Subaru Ascent Forum banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I'm about 2000 miles into the car, and wow ... 12.5 to 13MPG around town, driven remarkably conservatively. I usually reset the trip after each fill-up but my god, this thing likes its gas.

Have not come close to the "up to 21mpg city". Making me regret getting this car over the Highlander at this point.

·
Administrator
10,945 Posts
Wow, that's odd. I get that much if I am towing at 55 on flat ground. If it hasn't improved by your first oil change, I'd have them check it out. What geographic location are you in, and what is "around town"?

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Looks like an 8 mile roundtrip taken twice per day, with an elevation change of approximately 289 feet over 4 miles. Maximum of 8 traffic lights and 1 stop sign per 4 mile segment.

Speed limit varies between 25 and 50mph, and I granny it up to around 45.

Suburb driving with Suburban MPGs.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Looks like an 8 mile roundtrip taken twice per day, with an elevation change of approximately 289 feet over 4 miles. Maximum of 8 traffic lights and 1 stop sign per 4 mile segment.

Speed limit varies between 25 and 50mph, and I granny it up to around 45.

Suburb driving with Suburban MPGs.
That will totally do it. I've witnessed this time and time again with my Ascent. If I stay in the neighborhood (suburbs) with similar trips to yours, I will see 12-14 mpg. For example, I can fill up then do school pickups, grocery store, and food runs and will be getting low mpg. But I also commute to work about 30 miles round trip and get to let the Ascent stretch its legs a bit, yielding a very consistent 20+ average mpg. If I fill up and immediately head to work, then I'll be at 25-28 by the time I get to my office. If I use a whole tank around my suburban area but use longer arterial roads more, then I'll see 18-19.

I didn't check if I've commented on this thread already, but if I did I'm sure I said something similar. I'm practicing that Dad thing where I say the same thing over and over again.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Short, stop-and-go trips are killers for MPG. Likewise, elevation changes are not a zero sum game - unlike hybrids and EVs, a turbo can't "save" energy on descent. There's no place to store the energy. The Ascent would benefit from a "stop-start" system that shuts the engine off when you are waiting for a red light to turn green. Many traffic lights in my area are on timers, and don't react to cross traffic loads. One notorious traffic light near our home is 5 seconds E/W for every 90 seconds N/S. Annoying.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yep, stop and go really kill the mpg. We just got back from South Lake Tahoe. With 50:50 city/freeway driving, we got 26 mpg with 3 kids, wife, and dawg. The key is minimal stop signs!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your feedback. We are not getting anything near that. We bought the 2020 back in November 2019. We travel city and only get about 17 to 18 and we have taken several long highway trips and only get 20 to 21. We are not heavy speeders we live in a state that has 65 mile speed limits, we do not accelerate hard and do not use the remote start and do not fight weather conditions such as wind. It has been so disappointing. I did find another thread discussing the poor gas mileage for other drivers as well. We traded in our 2009 Chevy Traverse for this vehicle and that was getting 22 in town 26 highway.

Thanks again.
I am having a similar situation in the 2021 Ascent I bought in January
The verbest I got was on a highway trip with the cruise set at the speed limit of 70 and it was 21 mpg
I pulled a small utility trailer on the same route another time and only got 14 mpg. Yikes. Not at all what they claimed when I purchased the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your gas mileage has nothing to do with your vehicle being a Subaru.

You may want to explore the existing threads about fuel economy. Folks often assume that the EPA numbers on the sticker are real world...they are not. The "City" test process doesn't in any way, shape or form, represent true city driving, for example. Combine that with a vehicle that has a different feel, especially at first, and local fuel economy can be in the toilet. It generally improves as people adapt their driving style to how the Ascent performs relative to the skinny pedal.

I don't do any true "city" diving. Like hokiefyd, I average about 21 mpg in general rural driving and I get about 26.8 on the highway average with my best north of 28 pmg. I drive conservatively naturally, don't accelerate hard ever and coast up to lights. On the highway, I use ACC all the time and never exceed 65-70 mph unless I have to to pass something in a safe amount of distance. My overall average over 20K miles is currently 23.5 mpg.
You work for Subaru?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,834 Posts
Reactions: hokiefyd
81 - 89 of 89 Posts