Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because most of us love our Subaru's...
There are too many variants in parking lots to pick a strategy that works every time, but in general do we tend to pick the closest spot we find, do we park as far away as possible, or do we have some other preference?

I'll throw out my preference while I'm at it. The first thing I look for is any available end spot. If its close to where I'm going, then great. If its across a mostly empty parking lot, so be it. Either way, I'll be parking on the side of that spot as far from the side next to other vehicles as possible. Sometimes a spot next to handicap spots is the next best thing to an end spot since those don't tend to fill up.
Shopping carts come into play as well if they're applicable. Stay away from those!
Then if no end spots are available I look for a spot with a car backed in on one side and pulled in forward on the other. Theres always a driver but not always a passenger so thats one less chance of getting a door ding.
After that I'd rather park illegally and take my chances than put my Ascent in a narrow spot between 2 big vehicles! Also, I nearly always back into a space rather than pull in forward.

I'd love to hear what goes thru everyone else's head when parking! Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I prefer parking far away, or, failing that, end spots where I can park against the curb - in both cases to try to avoid door dings.

·
Registered
419 Posts
In my order of preference:
  • Parallel parking spots baby!
  • Space next to a super wide handicapped space (although this is risky - sometimes handicapped space users aren't very proficient at opening doors gently, or parking straight, or parking centered)
  • End spot where the adjacent space isn't their driver's side facing me
  • Regular parking lot spot far away from the cluster

F.S.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
Close, but end spots preferred. I also generally reverse into parking spaces when it doesn't create an issue...like when there is "heavy" parking lot traffic...since a lot of folks don't necessarily realize what you are doing and then get annoyed.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The one spot next to the handicapped spot with no other spots opposite the other side,if this makes sense.So it’s the curb/sidewalk/walkway,your vehicle then the handicapped spot

·
Registered
816 Posts
Whats everyone strategy on windy days and scattered shopping carts?
I have personally seen carts get catapulted and it is not funny seeing the outcome.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I normally don't park near the entrance/exit of the lot or too close to the store because sometimes it takes forever just to pull out of the space.

Much like everyone else I park as far away as possible to avoid other cars, but there's always that one owner who decides to park right next to you regardless how far you've parked.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I love my Ascent, but I treat it as the daily-driver that it is.

I just park.

:)

It may sound cavalier, but honestly, it's just another item that I really and honestly use every single day. It's not that I don't appreciate these items: I actually really like machines (even simple ones like knives), and I tend to be the "buy once, cry once" type, so I tend to spend a bit up front for what I want (hence the Touring). But I treat it like I'm using it.

I think that if I drove it Porsche, I'd do the same, too.

I'm not going to squeeze into a space - but that's more because I don't want to risk me bumping into the adjacent car as I open and exit (I'm what the airline industry refers to as a "widebody") or to give that driver/passenger too little room to get into their vehicle (that they're big like me is one thing, but what if they're elderly and just have a hard time getting in?).

But otherwise, I don't give it too much mind. :) It's not a show-car that I'm repainting every other week. :cool:

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
I don’t obsess about it either, I’ll try to pick the best option if given a choice but if not I take what’s available and don’t worry. I take care of my cars but in the end they are another tool.

We picked up a noticeable dent in the rear passenger door last winter while in the land of too many cars and tiny parking spaces, CA.

Wind blown shopping carts really bug me so I try to collect them on my way in to the store.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Yes, we we have Aldi although we don’t shop there. I’ve heard they charge for carts.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Us crazy people thank you for that! Do you have Aldi over there? It’s amazing what a quarter can do for a cart return!
Since the cart rack is longer than a car spot, we can park right next to it. This removes one side of our vehicle from other cars and there is no way for a cart to hit us. The only way a cart is near the rack is by someone bringing it there so it can not be blown into us. If it rolls out by some chance it also can not hit our vehicle.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I’m with TSiWRX and don’t worry much about door dings and such. Goofy thing are going to happen in parking lots especially when other people are involved. I always found that people, even if I don’t know them, are more important than a door ding. I drive way too much to worry about them and they do add character to a car.

I’m also big and tall and don’t like tight squeezes. It would be embarrassing to get stuck trying to get into my car and I’m too big to just get in any other door and make my way to the driver’s seat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
end spot, far way or if it's Costco, any spot as they are very wide spots.

In parking structures, I almost exclusively park next to a column/end spot

·
Registered
668 Posts
I drive way too much to worry about them and they do add character to a car.
I really love mechanical objects with some hard-won patina. I wouldn't go so far as "authentic battle damage" (see below), but, yeah, I'm the kind who likes stories to go along with scars. :)

I’m also big and tall and don’t like tight squeezes. It would be embarrassing to get stuck trying to get into my car and I’m too big to just get in any other door and make my way to the driver’s seat.
No joke - I struggled to get the Ascent to fit into one of the remaining spaces at The Rusty Scupper's deck in Inner-Harbor, Baltimore. I was finally able to wedge myself into a spot next to a shiny new Dodge Charger, so I thought to give that driver plenty of room to get in by literally wrapping my driver's side around a support beam. :ROFLMAO: While I was working my way into final position, I notice a rather inpatient looking (maybe I was just imagining that?) Fiat 500 idling in the isle, a few feet behind me.

As I'm getting out of my car and squeezing between the body of my Ascent and the adjacent support column (I told everyone that I'm a widebody, right? well, to be truthful, I'm more shaped like Kung-Fu Panda: actually, that's my nickname, "KFP"), that little tennis-shoe of a car is scooting into its space, so I give myself a little chuckle.

The funny thing happened as I walked into the restaurant, past the 500 - the passenger opens his door to disembark, and yells out "Help! I'm stuck!" just as the door makes a hollow thunk on the support column next to it. :giggle:

Oh, and this is too good to pass up, given the way this thread has turned......

^ Yeah, authentic battle damage!

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
59 Posts
I try to park next to expensive, nice looking cars, cars that appear to have owners that care about their cars and how they look. I'll do my best not to park next to any two door car as two door cars have much wider swinging doors. Parking on an end cap is conducive to being clipped by a car rounding the corner so I try to avoid those as much as possible. Parking next to a handicapped space is no guarantee you won't get dinged, lots of activity if a handicap van pulls in, lots of people, hydraulic ramps extending, wheel chairs etc. And it would be a big mistake to crowd a handicap space by parking right up against the blue line to put as much space between you and the car next to you which would be asking to get dinged if a handicap vehicle pulls in .

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
59 Posts
I try to park next to expensive, nice looking cars, cars that appear to have owners that care about their cars and how they look. I'll do my best not to park next to any two door car as two door cars have much wider swinging doors. Parking on an end cap is conducive to being clipped by a car rounding the corner so I try to avoid those as much as possible. Parking next to a handicapped space is no guarantee you won't get dinged, lots of activity if a handicap van pulls in, lots of people, hydraulic ramps extending, wheel chairs etc. And it would be a big mistake to crowd a handicap space by parking right up against the blue line to put as much space between you and the car next to you which would be asking to get dinged if a handicap vehicle pulls in .
Oh yeah, and try not to make it obvious that you are parking in a manner as to avoid a ding on your car.

·
Registered
Subaru Ascent 2020
59 Posts
I'm one that will park in an empty area of the lot. And I always love to come out of the building to find some jackass has saddled up right next to me. When there are dozens of available spots all over the lot. Jackass.
I believe there are those (jackass as you described them) who look for cars that appear to be parked in such a manner as to prevent being dinged and purposelessly park right next to them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts