Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new here although i've read all topics on this forum, and also have those small problems like jammed liftgate and stuff like that, and i can live with that. But what i cant really deal with is what i'm getting in MPG segment. I got my Ascent 1.5 month ago, got 1437 miles on it, and computer (trip "A") shows that i'm averaging 12.6 MPG. Every time i feel up it tells me that it's good to go until empty for 250 (!!!) miles. I mean i was never a guy that was looking to much into MPG, but this is robbery i tell you. Thank God i'm leasing it, but still got some three years to go. I'll be honest, since i lease this car, i didnt care about "break in" period and i was driving somewhat aggressively, and punched turbo a lot but at the same time i never did care, and never had disaster that i'm having now. Can we say that Subaru all of a sudden is so sensitive to "break in" period? I just hope not, because this is my second Subaru and i fell in love with it primaliry because of the way it drives, but if they won't fix it i would brobably give up on Subie.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm new here although i've read all topics on this forum, and also have those small problems like jammed liftgate and stuff like that, and i can live with that. But what i cant really deal with is what i'm getting in MPG segment. I got my Ascent 1.5 month ago, got 1437 miles on it, and computer (trip "A") shows that i'm averaging 12.6 MPG. Every time i feel up it tells me that it's good to go until empty for 250 (!!!) miles. I mean i was never a guy that was looking to much into MPG, but this is robbery i tell you. Thank God i'm leasing it, but still got some three years to go. I'll be honest, since i lease this car, i didnt care about "break in" period and i was driving somewhat aggressively, and punched turbo a lot but at the same time i never did care, and never had disaster that i'm having now. Can we say that Subaru all of a sudden is so sensitive to "break in" period? I just hope not, because this is my second Subaru and i fell in love with it primaliry because of the way it drives, but if they won't fix it i would brobably give up on Subie.
So you lease (the most non commitment way to have a car) clearly by your own admission didn’t follow the owners manual, have nearly no miles on it and your complaining about mileage on a 8 passenger 260hp awd wagon?

So regardless of all that drama non of my Subarus posted consistant good mileage till 15,000 miles. They kept improving till 25,000.

On the flip side my 8 passenger, 5000lb rated, v8 powered SUV gets 14-15mpg around town driving like a responsible person it easily will do 12mpg being driven like a spoiled teenager.

Until they offer plugin hybrid 7-8 passenger vehicles with 5000lb tow ratings all vehicles this size will run between low teens and low to mid 20’s and see large mileage impacts from lead foot driving.

250+hp heavy vehicles burn fuel when being driven aggressively no way around the law of physics and chemistry.

Your complaint is why I scratched my plan to buy this summer and simply wait a bit longer and get a plugin. Probably a Lincoln Aviator coming off lease. Psst I haven’t had a car payment in 9yrs its nice you should try it some time.

·
Registered
920 Posts
It depends a lot on how you drive it. If I granny it and am slow off the starts and drive the speed limit, I can get 24-28mpg. If I enjoy the turbo and speed on the highway it'll drop to 20-22mpg.

The worst I had was doing 100mph into a big headwind on the highway and I was getting 10mpg.

I would suggest you reset your trip A to get a fresh start and see how it does going forward. Are you actually refilling every 250 miles or is the reading just skewed from your first few tanks?

Heck I get 15mpg while towing 4750lbs at highway speeds!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you lease (the most non commitment way to have a car) clearly by your own admission didn’t follow the owners manual, have nearly no miles on it and your complaining about mileage on a 8 passenger 260hp awd wagon?

So regardless of all that drama non of my Subarus posted consistant good mileage till 15,000 miles. They kept improving till 25,000.

On the flip side my 8 passenger, 5000lb rated, v8 powered SUV gets 14-15mpg around town driving like a responsible person it easily will do 12mpg being driven like a spoiled teenager.

Until they offer plugin hybrid 7-8 passenger vehicles with 5000lb tow ratings all vehicles this size will run between low teens and low to mid 20’s and see large mileage impacts from lead foot driving.

250+hp heavy vehicles burn fuel when being driven aggressively no way around the law of physics and chemistry.

Your complaint is why I scratched my plan to buy this summer and simply wait a bit longer and get a plugin. Probably a Lincoln Aviator coming off lease. Psst I haven’t had a car payment in 9yrs its nice you should try it some time.
I actually was going to buy it, but then i made some research mostly on this webside and i deside to lease it first, to see how it behave and then buy it at the end as i dont do a lot of miles (my 2016 legacy was 26k at the end of lease). I agree with all your fare questions, but i tried every way to improve MPG, including "baby it" and it just wouldnt help. Thats why i mentioned that i didnt do no "break in" period, and somewhat may be got this car on wrong side of the road and thats the way its going to drive from now on?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends a lot on how you drive it. If I granny it and am slow off the starts and drive the speed limit, I can get 24-28mpg. If I enjoy the turbo and speed on the highway it'll drop to 20-22mpg.

The worst I had was doing 100mph into a big headwind on the highway and I was getting 10mpg.

I would suggest you reset your trip A to get a fresh start and see how it does going forward. Are you actually refilling every 250 miles or is the reading just skewed from your first few tanks?

Heck I get 15mpg while towing 4750lbs at highway speeds!
Well im filling up with quarter of tank left and it says 60 miles to go, and my B trip comp. shows about 180-190 miles. So all in all thats what im getting. Or might get. Only once it showed 280 or 290 until empty but still as i was driving in droped down very quikly untill i get to my average (i guess).

·
Registered
418 Posts
I actually was going to buy it, but then i made some research mostly on this webside and i deside to lease it first, to see how it behave and then buy it at the end as i dont do a lot of miles (my 2016 legacy was 26k at the end of lease). I agree with all your fare questions, but i tried every way to improve MPG, including "baby it" and it just wouldnt help. Thats why i mentioned that i didnt do no "break in" period, and somewhat may be got this car on wrong side of the road and thats the way its going to drive from now on?

Maybe someone else can chime in with the method to do this, as I don't remember, but I do know there's a way to convince the ECU to "forget" what it's learned about your driving style and start "learning" fresh again. Perhaps if you do that and then do another 1k miles as the company advises for the break in period, your issues will be resolved.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe someone else can chime in with the method to do this, as I don't remember, but I do know there's a way to convince the ECU to "forget" what it's learned about your driving style and start "learning" fresh again. Perhaps if you do that and then do another 1k miles as the company advises for the break in period, your issues will be resolved.
I will try. Thank you.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well im filling up with quarter of tank left and it says 60 miles to go, and my B trip comp. shows about 180-190 miles. So all in all thats what im getting. Or might get. Only once it showed 280 or 290 until empty but still as i was driving in droped down very quikly untill i get to my average (i guess).
What sort of driving are you doing?

I believe you can clear ECU by disconnecting the battery and let it sit for a few minutes. (I think, not 100% sure).

Anyway your MPG isn't based on how much gasoline is actually used, but rather how much gasoline the car thinks you are using based on your acceleration percentage, engine temp, speed, and a whole lot of math. It then takes that estimate and applies it to how much fuel is being read in the tank. In terms of acceleration there is actually a page in the upper center control menu that will tell you how much accelerator you are pressing. There is also the green MPG bar to tell you how economical you are at that moment. I've run the tank estimate to 0 before and still had a gallon and a half in the tank based on filling the full tank.

I gave my Subaru a break in period so that doesn't really affect MPG. I currently have 7500 miles. Since the last oil change 2,500 miles ago my MPG is only at 19. Winter blend gasoline, extremely cold weather in Chicago, my lead foot driving, and my entire 12.5 mile round trip commute is all streets, lights, and a whole bunch of left and right turns. My lowest was 17 and my best was almost 20 when I drove like my grandma which didn't last long.

I drove to Nashville this weekend and back. In the 1200 round trip miles mostly highway and some Nashville driving I avg 23 MPG. My highway speeds were 75-90 miles an hour running mostly cruise control set in dynamic acceleration mode. I'm sure I could run eco and comfort for better MPG, but I like dynamic because it's a bit more aggressive at accelerating.

Here is what you really need to do. Go to the gas station fill up the car. Also if you are one of those who tops off their gas tank once the pump clicks, dont.

Reset your trip computer. Drive until you are ready to fill up. Fill up your car again and then calculate how much gas you put in and how many miles you drove. This is your actual MPG and the only accurate determination of MPG.

The ECU relies on data gathered and estimates based on this. Some drives are inconsistent and some are textbook. Sharing the car with a spouse is also going to affect how it figures this out.

My calculated MPG is a 1-2 mpg better that the ECU shows on AVG. I've always had this problem with any car I have owned. I am just a wild card.

Good luck!

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you are interested in how well the car can achieve mpg, try to get good at setting and managing Adaptive Cruise Control (cruise control with smart forward eyesight). In Settings, put ACC on Eco mode, the least aggressive. I started using it on the freeway, and eventually got proficient enough at the
buttons that I could use it on rural roads without endangering myself or others ?

This was eye-opening for me, as it illustrated the degree of lead-foot that I normally apply. The mpg while using ACC is really good, right up there with EPA numbers if not better. And having the car "model" good mpg driving showed me that my right foot gobbles a lot of gas doing two things:
(1) accelerating to speed (I mash it), and
(2) changing speed when I really don't have to (steady speed, when appropriate for the road, uses much less gas than constantly moving from 55 to 60 to 55 to 65... which I apparently do, a lot).

Highway is easy, but you can also use ACC on rural roads above 20mph... just be careful, and wait for the button skills.

Anyway, with that education, I've adapted my right foot a bit, not to simulate Eco mode ACC completely (it's a real granny in accelerating to speed), but I sure am more aware when I'm dumping gas with no tangible gains in arriving faster. My foot is much better at smart gas consumption now, without losing the fun.

That said, I do believe that any particular vehicle's long-term mpg is much affected by a good break-in. But try ACC to see what your car's potential is.

F.S.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was disturbed too, at first. But I realized that, when I selected the "Auto" knob on my heater/ac system it always engaged my ac compressor. Once I started turning the ac off manually, my mpg jumped about 10-15%. Now I have over 7500 miles on it and I get about 22 mpg around town (mixed street/freeway driving, 25-27 mpg on the highway (70-90 mph), and 11 mpg towing my Polaris Ranger on a tandem trailer. My overall average is very close to 20 mpg - impressive for such a big and powerful car that can be a little too much fun to drive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just did all highway from NH to NJ and back and got 30 mpg (computer). I do have the acceleration setting for cruise on ECO and averaged about 70 mpg (65 when speed limit was lower).

Switch to summer gas and warmer temps helped a lot. I think my long term average with 9,000 miles is about 24.2 (computer).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah the only time I'd dropped below 20 in any driving, I had about 4000lbs of dirt in a trailer behind it. My wife and I average about 23 city with relatively responsible driving (I still give it an Italian tune up about once a week).

That being said if you lay into it a lot the engine can drink just like a V8.

I agree with things that have already been stated -

- Reset your trip
- The AC compressor does drag on the engine. It does this in all 4 cylinder cars. Bigger engines don't feel it as much.
- My mpgs started averaging out well around 5k miles. Now I see consistent MPG around town and on the highway.
- If you drive it like a WRX, don't expect it to make prius mileage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I believe you can clear ECU by disconnecting the battery and let it sit for a few minutes. (I think, not 100% sure).

Anyway your MPG isn't based on how much gasoline is actually used, but rather how much gasoline the car thinks you are using based on your acceleration percentage, engine temp, speed, and a whole lot of math. It then takes that estimate and applies it to how much fuel is being read in the tank. In terms of acceleration there is actually a page in the upper center control menu that will tell you how much accelerator you are pressing. There is also the green MPG bar to tell you how economical you are at that moment. I've run the tank estimate to 0 before and still had a gallon and a half in the tank based on filling the full tank.

I gave my Subaru a break in period so that doesn't really affect MPG. I currently have 7500 miles. Since the last oil change 2,500 miles ago my MPG is only at 19. Winter blend gasoline, extremely cold weather in Chicago, my lead foot driving, and my entire 12.5 mile round trip commute is all streets, lights, and a whole bunch of left and right turns. My lowest was 17 and my best was almost 20 when I drove like my grandma which didn't last long.

I drove to Nashville this weekend and back. In the 1200 round trip miles mostly highway and some Nashville driving I avg 23 MPG. My highway speeds were 75-90 miles an hour running mostly cruise control set in dynamic acceleration mode. I'm sure I could run eco and comfort for better MPG, but I like dynamic because it's a bit more aggressive at accelerating.

Here is what you really need to do. Go to the gas station fill up the car. Also if you are one of those who tops off their gas tank once the pump clicks, dont.

Reset your trip computer. Drive until you are ready to fill up. Fill up your car again and then calculate how much gas you put in and how many miles you drove. This is your actual MPG and the only accurate determination of MPG.

The ECU relies on data gathered and estimates based on this. Some drives are inconsistent and some are textbook. Sharing the car with a spouse is also going to affect how it figures this out.

My calculated MPG is a 1-2 mpg better that the ECU shows on AVG. I've always had this problem with any car I have owned. I am just a wild card.

Good luck!
Like i said i dont do much driving, work-home, and both trips on highway without traffic. About 30 miles both ways.
And most of the time i'm all alone as i pick up my two kids at the end of the day within 5 miles range both ways through city, traffic, lights...

As for green bar MPG, when i press gas it shows yellow bar and low MPG (obviously), once i let it go it becomes green and shows crazy MPG from 27 and up. I will try to "babysit" this car, like you guys told me to, but from reading this forum i get the feeling that most of you do highway driving, while i live in NYC and i simply cant believe how this car can get 21 MPG in the city that Subaru claims, no matter how you drive it. And while i love the way this car drives (accept transmission that seem to be lost and jerks below 20 MPH) and the power of it is not an issue, but may be after all the engine is too small for this car.

Thank you guys for all your responses and advice.

·
Registered
920 Posts
When I was breaking in my car I really babied it. No RPMs over 2500 with most under 2000, very gentle throttle and stayed under 60. During a 700 mile road trip under those conditions I got 36mpg! I was also getting 28 or so around town.

Have you ever driven a turbocharged car before? As soon as the turbo spools up and produces boost (around 2200rpm) the amount of air going into the engine jumps considerably. To keep up the car has to dump fuel in to keep the mixture right. Good part = LOTS of power and torque. Bad part = Lots more fuel! 277ftlbs of torque at 2300 rpm comes at a cost of fuel usage. If your really mash the throttle (which is easy to do with the sensitive Subie throttle) you are getting up to speed (probably faster than you think) and also gobbling up fuel.

Set your display to show your instant mpg and you'll see how much it changes. The green/yellow bar also shows this relative to your current average, but it's eye-opening to see the actual numbers! Easy on the throttle and your number won't dip as much.

But I love the power, so I often mash it and pay the $$$ to get the smiles!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Have you ever driven a turbocharged car before? As soon as the turbo spools up and produces boost (around 2200rpm) the amount of air going into the engine jumps considerably. To keep up the car has to dump fuel in to keep the mixture right. Good part = LOTS of power and torque. Bad part = Lots more fuel! 277ftlbs of torque at 2300 rpm comes at a cost of fuel usage. If your really mash the throttle (which is easy to do with the sensitive Subie throttle) you are getting up to speed (probably faster than you think) and also gobbling up fuel.
Boxer engines, Subaru have a very aggressive knock control strategy. If our domestic fuel had more octane, it would be less of an issue. However, the above is very correct. Fuel needs to dump in and with the Subaru horizontal design, timing gets pulled to prevent detonation. Lean is not good in a 6-Star car, so the ECU prevents it. Sacrificing fuel is the only answer.

Set your eco ACC to 62 mph and see what you get. It will be something like 30-36. But you can't duplicate it with your foot...your right foot will kill it.

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
Anyway your MPG isn't based on how much gasoline is actually used, but rather how much gasoline the car thinks you are using based on your acceleration percentage, engine temp, speed, and a whole lot of math. It then takes that estimate and applies it to how much fuel is being read in the tank. In terms of acceleration there is actually a page in the upper center control menu that will tell you how much accelerator you are pressing.
I don't design cars, but why can't they just stick a flowmeter in the fuel line and then divide by the miles driven. Seems simpler to me :dunno:
Also, us premium owners don't get that page on the upper center console display :crying:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I was breaking in my car I really babied it. No RPMs over 2500 with most under 2000, very gentle throttle and stayed under 60. During a 700 mile road trip under those conditions I got 36mpg! I was also getting 28 or so around town.

Set your display to show your instant mpg and you'll see how much it changes. The green/yellow bar also shows this relative to your current average, but it's eye-opening to see the actual numbers! Easy on the throttle and your number won't dip as much.

But I love the power, so I often mash it and pay the $$$ to get the smiles!
I never had turbo, and this will be my first and last one, i'm assuming.
There's quite difference (for me) to do the job with torture or to do the same job feeling comfortable. I'm talking about small engine, turbo and torque that they put in there. Why not put H6 engine as it's going to do almost same mileage on highway and city? Reading this forum it seems like most of people here do mostly highway mileage, and there's no way that this car can do 20 MPG in the city, especially the one like NYC. We drive differently here, pass here pass there, want it or not you use power of your vehicle. On youtube there's a video, a guy shows how he did 123 miles on quarter of a tank on his Ascent. There's no way you could do that living in the city and mix all the time traffic, streets, free of traffic highways. No matter how you drive. And obviosly i cant ask for that in the city, but at least may i ask for 18-19? Seems like it's miracle for this car too. Chasing that fuel efficiency really drives auto makers crazy, they just make it worst. You need balance in everything, and Ascent perfect example of that balance being broken. And i'm assuming not only Ascent... BMW, Mercedes, Audi..., they all try to put smaller engines with turbo. They just want consumers to believe in it's fuel efficiency, well, i guess they expect us do "granny" it all the time, and get from that car God knows what - either pleasure to drive or to find a way to save. If i'm getting myself three row SUV, **** i'm expecting to pay for it. I had some big engines, including 2012 4.0 V6 Pathfinder, and as much as i hated that car, i never did any "break in periods" with it, and the milege was far better than with Ascent.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Boxer engines, Subaru have a very aggressive knock control strategy. If our domestic fuel had more octane, it would be less of an issue. However, the above is very correct. Fuel needs to dump in and with the Subaru horizontal design, timing gets pulled to prevent detonation. Lean is not good in a 6-Star car, so the ECU prevents it. Sacrificing fuel is the only answer.

Set your eco ACC to 62 mph and see what you get. It will be something like 30-36. But you can't duplicate it with your foot...your right foot will kill it.
Well, i never used ACC as well as regular CC. And i'm not sure how i can use ACC within the city, but even if there's a way, is this all that Ascent can offer? Wow!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.