Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a trailer with 13 inch tires. I purchased the accent hitch and the 6-7 in drop isn't anywhere close to what I need to level it. I'm not quite sure how to calculate what I need to purchase and adjustable hitch that will go low enough. I see threads on a 14000lbs Curt maybe that's because it's the only one going low enough to use but if I pull 1500 with the trailer I think I would be pushing it because I tow camping stuff once a year. Any one have lowes trailer that's close to this mine is 4 years old but I think this would be the trailer https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carry-On-T...e-Mesh-Utility-Trailer-with-Ramp-Gate/3699516

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Looking at Curt’s web site they have class 3 ball mounts with up to 10” of drop. Or you could drop your Ascent into a low rider.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What kind of camper do you have or do you just load this trailer with camping stuff. To measure how much of a drop you need level the trailer and measure from inside the coupler to the ground and then measure from top of trailer ball on your ascent to the ground the difference is how much additional drop you need. I have a util trailer with 13 " tires and I found I needed 8" of drop. I ordered this one from Northern Hydraulics. Ultra-Tow Steel Ball Mount Class III, 8in. Drop, 5000-Lb. Tow Weight, 14in.L | Northern Tool
I didn't plan on towing any other trailers, but have found it is about the correct height for most 2000lb or lighter
trailers. It was on sale for $25 when I got it. If you want to get an adjustable they are quite a bit more costly.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,854 Posts
A 6" drop ball mount will provide a ball height of about 18-19" on the Ascent. You need to measure the ball height of your trailer when it's sitting level and use that to calculate what drop you need. If it's 16", then you need an 8" drop ball mount. Etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts