Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a 2020 Ascent Touring. I've got about 800 miles on it. It has its quirks, but all-in-all I've been pretty pleased with it. Until...the last few times my wife or I have driven it, it makes an absolutely bone-chilling metal-on-metal shrieking sound when in reverse (and a little bit in Drive too, but not nearly as bad). It's not a brake problem, since my foot's off the brake when it occurs. But I don't "feel" a grinding or anything, so I don't know that it's a trapped stone or anything like that.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or if anyone who knows way more about cars than I do can chime in. I posted a video here on YouTube:

Chris

·
Registered
262 Posts
Something isn’t right for sure. I’d take it to the dealer right away, hopefully it’s something simple to fix. I haven’t seen anyone post on here with that particular noise.

·
Administrator
11,404 Posts
Have it taken to the dealership. Sounds like something caught in a brake pad or a pad that's detached.

·
Registered
18 Posts
yeah, had this happen once a few years ago... We were still in our BMW X3. it was a stone caught between the rotor and the backing plate. We were in the middle of a road trip. Ended up asking for a tow because it sounded SO BAD. By the time we got towed to a dealership, they could not replicate the problem. They said based on the road we were on, and subsequently the extremely pot-hole filled road our tow driver had to take, it's likely a stone caught between the rotor and backing plate, but then the stone got dislodged while our tow went through this pot hole filled street (it was the only accessible road).

It would one make that sound going in one direction (forward), but not the other (backing up).

I'm glad yours was the same thing and nothing serious!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts