Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is so silly that I have to ask this.

While my rear-ended Ascent was mid-repair, the body shop had to send it over to a Subaru dealer (not my regular dealer, but the place I purchased from - closer to the body shop, I guess) to get some codes cleared. Turned out my car had a bad battery and a fuel pump, so they replaced those under warranty. While they had it, I asked Subaru service advisor John if they could also address WUV07 CVT, WUU06 ECU, a windshield trim that looked like an assembly snafu, and my 24K service (oil and tire rotation; in my purchase deal, I get a certain number free). He said sure no problem.

As the work went on, the dealership communicated directly with the body shop, which was fine with me since the body shop was their customer in this scenario. The work concluded, the car was returned to the body shop, and the body shop people finished their stuff and told me that the car was ready.

I put in a call to the Subaru service advisor to see if they got all of the 24K service done. I could see that they did the windshield, as the gaping piece of trim was neatly sealed. Body shop gave me a copy of the dealership's invoice, and it said they did the fuel pump, battery, WUV07, and WUU06, but nothing about 24K service. (Interestingly, the dealership tried to charge the body shop $500 for doing the recalls and replacing the fuel pump and battery). Service operator said advisor John was busy, and would call me back. No callback. I picked up the car, called him again. Same deal, he will call me back, and I left another detailed voicemail. Nada. Third time, same result.

FRANK SUBARU IN EL CAJON CA, ARE YOU LISTENING?? SO GLAD I don't take my car to you for regular service.

So my question to the Ascent Forum: Is there a way that I can tell if my oil has been changed by the dealership if nothing is showing on the invoice and they won't return my call? Like maybe a date written on the filter, something like that? I want to know if I need to schedule a 24K service with my regular dealership. And I don't want to just guess and use a free oil change if it was just done 200 miles ago. And I don't want to rotate my tires back in error.

Again, this is a stupid question, because it is a ridiculous situation.

F.S. (love the car, frustrated with Frank Subaru)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Pull an oil sample and send it in for used oil analysis.

Make sure it has TBN analysis or pay additional for it (Blackstone), that would give you an idea if the oil was changed or not.

A fresh oil change should give a TBN of around 8.6

Something much lower, will indicate the oil was not changed.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Check your MySubaru account - it should be logged in there but sometimes it takes awhile. Also, put in a call to SOA about the lack of feedback and the need to know if required maintenance service was performed.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
I numbered the back side of each wheel anytime I ask a dealer to rotate them so (1) I know if they actually did it and (2) I know what pattern they used.

I agree with the dipstick as the best quick indicator. Assuming it was changed 5-6k miles ago it would be much lighter in color if it’s new. Having it analyzed would be reassuring too but not as fast.

I’d speculate that if it’s not even documented then they didn’t do it. If they can’t prove they did it then you should still have your free oil change to use.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,877 Posts
Fresh oil is clean. Pull the dip stick and wipe it with a white tissue. If it's light yellow, it's fresh, new oil. If it's dark, it's old oil.
That's a true statement, but quite often there is less discoloration in the change time intervals...even today's longer ones...with synthetics, etc. So it's not quite as obvious as it might have been in the past before high tech lubricants came into play.

Reactions: FirstSubie

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If it is not on the invoice they probably did not do the oil change. Dealers like to make money. They would not have forgot to put the oil change on the invoice for reimbursement from Subaru.

I would take it to a more trustworthy dealer and tell them what has happened. They can look it up and if it does not show on the Subaru computer system they will be happy to perform the 24k service for you.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dipstick is quite dark. Wiping with a white paper towel, it definitely can't be described as light yellow or even medium yellow.

MySubaru shows the recalls as being done, but not the 24K service (but services seem to take forever to show up).

Thanks all! Off to get my 24K service, from my regular dealership.

F.S.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Check your MySubaru account - it should be logged in there but sometimes it takes awhile. Also, put in a call to SOA about the lack of feedback and the need to know if required maintenance service was performed.
I would first put in a call to the service manager (not the service advisor) and in the meanwhile get the analysis completed to make sure everyone is honest. I would suggest you record the phone call with the manager (assuming you are in a one party record state). If the analysis comes out new then the only issue is a bad service advisor which the manager should know about. If it comes back old and they state that it was changed, then SOA will take them to the wood shed and make you whole.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
I have all my maintenance records on my iPhone using the Notes app.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who does that! I keep that as a log and a google drive folder with all service related forms and receipts.
BUT, I’d be hesitant to log maintenance I wasn’t sure about being performed.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Each of my vehicles has a maintenance spreadsheet in Google Docs, accessible anywhere.
Not a huge fan of cloud for personal files, but these are my exceptions.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
^^^ yep. I use cloud-based Excel spreadsheets for my maintenance records.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I emailed the service guy. Who knows, maybe he just isn't a phone person. He finally responded and said that they didn't get to do the 24K service. No apology for being incommunicado. No explanation as to why the windshield work got done but wasn't on the invoice.

I got the 24K service done a couple days ago, at my regular dealership (who don't get any points for attitude; but at least they respond to phone inquiries).

Anyway, for anyone in San Diego metro - I would avoid Frank Subaru in El Cajon. Or at least find a service person who will seems interested in addressing your needs.

F.S.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have now had two instances of a certain Subaru dealer doing recalls and I have asked for a basic oil change service to be completed at the same time where they wound up changing the filter but did not change the oil. Whether they forgot or intentional I do not know but I will not be going back for a third instance. I knew the color or state of the oil on the dipstick prior and then the color and state remained with the supposed fresh oil change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I emailed the service guy. Who knows, maybe he just isn't a phone person. He finally responded and said that they didn't get to do the 24K service. No apology for being incommunicado. No explanation as to why the windshield work got done but wasn't on the invoice.

I got the 24K service done a couple days ago, at my regular dealership (who don't get any points for attitude; but at least they respond to phone inquiries).

Anyway, for anyone in San Diego metro - I would avoid Frank Subaru in El Cajon. Or at least find a service person who will seems interested in addressing your needs.

F.S.

Which dealer do you use for normal service? We also purchased our Ascent from Frank Subaru (thought it was National City "Mile of Cars", but could be technically in El Cajon). We're coming up to first service soon.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Which dealer do you use for normal service? We also purchased our Ascent from Frank Subaru (thought it was National City "Mile of Cars", but could be technically in El Cajon). We're coming up to first service soon.
I used Bob Baker in Carlsbad, but their service advisors appear to be trained to not answer questions directly. "I'm sorry you feel that way. I've never heard of that TSB. That will be $500 please."

We moved to Texas in August. So far, the dealer here rocks!

Sorry I can't help with San Diego. That's all I tried.

F.S.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts