Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased a new Hyundai Kona for my wife earlier this year. For those of you who are not familiar with the Kona it's a sub-compact SUV and is considerably smaller than the Ascent. We purchased the Kona in April and I've since spent time lurking in that forum just like I do here. Anyway, one of the "gripes" that others identified about the Kona is the sound of its horn. The consensus in the Kona forum is that the horn sounds "pathetic". Needless to say I had fun kidding my wife about the sound of her wimpy horn for the past few months...... that was until the Ascent arrived. The Ascent is supposed to be a big, beefy crossover. It's supposed to be a hauler and off-road capable machine. It's supposed to have a bold, loud horn..... well, not so much. I'm sad to say that the Ascent's horn, when compared to its body style, is much wimpier than the Kona's. The Kona's sounds like an air horn by comparison. I think Subaru missed on the horn sound :sad:
But it's completely a nit picky thing because the rest of the Ascent is absolutely awesome!!! The Kona is a small vehicle that is a blast to drive. The Ascent is a larger vehicle that's just as fun.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Yeah, I feel like the horn is the same as the Crosstrek and Forester... maybe I can change it to a Tacoma horn ;)

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
My previous car (a 2003 Toyota Matrix) had a god-awful horn, always hated its sound. The Ascent’s sounds great by comparison!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I actually used my horn in my Tahoe that I drove for 150+K miles. So the Ascent's horn isn't really a big deal to me - just thought that it would have been nice if it had more of a truck sound.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've had the "luxury" of needing to use my horn twice in the 2 weeks I've owned my Ascent... and I have no problem whatsotever with how it sounds. Seems plenty strong to me!

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
Thanks everyone. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I actually used my horn in my Tahoe that I drove for 150+K miles. So the Ascent's horn isn't really a big deal to me - just thought that it would have been nice if it had more of a truck sound.
Where are you from? I want to move there! I can't physically count the number of times I use the horn on one hand on a weekly basis...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Horn sounds weak!

Ok, I've had Subaru's since 1995. The horns haven't been great, but I guess they "fit" the car. The other day, I wanted to hear the horn in our new Ascent, so I tapped the steering wheel button. I almost jumped out of my skin. To me, it sounded as if the horn was mounted directly on the firewall in front of the driver. It almost felt like it was at my feet and I thought it was pretty loud from inside. I could of sworn I felt it at my feet, through the gas pedal. I don't think it's a horn that "fits" the size of the vehicle.

I don't care for wimpy sounding horns. When I have to honk my horn, I want people to pull their heads out of their behinds and move along/out of the way. I'm seriously thinking about replacing it with a horn from my BMW. Anyone else find the Ascent horn unfit for the size of the Ascent? I don't want anything illegal, (like a train horn), but I'm open to any suggestions/recommendations for something that sounds like it would get someone's attention? Not a horn that sounds like "Hey, umm, Mr./Mrs., well, ah, do you..could you move out of the way...please?"

·
Registered
411 Posts
you could do what other subie owners do, some hella supertones and be done with it

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Ok, I've had Subaru's since 1995. The horns haven't been great, but I guess they "fit" the car. The other day, I wanted to hear the horn in our new Ascent, so I tapped the steering wheel button. I almost jumped out of my skin. To me, it sounded as if the horn was mounted directly on the firewall in front of the driver. It almost felt like it was at my feet and I thought it was pretty loud from inside. I could of sworn I felt it at my feet, through the gas pedal. I don't think it's a horn that "fits" the size of the vehicle.

I don't care for wimpy sounding horns. When I have to honk my horn, I want people to pull their heads out of their behinds and move along/out of the way. I'm seriously thinking about replacing it with a horn from my BMW. Anyone else find the Ascent horn unfit for the size of the Ascent? I don't want anything illegal, (like a train horn), but I'm open to any suggestions/recommendations for something that sounds like it would get someone's attention? Not a horn that sounds like "Hey, umm, Mr./Mrs., well, ah, do you..could you move out of the way...please?"
Merged with the other horn dislike thread. If you look a few posts up, there's a guy that already did a mod for the horn.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Merged with the other horn dislike thread. If you look a few posts up, there's a guy that already did a mod for the horn.
Thanks! I had searched a few forums, but apparently not all. :)

Reactions: FoRealz

·
Registered
235 Posts
you could do what other subie owners do, some hella supertones and be done with it
I guess, but of the sound clips I've heard, I'm not sure I like those either. I'll see if I can find ones that are more convincing. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Horn Location

Has anyone found where the horns are located??? I've looked without any disassembly of the front bumper!

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a "single" horn thread, so I figured I'd contribute to this one (it has the most replies). I added a set of Hella Tumpet horns this week. It's very easy to do on a 2020 without removing the front bumper. Take the airbox out to access the passenger side and take the battery out to access the driver side. I didn't even have to make any wiring connectors -- the factory connectors fit the spades on the Hellas just fine.

This is the universal 12v horn set I bought. The reviews have a video of the sound -- they sound like a real car horn. Easy mod -- cheap to buy, easy to install...no brainer!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.