Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting serious hood vibration on my 2019 Ascent when driving at high speeds. The hood panel flaps around and it appears that the only thing keeping the hood on is the latch at the front. I look it up and there is a service bulletin for it on NHTSA web site (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171927-0001.pdf). I called two dealerships and both wanted to charge me for the fix because they say its out of the new car warranty. Has anyone had this fix done and did you have to pay for the service? I even have the extended warranty and was told this fix is not covered by the extended warranty. Doesn't seem right so wanted to see if its the same for everyone else.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,255 Posts
TSBs are indeed chargeable once the OEM 3/36 warranty runs out but the Subaru Added Security Gold extended service contract should cover it, IMHO, although your deductible may apply if you do not have zero deductible. Perhaps I'm wrong about that, however. Cosmetic things are not covered, but this is a functional issue caused by the failure of the adhesive that bonds the aluminum hood skin to the framework below it.

·
Administrator
13,159 Posts
I'm getting serious hood vibration on my 2019 Ascent when driving at high speeds. The hood panel flaps around and it appears that the only thing keeping the hood on is the latch at the front. I look it up and there is a service bulletin for it on NHTSA web site (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171927-0001.pdf). I called two dealerships and both wanted to charge me for the fix because they say its out of the new car warranty. Has anyone had this fix done and did you have to pay for the service? I even have the extended warranty and was told this fix is not covered by the extended warranty. Doesn't seem right so wanted to see if its the same for everyone else.
Yes, only covered during the 3/36 part of the warranty, but an easy fix, with the correct bonding material. Follow the TSB to the letter, and use this...

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
52 Posts
m getting serious hood vibration on my 2019 Ascent when driving at high speeds. The hood panel flaps around and it appears that the only thing keeping the hood on is the latch at the front. I look it up and there is a service bulletin for it on NHTSA web site (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171927-0001.pdf). I called two dealerships and both wanted to charge me for the fix because they say its out of the new car warranty. Has anyone had this fix done and did you have to pay for the service? I even have the extended warranty and was told this fix is not covered by the extended warranty. Doesn't seem right so wanted to see if its the same for everyone else.
Have plan to do mine in the spring, to cold out for me now. Would have been nice if Subaru came up with a faster glue system for this problem. I mean it is right there in front of you and a bit scary the first few times, or two in a row. And it was not a few units it happened on, border line safety issue to me, aka recall.
Next year it will be a was what it was.

Hood Panel Vibration.pdf

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,159 Posts
border line safety issue to me, aka recall
Hardly.

Aluminum hoods flex. I still haven't bonded mine. My bonding agent is on a shelf somewhere. My hood lasted over 93,000 miles, and then properly crumpled in an accident.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
52 Posts
My hood lasted over 93,000 miles
That is very good to hear, sounds like a none issue, but still it`s not a great thing to happen on a test drive. Just thought with Subaru being on top of issues that they would have been just more active other than TSB which is good for 3yrs and takes an over night stay at dealership. For many that would mean an over night stay at hotel/motel...$$.
The good part is they do not blow off in the wind.

·
Administrator
13,159 Posts
Did I miss the outcome? Are you back on the road yet?
Sadly not. The shop can't even take it in for another 10 days at best.

·
Administrator
13,159 Posts
That is very good to hear, sounds like a none issue, but still it`s not a great thing to happen on a test drive. Just thought with Subaru being on top of issues that they would have been just more active other than TSB which is good for 3yrs and takes an over night stay at dealership. For many that would mean an over night stay at hotel/motel...$$.
The good part is they do not blow off in the wind.
No one needs to stay overnight. Because it's not a safety issue, people can choose to do it at their leisure.

And, when they're doing it, Subaru will provide for a loaner (or rental if no loaners are available). That's clearly stated on the TSB below the warranty claim information, so dealers are all aware of it.
Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
52 Posts
No one needs to stay overnight. Because it's not a safety issue, people can choose to do it at their leisure.
The PDF says
  • After the adhesive is fully cured (24 hours at 73 degrees F ambient temperature), remove the spacer(s) to complete the repair.
I read that as do not drive down the highway and subject the hood to vibration other wise going to screw up the adhesive. Also many people here do at live close to dealerships. My self one way is 2.5hr drive other is 3.5, so a drop off come back next day does work at all.
This is a repair I plan to do myself, others would rather the dealership to do, or just live with it.

·
Administrator
13,159 Posts
The PDF says
  • After the adhesive is fully cured (24 hours at 73 degrees F ambient temperature), remove the spacer(s) to complete the repair.
I read that as do not drive down the highway and subject the hood to vibration other wise going to screw up the adhesive. Also many people here do at live close to dealerships. My self one way is 2.5hr drive other is 3.5, so a drop off come back next day does work at all.
The vast vast majority of Subaru owners live pretty close to their dealership. Yes, it's sad for those who do not, and for those who don't drive a lot, it's a hellish drive back and forth even with knowing you've got a free loaner - so, maybe you would want to choose to get a hotel room instead of doing the drive.

This is a repair I plan to do myself, others would rather the dealership to do, or just live with it.
At $6-30 for the bonding agent, and a night in the driveway, that's the route I was going (but never bothered, even though I bought everything). So, I am kinda a bit of the first (do it myself) and a bit of the last (just live with it) all rolled into one, lol! :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
13,159 Posts
LOL! Exactly!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2021 Touring had this issue. Dealership was great b/c they really worked w/ subaru mgmt since the tsb was for earlier years. Subaru even sent someone from hdqrts to look at it. There were 8 weak spots and they ended up replacing the hood. All under warranty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts