Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 Touring rear view mirror with 6 buttons and one lever. Sitting at grocery today at 3pm waiting for curb side delivery, reached up and touched the rear view mirror. It was very hot. The rear camera had not been used/turned on. Anybody else notice a hot rear view mirror?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,176 Posts
2021 Touring rear view mirror with 6 buttons and one lever. Sitting at grocery today at 3pm waiting for curb side delivery, reached up and touched the rear view mirror. It was very hot. The rear camera had not been used/turned on. Anybody else notice a hot rear view mirror?
Mines always hot whether using mirror or camera. I think the screen is always active and the lever just tilts it so it can be seen through the 2-away mirror.

·
Administrator
11,090 Posts
The lever turns on the image on the LCD, but, I believe much of the rest of the electronics are active all the time.

Mine is always warm. I also use it all the time.

If it's getting very hot (not warm or pretty warm), some people have found it's due to the mirror being stuck in some HomeLink function. That generally happens if HomeLink pairing had failed at some point. I don't remember what the solution to that was (the solution to reset HomeLink). If you think that's the cause, I think it was mentioned elsewhere in the forums. If you can't find it, let me know, and I will dig.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,176 Posts
If it's getting very hot (not warm or pretty warm), some people have found it's due to the mirror being stuck in some HomeLink function. That generally happens if HomeLink pairing had failed at some point. I don't remember what the solution to that was (the solution to reset HomeLink). If you think that's the cause, I think it was mentioned elsewhere in the forums. If you can't find it, let me know, and I will dig.
Never had an issue connecting Homelink to my one garage door opener. Connected exactly as the instructions said, easy peasy, no re-do's needed. But, the mirror is always hot and I rarely use the camera function.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,256 Posts
I looked at our rearview mirror tonight and gave it some thought. I think the light source in the mirror is likely an LED array. It's got to produce a picture and the compass graphics and send it through a mirrored glass, which is probably not very transmissive. So I bet it's an LED array and it's probably driven quite high (explaining the temperature). And when you observe the mirror, the LED picture never actually turns off when you flip it from "picture" mode to "mirror" mode. The compass graphic is persistent and you even get a little on/off indicator for the auto dim that appears momentarily. So I do suspect the system continues to "run" even in mirror mode -- because it's still driving the digital compass, etc.

Given the presumptive high level of energy in that LED array to drive the picture through a mirrored glass panel, and given the small volume of the mirror, I think the warm exterior temperature is pretty understandable.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,176 Posts
Given the presumptive high level of energy in that LED array to drive the picture through a mirrored glass panel, and given the small volume of the mirror, I think the warm exterior temperature is pretty understandable.
The Florida sun through the windshield is happy to provide additional heat. Although it does get hot at night too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.