Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts about the horn sound on the Acent? Every time when I press the horn, it sounded like just behind the dash board. For a car cost as much as 35k, should have a better insulation. Any one agree with me?

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
All of us who've discussed the horns want louder ones. You can use the search tool to find the thread, if you are interested.

I bought a pair of Hella horns, but, the horns are mounted as far away from human occupants as possible, under the bumper cover, in front of the bumper, so, it's not a swap I want to do in this weather.

Regardless, personally, I find the soundproofing in the Ascent to be fine, and definitely light years ahead of what my 2010 Outback had.

Anyway, my first car was a 63 Chevy, so, I look forward to loud horns for the few times I use them.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Any thoughts about the horn sound on the Acent? Every time when I press the horn, it sounded like just behind the dash board. For a car cost as much as 35k, should have a better insulation. Any one agree with me?
Yes I notice and it is kinda strange to me. I wasn't able to see horn thru the bumper grille and I didn't try hard to find it either. Also, it appears that Robert is saying that the horn is out of sight and hard to get to. Therefore, the issue might be that the sound deflect/bounce all over the engine compartment instead of projecting straight out.

Also, my kid honked the horn while my head was under the hood - scare the bajeebus out of me.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
All of us who've discussed the horns want louder ones. You can use the search tool to find the thread, if you are interested.

I bought a pair of Hella horns, but, the horns are mounted as far away from human occupants as possible, under the bumper cover, in front of the bumper, so, it's not a swap I want to do in this weather.

Regardless, personally, I find the soundproofing in the Ascent to be fine, and definitely light years ahead of what my 2010 Outback had.

Anyway, my first car was a 63 Chevy, so, I look forward to loud horns for the few times I use them.
is the horn(s) under the headlight(s)?

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
Image below

Yes I notice and it is kinda strange to me. I wasn't able to see horn thru the bumper grille and I didn't try hard to find it either. Also, it appears that Robert is saying that the horn is out of sight and hard to get to. Therefore, the issue might be that the sound deflect/bounce all over the engine compartment instead of projecting straight out.

Also, my kid honked the horn while my head was under the hood - scare the bajeebus out of me.
Yes, thanks. I suspect it's bouncing off the bumper cover and reflecting back inwards.

is the horn(s) under the headlight(s)?
Yes. Kinda. See the image below. I have a feeling, with all of the stuff for cooling and everything that kicks in through the grille, they wanted the horns out of the way.

Sorry, wasn't at my computer last night, but wanted to attach this to the conversation to explain what I was saying:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yeah, I have my horn in the garage, but haven't got around to installing it yet. Finishing the Mustang before Feb 15th is more important!

Good to know where the exisiting horns are. Thinking of just tapping the horn wire and mounting the new one in another location that's easier to get to. Will have to see... maybe Sunday!

·
Registered
775 Posts
It doesn't seem very loud from inside the car, and it does kind of sound like it's coming from right in front of the dashboard, but I haven't had the pleasure of having it being honked while standing in front of the car yet, so I can't say how loud it is to the car in front of me.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Added Hella horns just this evening. Took the plastic off above the radiator to access behind the grill and mounted them under the hood latch. Tapped the driver side horn found under the headlight to power a relay that switches battery to the new horns. Relay switches battery through a 15 amp fuse to the new horns. Now both factory and aftermarket horns are in play. I have a sound meter. Stock horns measure 109dba and both sets together output 117dba. Boy are they LOUD!!!!!
I have the yellow/blue Hellas, not the red/black ones. I like the lower frequency of the yellow ones. More 'truck' like.

·
Read Only
45 Posts
I haven't heard the hella horns in person, but I've never been impressed after watching various YT videos. I guess they must sound way better in person
Added Hella horns just this evening. Took the plastic off above the radiator to access behind the grill and mounted them under the hood latch. Tapped the driver side horn found under the headlight to power a relay that switches battery to the new horns. Relay switches battery through a 15 amp fuse to the new horns. Now both factory and aftermarket horns are in play. I have a sound meter. Stock horns measure 109dba and both sets together output 117dba. Boy are they LOUD!!!!!
I have the yellow/blue Hellas, not the red/black ones. I like the lower frequency of the yellow ones. More 'truck' like.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I haven't heard the hella horns in person, but I've never been impressed after watching various YT videos. I guess they must sound way better in person
I'm hard of hearing and they were so loud during testing, I could tell they were gonna damage what I have left, so further testing was done with my shooting ear muffs. Ha!
We live way out in the woods and wife came out to tell me neighbors called to see if everything was ok.
The red black ones are supposed to be louder but the yellow blue ones were cheaper plus Amazon had a set in damaged box for even less. Paid $20 for them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts