Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have our 1st Suburu. We have 2020 Ascent. Gas mileage is so bad. Is this normal for Suburu? This will be my last one.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
294 Posts
What is your gas mileage, your driving environment, your average road speed, etc. Depending on what you're getting, it's probably not normal, but your local conditions can have a tremendous influence on your measured fuel economy.

These are rated 21/27 for the models with 18" wheels and 20/26 for the models with 20" wheels.

We live in a semi-rural area and drive a mix of short and long trips. We average about 21-22 mpg for most driving. We did take one 400 mile road trip a month or so ago and avaeraged bang-on 26 mpg for that trip (driving 75 mph along the rolling hills of I-81 in western Virginia).

We're very pleased with ours. An engine packing this much power moving this much weight with AWD doesn't typically get mileage this high.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,986 Posts
Your gas mileage has nothing to do with your vehicle being a Subaru.

You may want to explore the existing threads about fuel economy. Folks often assume that the EPA numbers on the sticker are real world...they are not. The "City" test process doesn't in any way, shape or form, represent true city driving, for example. Combine that with a vehicle that has a different feel, especially at first, and local fuel economy can be in the toilet. It generally improves as people adapt their driving style to how the Ascent performs relative to the skinny pedal.

I don't do any true "city" diving. Like hokiefyd, I average about 21 mpg in general rural driving and I get about 26.8 on the highway average with my best north of 28 pmg. I drive conservatively naturally, don't accelerate hard ever and coast up to lights. On the highway, I use ACC all the time and never exceed 65-70 mph unless I have to to pass something in a safe amount of distance. My overall average over 20K miles is currently 23.5 mpg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is your gas mileage, your driving environment, your average road speed, etc. Depending on what you're getting, it's probably not normal, but your local conditions can have a tremendous influence on your measured fuel economy.

These are rated 21/27 for the models with 18" wheels and 20/26 for the models with 20" wheels.

We live in a semi-rural area and drive a mix of short and long trips. We average about 21-22 mpg for most driving. We did take one 400 mile road trip a month or so ago and avaeraged bang-on 26 mpg for that trip (driving 75 mph along the rolling hills of I-81 in western Virginia).

We're very pleased with ours. An engine packing this much power moving this much weight with AWD doesn't typically get mileage this high.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your feedback. We are not getting anything near that. We bought the 2020 back in November 2019. We travel city and only get about 17 to 18 and we have taken several long highway trips and only get 20 to 21. We are not heavy speeders we live in a state that has 65 mile speed limits, we do not accelerate hard and do not use the remote start and do not fight weather conditions such as wind. It has been so disappointing. I did find another thread discussing the poor gas mileage for other drivers as well. We traded in our 2009 Chevy Traverse for this vehicle and that was getting 22 in town 26 highway.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

You may want to explore the existing threads about fuel economy. Folks often assume that the EPA numbers on the sticker are real world...they are not. The "City" test process doesn't in any way, shape or form, represent true city driving, for example. Combine that with a vehicle that has a different feel, especially at first, and local fuel economy can be in the toilet. It generally improves as people adapt their driving style to how the Ascent performs relative to the skinny pedal.

I don't do any true "city" diving. Like hokiefyd, I average about 21 mpg in general rural driving and I get about 26.8 on the highway average with my best north of 28 pmg. I drive conservatively naturally, don't accelerate hard ever and coast up to lights. On the highway, I use ACC all the time and never exceed 65-70 mph unless I have to to pass something in a safe amount of distance. My overall average over 20K miles is currently 23.5 mpg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jim for the insight. You can see my discussion response to hokiefyd.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
294 Posts
17-18 in the city, if it's a lot of stop-and-go driving, is not unreasonable. As Jim stated, window sticker posts numbers that are generated from the "EPA cycle", which isn't necessarily representative of the conditions you experience.

Your highway fuel economy of only 20-21 mpg is far lower than what I think most of us are experiencing, and is far lower than what you probably should be getting. I say "probably", because there may be other factors like traffic, terrain, vehicle accessories (a rooftop carrier, for example), or other things that can work to legitimately increase your fuel consumption.

If nothing else is obvious, you might bring your concern to your dealer to see what they say. Unfortunately, none of us know exactly your situation or driving environment.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have about 11000 miles on 2019 Touring. My average so far about 19 mpg. That includes few longer trips and tri state driving. I live in NYC. I'm not complaining. This is about what I used to get on 2003 Forester.
Oh, and I use that power so my mpg will never get in high 20's but I'm OK with that. This is big car with AWD.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have about 11000 miles on 2019 Touring. My average so far about 19 mpg. That includes few longer trips and tri state driving. I live in NYC. I'm not complaining. This is about what I used to get on 2003 Forester.
Oh, and I use that power so my mpg will never get in high 20's but I'm OK with that. This is big car with AWD.
We have our 1st Suburu. We have 2020 Ascent. Gas mileage is so bad. Is this normal for Suburu? This will be my last one.
When I lived in TN, my "lifetime" average was 22 mpg. I moved to PA last fall and average about 15 mpg -- lots of traffic and traffic lights. It's not the cars fault, it my driving conditions

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
294 Posts
Just as an anecdote, and this was years ago, but I moved from Blacksburg, VA, down to Fayetteville, NC, and experienced a 20-25% increase in "city" fuel economy...just from the change in average speed and terrain. Blacksburg is in the Appalachian Mountains of SW VA and the town is fairly small/tight with a lot of 25 or 35 mph speed limits and stop signs. Average speeds (my car at the time would display my average speed for a tank of fuel) were in the 10-15 mph range. (Your average speed for driving with a lot of stops is far lower than you think it would be!)

In contrast, Fayetteville was flat, open, and had a lot of 4-lane roads with 45 mph speeds. My average speed doubled, to 25-30 mph for most trips. My fuel economy also soared...again...about a 25% increase. I went from about 15-17 if I was lucky to well over 20 mpg. This was in a Cadillac with the Northstar engine -- it really responded to easy driving at speed...and just tanked when it would idle.

I've since moved back to VA, but we're in a semi-rural area where average speeds are still maintained pretty high...so our average fuel economy didn't change much with the move.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Thank you for your feedback. We are not getting anything near that. We bought the 2020 back in November 2019. We travel city and only get about 17 to 18 and we have taken several long highway trips and only get 20 to 21. We are not heavy speeders we live in a state that has 65 mile speed limits, we do not accelerate hard and do not use the remote start and do not fight weather conditions such as wind. It has been so disappointing. I did find another thread discussing the poor gas mileage for other drivers as well. We traded in our 2009 Chevy Traverse for this vehicle and that was getting 22 in town 26 highway.

Thanks again.
The Ascent's throttle (and Subaru's in general) are a lot more sensitive than most other vehicles. It takes less pedal input to get the same acceleration. I did the test numbers and with 12% throttle input I could out accelerate most econbox cars at full throttle to 60mph. It's still fairly smooth with the CVT so it may not feel like it, but you're probably accelerating a lot faster than in your Chevy. I know the difference between my GMC Canyon (basically a Chevy) and the Ascent was night and day for throttle response. If I push down on the Ascent like I did in the GMC, I'd be racing off the line!

If you "baby" the throttle, I bet you'll see a 2-3mpg improvement without losing drivability.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Not sure I agree with that statement. The Ascent is pure Subaru, from the platform to the turbo boxer engine. As a consumer, I would expect the vehicle to get what the EPA estimates are. Nothing wrong with being disappointed in a vehicle's mpg.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Personally, I've always gotten right in-between the EPA city and highway numbers. ...until I got the Ascent (my first turbocharged car). My thoughts are that a lot has to do with the turbo and the way it's tuned to give a lot of power in the low RPM range (moreso than a comparable non-turbo with similar peak power ratings).

Remember Calculus class and the 'area under the curve' (AUC)? If you graphed out the power output along the entire RPM range and compared the same graph of a similarly powered non-turbo engine, the turbo would have a greater AUC than the non-turbo. Due to physics, more power requires more fuel, hence lower than expected fuel economy if you use the avaialble power. That's what happens in real-world driving. Most mainstream turbocharged cars are designed to excel at the EPA tests, but don't do so well when real people drive them.

Here are a few articles:

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,986 Posts
Not sure I agree with that statement. The Ascent is pure Subaru, from the platform to the turbo boxer engine. As a consumer, I would expect the vehicle to get what the EPA estimates are. Nothing wrong with being disappointed in a vehicle's mpg.
I get excellent fuel economy in all three of the Subarus we have in our driveway when I'm driving...2019 Ascent, 2020 Forester and 2016 Outback. The other two drivers in our family do not do as well...it's their driving.

You are correct that there's nothing wrong with being disappointed, but in most cases, folks "could" improve their fuel economy with how they drive. And heavy urban traffic means a lot of idling which kills gas mileage in any vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’d take your car in to be looked at. On road trips with my 2020 Limited my highway mileage has consistently been 29 MPG, and that’s in a car that’s fully loaded with two adults, two kids, a dog, and luggage.

·
Registered
511 Posts
In the past year and a half my mileage has been all over the place. Regular readers know all the woes I've had with the car. For most of the first 10,000 miles I was averaging mid teens, and maybe 21 or 22 on the highway at best (My turbo GLS 450 was getting better mileage than that, and I didn't baby that car like I do the ascent). Finally around 11k mi, my mileage mysteriously started improving. Driving down from our vacation house I can now get over 30 mpg, a year ago I'd be lucky to get 22. The road conditions, levels of traffic, haven't changed, nor has the style of my driving. On the highway I now regularly get 25-6 mpg, a year ago I was struggling to get 22 or 3. I don't drive in much traffic so that doesn't play a factor.
My driving is about 40/60 City highway.
Where you live is also a factor, more stop and go will crater your mileage. Hills,AC, More people / weight in the car, especially under stop and go conditions, will also. Air pressure in the tires, and the type of tires you have, but I'm assuming you have OE tires.Highly enough my best mileage trips have been with my winter tires, which would typically reduce mileage.
Now My lifetime average is just over 20 MPG, but at least it's going in the right direction now. My other two cars, and in general, cars I've had in the past, have always met or exceeded rated mileage.

so unfortunately it is what it is. Unless there's an issue with the fuel pump, engine tuning, etc, it's probably just something you're stuck with, unfortunately. I felt the same way for a long time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It may be worth having the dealer reset the various modules and make sure the ECM is up to date. I had similar issues, low teens for city driving, never over 22mpg on long 4 hour hwy drives.

Then I went in for a module reprogram and poof, high teens in city and mid to high 20s for hwy driving. The forum here said the work was unrelated, but something happened. It went from worse MPG than our Yukon to same or better as my WRX.

Yes, the throttle response was taken down, but so were some other things like better rpms when climbing hills when using cruise control. Previously it was impossible for me to find all the various acceleration points, it was either dog slow or crazy fast. Post update I have a wide range of throttle input I did not have before. This was not a "me" issue but a "Subaru" issue. The same way leaving the hatch open causing the battery to drain is not a "me" issue.

Don't let the forum convince you it is your fault. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm getting 24.5, about an hour NW of downtown Chicago. Mix of in town and highway, which is usually easily 70-75 in 55MPH zones just to go with the flow in the slower lanes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am in total agreement, this is not my first Subaru, "turbo" vehicle, or even my first turbo Subbie. I have always taken pride in being able to beat EPA estimates in the variety of cars I have owned and even got stellar MPG out of both my twin-tubo V6 Audi S4 and Legacy GT. On my Leggy I could get 28 MPG average on my frequent 300+ mile drives over Snoqualme pass traveling from Western WA and back at 73 MPH average for the trip. I have also been able to get 34-35 MPG on trips from North of Seattle to South of Portland on my current 2017 Legacy and averaged 26-27 overall in my 60-40 city/highway driving (until I got new tires :confused:).
However, in my Ascent I can not even get EPA highway on fairly flat highway drives on my best days. I have tried to run without the AC and have done other tests to try and see what can possibly increase my mileage with varied results. I have had some random high mileage moments on road trips but those only last an hour or two until I turn off my car for pit stops and sight seeing and things immediately go back to normal. I have taken it in to different dealers for other things and have asked them to look into it but to no avail. We love the car and have just made peace with the fact we will be using more gas than what we thought when purchasing our 4th Subaru. I do think that most of the time MPG complaints have to do with the way some people drive but by first hand account I can also say that there are some of us own vehicles that are under-performing in this regard.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts