Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than parking on a level ground, is it better for the car to rest 5 mins or so and then check? It is it better to wait a few hours before checking oil level to get the most accurate reading? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Other than parking on a level ground, is it better for the car to rest 5 mins or so and then check? It is it better to wait a few hours before checking oil level to get the most accurate reading? Thanks!
park vehicle on level ground. oil should be cold when checking, about ten minutes after the engine was running (this assures the oil has flowed fully back into the oil pan which is where the dipstick protrudes into). Pull the dipstick out and wipe with a lint free cloth. Re-insert dipstick and pull out again to check the fluid level on the dipstick. you should see marks for add or full. If the oil is very dirty, it needs to be changed. If it is low then simply add oil a bit at a time through the oil fill tube (this is not the dipstick tube). You will see the twist oil fill tube cap (reference the manual if you are uncertain and it probably says oil printed on it [upside down 710 ;)] - I do not recall if it is printed or a differentiated color cap on the Ascent). You can then check the oil level again on the dipstick. Do not overfill.

Wipe off any spills/drips to avoid burning off smell.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
My dealer has regular sales on oil changes so I bring it to the dealer for this service. By the time I go and purchase an equivalent quality oil and filter I find that any $ savings is not worth it to me. In the process, my dealer completes a multi-point check (so I have documentation of the status of some systems) and fills the wiper fluid.

Other owners prefer to maintain their own maintenance hands on their vehicles regardless of other factors.

If you do decide to change your own, I would suggest purchasing a Fumoto valve to make your life easier.

Regardless of who changes the oil, it is always a good idea to regularly check oil levels between changes and top off as necessary.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion folks! I usually go to the dealer as well for oil changes. But since I am dealing with increasing oil level problem I was told to measure it after driving and parking fir 5 mins. So just wanted to check in upto what time I could wait and still get an accurate reading 😀 apparently waiting too long results in an incorrect reading too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion folks! I usually go to the dealer as well for oil changes. But since I am dealing with increasing oil level problem I was told to measure it after driving and parking fir 5 mins. So just wanted to check in upto what time I could wait and still get an accurate reading 😀 apparently waiting too long results in an incorrect reading too.
I’ve been reading different posts on this forum, specifically about the rising oil problem, as we are experiencing this too. We’ve had our ‘19 ascent for a little over two years now, and it was going well until last month. With about 11,500 miles on it, my husband took it to the store not too far away then on the way home, the car shuddered, stalled out, and all the dash lights came on. He managed to get it home, and we tried starting it a couple times to see if it would “clear“. It didn’t. It continued to shake terribly with all the dash lights on and some flashing and even a terrible smell. We called roadside assistance, and had the car towed to our closest dealer. That happened on a Sunday night. Dealer looked at it Tuesday and was doing the same thing, with some smoke that time. Their Subaru tech looked at it Wednesday, three codes were thrown (p0103 mass air flow sensor A circuit high, p0300 random misfire and p0171 lean bank one) and supposedly the only problem found was “too much oil”, they assumed oil had just been changed. I told them it was done in July. But that was that. We were charged labor and cost of oil change as they said it wasn’t a warranty issue. Once we got the car home, we checked the oil...and it was at the full mark, spot on. Figured now we had a baseline established with them.

Fast forward a month...and last week after an hour drive we waited 5-10 min and checked the oil, to find it 1/2” above the full mark. Checked it again in the morning, still 1/2” above. Contacted our dealer, they said this time it would be warranty and got us a loaner (it was Christmas Eve when I called). They said we are their 3rd person to call on this. Picked the car up today, and they are claiming that Subaru said it is normal with the fuel injection and Subaru is sending literature on it. I inquired about last months problem and how that was blamed on the oil being too high and this month the oil being high is normal?? Makes no sense. They then said maybe there’s something else that caused the shuddering and whatnot. The oil does have a strong gas smell to it also.

Hoping Subaru is working on a fix for this as it sounds like many are experiencing the rising oil and the smell of gas in it. If not, I don’t think we’ll be keeping it past warranty.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I’ve been reading different posts on this forum, specifically about the rising oil problem, as we are experiencing this too. We’ve had our ‘19 ascent for a little over two years now, and it was going well until last month. With about 11,500 miles on it, my husband took it to the store not too far away then on the way home, the car shuddered, stalled out, and all the dash lights came on. He managed to get it home, and we tried starting it a couple times to see if it would “clear“. It didn’t. It continued to shake terribly with all the dash lights on and some flashing and even a terrible smell. We called roadside assistance, and had the car towed to our closest dealer. That happened on a Sunday night. Dealer looked at it Tuesday and was doing the same thing, with some smoke that time. Their Subaru tech looked at it Wednesday, three codes were thrown (p0103 mass air flow sensor A circuit high, p0300 random misfire and p0171 lean bank one) and supposedly the only problem found was “too much oil”, they assumed oil had just been changed. I told them it was done in July. But that was that. We were charged labor and cost of oil change as they said it wasn’t a warranty issue. Once we got the car home, we checked the oil...and it was at the full mark, spot on. Figured now we had a baseline established with them.

Fast forward a month...and last week after an hour drive we waited 5-10 min and checked the oil, to find it 1/2” above the full mark. Checked it again in the morning, still 1/2” above. Contacted our dealer, they said this time it would be warranty and got us a loaner (it was Christmas Eve when I called). They said we are their 3rd person to call on this. Picked the car up today, and they are claiming that Subaru said it is normal with the fuel injection and Subaru is sending literature on it. I inquired about last months problem and how that was blamed on the oil being too high and this month the oil being high is normal?? Makes no sense. They then said maybe there’s something else that caused the shuddering and whatnot. The oil does have a strong gas smell to it also.

Hoping Subaru is working on a fix for this as it sounds like many are experiencing the rising oil and the smell of gas in it. If not, I don’t think we’ll be keeping it past warranty.
I suggest you have an oil sample tested.

·
Registered
55 Posts

My oil level is also 1/2 higher than MAX... And my ascent too had blue stinky smoke and shaking for 5 min in August 2020 (July 2020 was oil change at dealership). However, no "Christmas tree" on the dashboard, it just burned and I could get home (800km). This happened after being parked tilted on the road side for 4 hours. After that actually I've checked oil and noticed much higher level than Max.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My oil level is also 1/2 higher than MAX... And my ascent too had blue stinky smoke and shaking for 5 min in August 2020 (July 2020 was oil change at dealership). However, no "Christmas tree" on the dashboard, it just burned and I could get home (800km). This happened after being parked tilted on the road side for 4 hours. After that actually I've checked oil and noticed much higher level than Max.
What’s your build date? Also how long after parking did you check it? I was told to record it 5 mins after I park by my dealer.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Oil level checked after driving 100 miles and dealer service did the change. Rested overnight in the garage before photos taken this morning;

·
Registered
55 Posts
What’s your build date? Also how long after parking did you check it? I was told to record it 5 mins after I park by my dealer.
After several days and 800km. My impression was that the dealer just overfilled (this happened with my sorento and kia dealer before). So my plan was just to highlight it to the subaru dealer next time (February 2021 oil change) and to make sure they are precise. I did not even have a thought that it could be fuel or cooling liquid in my oil ... which(cooling liquid) BTW is at its minimal level.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Somewhat related dealer overfill question: Going by the manual, my dealer regularly overfills my cars by 300 - 500ml. Their claim is that their rep told them the correct way to check oil level on current Subarus (2020 Ascent & Crosstrek) is to run the engine for 20 - 30 seconds and then check the oil level immediately after shutting it down. This contradicts the owner's manual and the information I received in a phone call with Subaru customer service. Customer service claimed they would contact my dealer and straighten things out, but after the most recent oil changes, I drained 400 ml from the Crosstrek and 300 ml from the Ascent to get them down to the full mark when checked cold on level ground. Has anybody else run into this, or am I pretty safe to call BS.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Somewhat related dealer overfill question: Going by the manual, my dealer regularly overfills my cars by 300 - 500ml. Their claim is that their rep told them the correct way to check oil level on current Subarus (2020 Ascent & Crosstrek) is to run the engine for 20 - 30 seconds and then check the oil level immediately after shutting it down. This contradicts the owner's manual and the information I received in a phone call with Subaru customer service. Customer service claimed they would contact my dealer and straighten things out, but after the most recent oil changes, I drained 400 ml from the Crosstrek and 300 ml from the Ascent to get them down to the full mark when checked cold on level ground. Has anybody else run into this, or am I pretty safe to call BS.
I have not listed to car talk in decades but fondly recall the belly laughs. Here is their detailed explanation on why owners are so darn confused on this topic. I thin kit makes sense. Therefore the bottom line is to follow the specific owners manual since each dipstick may be setup differently. I also wonder if the oil change artists at the dealerships understand the issue to this extent.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have not listed to car talk in decades...
The Tappet Brothers were born a bit before me, but my logic basically matches with the exception of a few motorcycles which have very specific ways to get accurate oil readings. (mostly BMW weirdness) The dealer's version of check it quick before it drains back is contradicting my brain and the book.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
The Tappet Brothers were born a bit before me, but my logic basically matches with the exception of a few motorcycles which have very specific ways to get accurate oil readings. (mostly BMW weirdness) The dealer's version of check it quick before it drains back is contradicting my brain and the book.
agreed, this dealer is probably also dealing in something other than cars.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK...so to update everyone...I got a call from the dealer, they had the car overnight and contacted Subaru. Now I am being told that I have to check the engine within 1 min of parking, If its overnight, the level will go high....not sure what to make of this reasoning...I had oil upto the twist and now Subaru is saying its normal...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts