Subaru Ascent Forum banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
"The Ascent decides what ratio along the available continuum is optimum based on many factors and sensors. In this regard, it knows better than I do."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for your feedback. We are not getting anything near that. We bought the 2020 back in November 2019. We travel city and only get about 17 to 18 and we have taken several long highway trips and only get 20 to 21. We are not heavy speeders we live in a state that has 65 mile speed limits, we do not accelerate hard and do not use the remote start and do not fight weather conditions such as wind. It has been so disappointing. I did find another thread discussing the poor gas mileage for other drivers as well. We traded in our 2009 Chevy Traverse for this vehicle and that was getting 22 in town 26 highway.

Thanks again.
I bought my 2020 Ascent Touring in Sept of 2019. For the first 7000 miles, I was extremely disappointed in the mileage, maybe 19-20mpg on average. However, we did a 3000 mile trip to the Rocky Mountains and by the time we returned, we now get about 24.5 on average.
So, I think it just took longer to break it in. Even around town, I am getting 22-23. I am very happy with those results.
Hang in there, it will get better!

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
We are averaging 23-24 mpg with my wife doing most of the driving. She has a heavier foot than I do and we’re about 5K miles now. The majority is highway, and for a vehicle the Ascents size/weight I’d say that’s not terrible. It’s actually better than our 09 N/A Forester.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
My mileage has gone from city/hwy split to 90% city now that summer break is over. Mileage had dropped a little to 11.8l/100km which I think works out to 20mpg. That’s about 5mpg better than I was getting in my Ridgeline and just a touch under the estimate. I’m quite happy with it.
I remember when I bought the Ridgeline, folks were whining about the gas mileage. They were saying it was so bad compared to their Accords. Well obviously! In this case op had a much more comparable vehicle but sounds like a reasonable mpg.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I bought my 2020 Ascent Touring in Sept of 2019. For the first 7000 miles, I was extremely disappointed in the mileage, maybe 19-20mpg on average. However, we did a 3000 mile trip to the Rocky Mountains and by the time we returned, we now get about 24.5 on average.
So, I think it just took longer to break it in. Even around town, I am getting 22-23. I am very happy with those results.
Hang in there, it will get better!
I find it does well on the highway, but can take a beating around town. This summer was the worst with the pandemic, just doing around town stuff. I also wonder if the fuel makes a difference in the amount of ethanol they put in. I have to wonder if it increased. I had instances where I was getting 13-14mpg over time. Took a trip a week and a half ago and we were getting 24-25mpg. The around town has improved a bit. Maybe I am doing 18-19 now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm getting about 24 mpg in Colorado Springs, with some trips up into the mountains, but mostly just hills here in town. Gas mileage is probably the LEAST of all my complaints about this annoying vehicle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm getting about 24 mpg in Colorado Springs, with some trips up into the mountains, but mostly just hills here in town. Gas mileage is probably the LEAST of all my complaints about this annoying vehicle.
That's funny. I agree.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
559 Posts
We just got back from a week in the South Yosemite/Oakridge/Yosemite Valley area. With a Thule rooftop box, triplet 9 yr old boys, a 30 lb dog, and my wife and I, we averaged about 23-24 mpg overall. This includes driving in the mountains. On the way back home, we got 26.5 mpg over the course of 250 miles, fully loaded up with aforementioned rooftop box. Not too bad. Tire pressures were set at 37 PSI.

I find that the mileage suffers the most in stop and go traffic. Stop signs and stop lights really kill the MPG. On the freeway, she's a honey and just cruises.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,722 Posts
My mileage has inched up a little more lately...hovering just shy of 21 for general rural and small town driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I still only get about 14 MPG city / Hwy Mix. Could my lead foot really be causing this much bad gas mileage. I use to think so unil I let my conservitive wife drive and she only got it up to 16mpg going from LA to Seattle.:cry::cry:

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I still only get about 14 MPG city / Hwy Mix. Could my lead foot really be causing this much bad gas mileage. I use to think so unil I let my conservitive wife drive and she only got it up to 16mpg going from LA to Seattle.:cry::cry:
the short answer is yes. try cruise control and you will see the difference.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Did you lower the cruise aggressiveness? This is key.
I think I have it at an average setting, which has worked out fine. I can even be in traffic and it adjusts the speed while maintaining a safe distance with me just keeping an eye on the system.

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
If your Ascent is getting consistently low fuel economy with both drivers even with attempting to drive conservatively and even on the highway, then something is amiss with your specific vehicle. Some folks do seem to get poor mileage while most are within the expected averages and a few with outstanding, above the line mileage. Unfortunately, that's the same with almost any make/model. If you have not addressed this with Subaru service, it's probably a good idea to have that conversation.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
593 Posts
I think I have it at an average setting, which has worked out fine. I can even be in traffic and it adjusts the speed while maintaining a safe distance with me just keeping an eye on the system.
When I changed the cruise agressiveness (response?) it certainly improved the MPG when using it. I'm not talking about the distance setting, but how hard it gets on the gas to get back to speed. Tp be honest, I find the lowest most conservative setting to be perfect for normal driving.

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
I find the lowest most conservative setting to be perfect for normal driving.
That's how I've had mine set since day-one...performs just fine and more or less mimics my normal conservative use of the skinny pedal when driving locally.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,120 Posts
We use the lowest setting as well...but not necessarily for the fuel economy. The more aggressive settings will have the car continually making very apparent throttle changes trying to keep you either locked on the speed or locked to the distance behind the lead car that it's pretty disruptive in our opinion. The most conservative setting lets the thing ebb and flow a little more, which is much more comfortable. I'm very impressed Subaru allows one to customize that.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
593 Posts
I fully agree. The conservative setting is more natural. Everything else makes me think I'm driving like I'm in the middle of NY/NJ. However, it also helps improve MPG :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
You have to finesse it ! i switch off cruise in hills, I don't need to roar up steep grades at 70mph, I can do that at 60, and downhill, cruise hits the brakes for me, then roars up the next hill. I get a pretty reliable 21 in town / on ranch and 30ish at 70mph highway trips. Much above 70mph, and wind resistance really sucks gas.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts