Subaru Ascent Forum banner

How do you remove the rear hatch exterior chrome trim piece?

Tags
diy
7K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Taki 
#1 ·
I damaged the rear hatch exterior chrome trim piece and purchased a replacement but it’s not obvious how to remove the original. Would really appreciate if anyone with experience in removing the trim piece shared their knowledge!

Many thanks!
Taki

#6 ·
Hi Denissh,

I had a go at replacing the rear hatch chrome trim piece using your instructions. Everything you mentioned was accurate but I was not able to easily release the (2) side reflectors after removing their (3) 8mm nuts. I’m confident I got all the 8mm nuts (3) from the center housing. It seemed as though there was one more thing holding the inside edge of the reflectors and outer edges of the chrome trim piece from releasing. How does the center housing with the chrome trim actually come off? Put everything back together so I could check back here first before proceeding.

Any more detail would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,
Taki

#3 ·
Thank you Dennish. If I understand correctly, the fasteners holding the exterior trim will be exposed once the interior panels are removed. Not sure what light reflectors you’re referring to but maybe not important?

Cheers,
Taki

#4 ·
The rear is three pieces. The two red and chrome reflectors on the outside edges, and the chrome trim piece that spans the width of the tailgate between them. Denissh is referring to those outer reflectors.

There's bolt(s) (one or two, I can't remember) under the liftgate's handle's cover - don't miss those.

#10 · (Edited)
mostly just pull(you should be pulling close the the clip , so you don't stress or crack trim piece ) , if you have Clip Removal Tool Kit it helps
here is the one i have

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.