Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are about a month in but it's not my daily driver, but my wife's.

When I am driving it, I love using the ACC, but it drives my wife crazy in traffic, and she gets out the manual and tells me it says I shouldn't be doing that.

I notice comments of others using it in traffic on more secondary roads. I'm curious how people use it, and how well it works.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
It works great in traffic and on Subaru's web site it mentions that it is beneficial in traffic. Remember that using the ACC in traffic is no excuse for not paying attention. When a car darts in front of you the ACC may not notice in time so you have to be ready at all times to take over from the ACC. In my typical daily drive it is about two hours and an hour of that is in traffic and I might have to jump in and hit the brake a couple times a week.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
So far it has worked great for me in traffic, even stop and go, though def need to stay on your toes. One thing it's slow to catch is a car that starts to merge into my lane in front of me. Gotta be ready to brake for that.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
I agree. Works like a charm in traffic. Sometimes I use it when I feel myself getting frustrated that people in front of me won’t go. I let it maintain my following distance before I get on their ⚠!
I keep ready to apply the brake if needed but more often I find myself accelerating and canceling ACC. I even find myself changing lanes before a stop light to be behind another vehicle so my Ascent will stop behind them and I don’t even have to apply the brake*
Passing on the interstate is tricky on ACC when someone is in the left lane going slow. Since it’ll keep a distance between vehicles and only goes up to 90mph you’ll need some room to make a pass*

*not recommended to use these pro tips until you fully understand the capabilities and automatic responses of the system. Even then, at your own risk!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had a few issues in traffic:
1) The car turns in front of me and suddenly I'm accelerating in to an intersection with a stop light.
2) It slows me to a stop, but then doesn't start me back up again. It just beeps at me. Am I too impatient to wait for the ACC to start to accelerate me, or does it leave me stopped until I step on the accelerator?

Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
I've been using the ACC a lot the past few weeks on round trips to the airport dropping off and picking up friends and family. Since the closest major airport is 80 miles away with all but about 5 miles on interstate highways the cruise control has been my friend over the 8 trips back and forth.

I let it handle most traffic situations unless people are impatient and behaving badly, I'm always ready to take over even in normal traffic.

I've found that moving towards the edge of my lane where traffic is merging in from helps Eyesight acquire it sooner and moving away from cars exiting helps it to focus on the next car sooner.

I seldom use ACC on secondary roads.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
Am I too impatient to wait for the ACC to start to accelerate me, or does it leave me stopped until I step on the accelerator?
If it comes to a stop the dash will display the ACC icon with ‘hold’ below it. You can then either tap the skinny pedal or tap the +\- button up on the steering wheel to resume. As long as the vehicle in front of you isn’t in the way it’ll slowly bring you back up to speed

·
Registered
920 Posts
I usually only use my ACC in traffic. I think it's great for that. Yes you still have to pay attention, but now rather than spending time monitoring my speed I'm making sure nobody is turning into my car or cutting me off.

Was a godsend coming back on Labor Day when traffic was horrible. Even though I was towing my camper I just put it into ACC mode and would let it follow along at 5mph. Had to hit resume whenever we stopped, but that was still much easier.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I guess I'm old fashioned. With one exception, I only use ACC in situations where I would otherwise have used conventional cruise control in some fashion.

The exception is when going through construction slowdowns and the like. Variable speed stop and go without a lot of lane changing.

Of course, your wife is correct. The eyesight manual does state:
"Adaptive Cruise Control is designed for use on expressways, freeways, toll roads, interstate highways and similar limited access roads. It is not intended to be used in city traffic. "

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
It slows me to a stop, but then doesn't start me back up again. It just beeps at me. Am I too impatient to wait for the ACC to start to accelerate me, or does it leave me stopped until I step on the accelerator?
If ACC brings you to a complete stop for more than an extremely brief period of time, you must tap the "go" pedal to have it resume movement. That's how it's designed...to hold in place until you say it's ok to proceed.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.