Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's the most gallons you have pumped into your Ascent? On any car I've owned, figuring out the practical range has been an exercise of Chicken, and I only truly find out how far the car will go by my own stupidity. I hope to benefit us all from yours! ? [Seriously though, please read the caution/disclaimer below.**]

In the interest of science, please try to provide information about your highest fill to date:
- Number of gallons pumped into your tank (to the tenths digit please!)
- Did you re-squeeze a bunch after the pump auto-stopped?
- Did you push past the point when the Ascent computer gave up on telling you Number of Miles Left? How far past?
- Gas needle position upon arriving at the pump (how empty does empty look?)
- Any other mitigating factors

I'm nervous to ever push past when the car is telling me 30 or 20 miles left. But if our true effective tank is 19.3 (and the car is able to slurp up all of it), I'd like to know if I can get all of it! If no one here posts that they went way way past the empty line and filled up with high 18's or into 19's, maybe it's just not available to us?

** Please please don't put yourself at risk and push toward empty. I am only trying to benefit our Ascent community from our collective trials (and risky mistakes) OF THE PAST through this helpful data. No matter what anyone posts, please OPERATE CAREFULLY, as your vehicles may have gas dials and pickups and sensors set differently. Don't push it on purpose! Running out of gas on the road is hazardous to your health and those around you, and probably not great for your car either.

F.S.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Mine to date, 2019 Touring:
- 18.0 gallons filled - and I thought I was toast for the last 20 miles
- I re-squeezed a bunch, because I couldn't believe the pump stopped at 17.x gallons after being so empty (I know, bad practice)
- Drove about 8 miles past when Miles Remaining went from "10" to "--"
- Gas needle was half a needle width past the last Empty line (half a needle of black space showing)
- Less than 6 days between fillups, highs of 68F, so I don't think evaporation was a factor. California winter blend 87 octane, if that matters.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just the obligatory dad note.
Although it is good to know your ultimate range in case you are ever in that position, you should not run near empty if you can avoid it. The fuel pump on most vehicles is inside of the tank and utilizes the gas surrounding it to cool the pump. Repeatedly running under 1/4 tank can expose your fuel pump to more heat and wear over time, shortening the life of your pump. There are other reasons to fill up by 1/4 left, but any time or money you think you might save by running it close to empty will be more than offset by a possible early fuel pump failure.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
I don’t have my exact numbers but I know for sure it’ll do 20+ more miles after the display reads - -
Does the limited/touring display as low as 10 mi to empty? I have a premium and is goes to the - - below 20.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not completely sure that I saw 10 miles, maybe it was 20 for a while and them "--". Had it in my mind that I saw 10 however. Interesting data point on your miles after "--".

@mr.paul, good Daddy note. Always a good idea to not push it, and I didn't know that about fuel pump cooling.

But I think it is good info to know just how much capacity any of our cars actually have, so that we don't artificially limit our range (even down to 1/4, if the readout is wrong for example). If I shoot for refill at 1/4 tank, is that (a) visual gauge 1/4? (b) 0.75 x 19.3? (c) 0.75 x 18.0?

For one thing, I don't want to spend the life of my car stopping at gas stations and opening my cap and exposing raw gas to the air any more than is necessary. And yeah, I do like more range vs less.

That is the point of my query.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not completely sure that I saw 10 miles, maybe it was 20 for a while and them "--". Had it in my mind that I saw 10 however. Interesting data point on your miles after "--".

@mr.paul, good Daddy note. Always a good idea to not push it, and I didn't know that about fuel pump cooling.

But I think it is good info to know just how much capacity any of our cars actually have, so that we don't artificially limit our range (even down to 1/4, if the readout is wrong for example). If I shoot for refill at 1/4 tank, is that (a) visual gauge 1/4? (b) 0.75 x 19.3? (c) 0.75 x 18.0?

For one thing, I don't want to spend the life of my car stopping at gas stations and opening my cap and exposing raw gas to the air any more than is necessary. And yeah, I do like more range vs less.

That is the point of my query.
Yesterday, while driving through desolate New Mexico, our 2019 Ascent ran out of fuel while driving on the highway. It was at 1/8 tank and showing 50 mi range. The low fuel light was not on. When we filled it, it only took 15.5 gallons of fuel. The Subaru tech said that the way the tanks are configured you can run out of fuel any point below 1/4 full. The tank apparently has 2 low points in it and if there is fuel in the wrong side, it can be inaccessible.

We ran out of fuel on a desolate highway with 2 kids in the backseats with no fuel light on and Subaru claims this is normal. Total BS to me. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
I regularly run past the low fuel light, all over the country, without issue. I'd have the fuel sensors checked, especially if the car was a part of the fuel pump recall.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,161 Posts
What Robert said...something is amiss and that is not normal.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I run her down to --- miles to go, and often 20 miles beyond that, and on a few occasions 40 miles beyond Fill up at --- miles indicated takes ~16.2 gal so supposedly there's ~3 gallon left in the 19.3 gal tank.

·
Registered
136 Posts
2020 Touring, most I've ever pumped is 15.5 G US nearly empty, well below 1/8. But only about 10 miles after the warning went off. Then reports just above the F line. Surprised to hear the tank is actually 19. Seems I'm always at the gas station and the mileage isn't terrible for the size, weight and how I drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts