Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello forums! Have a few quick hotspot questions:

1. Does the hotspot stay active when the vehicle is off? If so, how draining is it on the battery?
2. What sort of up/down speeds should we expect at full AT&T connectivity?
3. Apparently an AT&T auto data plan also comes with a phone number...does this work with the Ascent?
4. Can the data plan be managed via the myAT&T app?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
1. Does the hotspot stay active when the vehicle is off? If so, how draining is it on the battery?
Not more than briefly.
2. What sort of up/down speeds should we expect at full AT&T connectivity?
Just like with your mobile devices, it depends upon signal strength, wireless band and congestion. It will be similar to using the hotspot feature of your phone. The radio in the Ascent is pretty sensitive, however, so you may get signal in some places where a phone struggles.
3. Apparently an AT&T auto data plan also comes with a phone number...does this work with the Ascent?
Just like with any dedicated hot spot, a phone number is assigned for identification, but you can't "call" it.
4. Can the data plan be managed via the myAT&T app?
If you add the Ascent hot spot to your ATT account, it's "just another line" relative to managing it with ATT resources.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Jim. Good to know about the unusable number I didn't realize that. And I don't have AT&T for my cell phone so I may be stuck with the mobile site (not the app). I created an account with AT&T but it may just be unique for auto plans. Could be wrong about that though I'm still learning...

I wasn't getting very strong up/down at all, compared to just sticking with LTE. I'm just on the monthly trial now, and so far I'm a little "meh" here.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
If you add the Ascent hot spot to your ATT account, it's "just another line" relative to managing it with ATT resources.
It will also be cheaper. You can add a data line to an existing account at a discount.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
I wasn't getting very strong up/down at all, compared to just sticking with LTE
It's also using LTE when possible, but if it's a different carrier than you have, depending on where you are, the signal strength might be different.

I see no advantage to using the hot spot in many cases unless either there are folks who are traveling that need the access...like passengers with devices that don't have direct cellular service or where they do, but have very limited data plans, or folks folks with phone carriers that have service that is less ubiquitous than ATT in the area they are traveling in. Given so many people/families have "unlimited" data on their wireless accounts, I'm not convinced that vehicle hot spots are something I want to get excited about. But that's me. Others might feel differently.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I see no advantage to using the hot spot in many cases unless either there are folks who are traveling that need the access...like passengers with devices that don't have direct cellular service or where they do, but have very limited data plans, or folks folks with phone carriers that have service that is less ubiquitous than ATT in the area they are traveling in. Given so many people/families have "unlimited" data on their wireless accounts, I'm not convinced that vehicle hot spots are something I want to get excited about. But that's me. Others might feel differently.
That or living in areas with spotty reception (for all carriers), like in the Port Henry/Ticonderoga NY areas. I find that the bigger antenna helps when I am spending weeks up there, to grab a signal my phone won't.

I think another possibility is where kids or other family members may have a limited data plan (still happens) and one wants to "open up" more to them for a long road trip.

But even then, it's not always a benefit. For instance, AT&T will throttle at 22GB. Having a whole family on the hotspot on a road trip vacation will eat that quickly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think another possibility is where kids or other family members may have a limited data plan (still happens) and one wants to "open up" more to them for a long road trip. But even then, it's not always a benefit. For instance, AT&T will throttle at 22GB. Having a whole family on the hotspot on a road trip vacation will eat that quickly.
Yea I'm definitely still on the fence about it, but I signed up for the monthly payments for now ($15/month). I can always cancel since I'm not locked into a contract. I'm trying to get into podcasts more which will use more data, and I don't have unlimited data thru Verizon. I don't really need it since most of the time wifi is available...except in my car ha. It's actually not much more to have unlimited data with AT&T in the car versus paying my mobile carrier, plus the fact that my family can use it as well. I'll give it a month or two to see how much data I/we realistically use, and make the determination then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts