.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The first time the snowflake popped on for me, it was 37 degrees outside, but the roads were dry as sandpaper. Took me a couple minutes to figure out that it was probably based on temperature.

I find the snowflake unnecessary and a distraction. Anyone know if there is a way to disable it?

·
Registered
597 Posts
The first time the snowflake popped on for me, it was 37 degrees outside, but the roads were dry as sandpaper. Took me a couple minutes to figure out that it was probably based on temperature.

I find the snowflake unnecessary and a distraction. Anyone know if there is a way to disable it?
Could be worse on my wife's Hyundai it beeps loudly around 5 times to let you know every time the temp falls below a certain temp (35 I think) and if the outside temp is around 35 it seems to go off and on all the time beeping every time.

So far it has turned on a few times but I've hardly noticed it. I still think this is a really unnecessary warning.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's not much of a warning if your tires loses traction, right?

"Warn" is to make a prediction on insight (eg low temp) not on tragic.
I don't know, my last car had adaptive 4WD that only activated if the car detected that the tires were slipping. I assumed that these new cars with all their technology (my last car was a 2003) would be able to detect if one tire was slipping a bit (better than I could) but not enough to actually cause the car to lose contact with the road.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I don't know, my last car had adaptive 4WD that only activated if the car detected that the tires were slipping. I assumed that these new cars with all their technology (my last car was a 2003) would be able to detect if one tire was slipping a bit (better than I could) but not enough to actually cause the car to lose contact with the road.
The Ascent is always all wheel drive, but, its Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) is utterly stellar and can prevent wheel slip in all but the most horrendous of situations. It can brake individual wheels in any combination, in any quantity of 1, 2 or 3, and it can also cut engine power down to near nothing if need be.

https://www.planetsubaru.com/subaru-vehicle-dynamics-control-vdc.htm

At the 45s mark, you will see us drive up packed snow on top of ice. At the 1m05s mark, you will see us pull over, because the rear wheel drive BRZ slid back down the icy road and had to be pulled up by one of the Subaru STIs.

Give that some thought. The road was too icy for the BRZ on winter tires, but, the STI sports car (also on winter tires, NO studs or chains) and that magical Subaru Symmetrical AWD was so spot on that not just could the STI (and the other 19 Subie AWD vehicles behind me) make it up the hill, but the STI made it up while towing the BRZ.

I've never seen a car more capable at handling messy roads, and even the big Range Rover I used to own, while capable of clawing over deeper stuff, didn't have nearly as much control - neither does the big Dodge RAM 2500 in the family.

During the 48hrs of Tristate Subaru Enthusiast charity drives for Make-A-Wish NJ, we regularly churn over snow and ice covered roads, with about a hundred Subarus, at... decent... speeds, with no incidents.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Could be worse on my wife's Hyundai it beeps loudly around 5 times to let you know every time the temp falls below a certain temp (35 I think) and if the outside temp is around 35 it seems to go off and on all the time beeping every time.

So far it has turned on a few times but I've hardly noticed it. I still think this is a really unnecessary warning.
At least your wife's Hyundai tells her when the wheel is off-center. A great feature in my opinion to avoid hitting the side of the garage or another vehicle when taking off after being parked.

·
Registered
646 Posts
It's based on outside temperature. If it is 37 degrees or lower, up pops the snowflake!
Even my 08 impreza flashes the temperature sensor when it gets to 37. I think our 06 Tribeca was the same way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.