Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last evening I was driving home from a meeting with my wife about 9PM and the low tire pressure warning light came on. This was immediately followed by both us is getting text messages from Subaru/Starlink saying there was a low tire pressure warning. I pulled over right away and checked the tire pressure screen which showed the driver's side rear was going flat.

I wasn't dressed for doing a tire change in the dark, a visual inspection verified that it wasn't going to make it the 3 miles home and the mosquitos inspection of me made it an easy decision to press the Starlink button and summon help.

The initial contact with Starlink was very positive and the friendly young lady knew who I was, where I was and said I could get a free tow or tire change. I decided on a tire change and quickly got a verification call back with the details about who had been sent to help me with an ETA of 60 minutes. It only took about 8 minutes for the tow truck to arrive, during that time 2 people stopped and offered to help me.

When I got home I was shocked to see that the inside edge of the tire was completely worn out, all the way through the steel band. The outside edge looked the same as the other 3 tires, worn but not dangerous. Turned out that nail was a good thing!

It's obvious that I missed a serious alignment problem and I don't know how or when that happened. I always have the tires rotated and checked by Subaru with every oil change. Last time they all were within 1/32" of each other with even wear so this was a big surprise.

I had planned to get new tires this Fall anyway, so new CrossClimate 2's, a full allignment and a new battery are scheduled for Friday.

Overall this was a surprisingly positive experience. This is my first time having a Starlink type service, I didn't expect to get a text warning message, which was pretty cool and the My Subaru app also showed the warning message. The prompt and courteous service from Starlink will keep me as a subscriber. Also, I got to meet 2 good Samaritans and a friendly tow truck driver!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Never saw someone so happy getting a flat but glad it worked in your favor...Starlink for win,win!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Second post I've read with tires worn down to the bands on the inside edge, and fairly quickly as well. With a rotation every 6000 miles, find it concerning that something got tweaked enough to suddenly wear the inside edge out so quickly. Any memory of a good pothole hit or another such event?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Second post I've read with tires worn down to the bands on the inside edge, and fairly quickly as well. With a rotation every 6000 miles, find it concerning that something got tweaked enough to suddenly wear the inside edge out so quickly. Any memory of a good pothole hit or another such event?
I don't remember a specific incident of a hitting anything, there are big potholes everywhere. I had always considered myself as being attentive when it comes to tire care so this really bugs me. Especially when I think about the several times my wife took the car out of town without me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts