Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experiencing their hood vibrating @ high way speed? My Ascent was on interstate high way, I was @ speed around 65mph, I noticed the hood started to shake and I have no problem with hood latch. I know our Ascent don’t have hood scoop like the Wrx, can it be the big channel under the hood creating a big air pocket and tried to lift up the hood.
@ regular Local speed it seems to be fine. I’m just afraid hood may pop open @ higher speed.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yeah. Other threads mention that on some hoods, the upper skin is not properly bonded to the hood cross braces. I believe they got their hoods replaced.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Really mine scare the crap out of me, looks like it going to fly off any minute. is their a way to check?

Yeah. Other threads mention that on some hoods, the upper skin is not properly bonded to the hood cross braces. I believe they got their hoods replaced.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
A subaru tech who participates here indicated that if the hood is doing the hula, it's likely that the bonding agent between the skin and the hood structural supports has become disconnected and the vehicle should be taking into dealer service to get it fixed.

·
Registered
731 Posts
So CAN the dealer fix this or is a hood replacement the only option?
Im not a fan of the hood replacement as that would mean different aftermarket paint job, an expensive PPF replacement (on the customer probably), long time without the vehicle etc. Ugh.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
Well, you can either take the remedy that gets offered or not. I "suspect", but have no actual knowledge, that the hood may need to be replaced since all the areas that require the adhesive would be likely be hidden and difficult to remediate from below.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had this problem on our 2020 Ascent. The hood would shake while driving on the highway +70 MPH, especially in windy conditions. I came across a Subaru service bulletin (12-281-20) that addresses the issue on the NHTSA.GOV site. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171927-0001.pdf

However, the procedure shows the application of the adhesive to the areas of the hood that are not under the air scoop for the intercooler. While this procedure did in fact stop the hood from shaking/vibrating, I did notice that there are areas under the scoop that could benefit from adhesive application.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have any 2020s exhibited this issue? Only time I’ve ever seen it is on 2019s.

Fingers crossed on my 2020...
We are on our first big drive in our 2020 Ascent. Crossing Kansas yesterday was downright unnerving. Lots of wobble at speeds +70. Not sure what the crosswind situation was, but now in MO, with no obvious crosswind and lots of trees on either side of the highway, at 77mph there is still fluttering. Not a fan. I’m calling Subaru of America. Otherwise I LOVE this car.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
We are on our first big drive in our 2020 Ascent. Crossing Kansas yesterday was downright unnerving. Lots of wobble at speeds +70. Not sure what the crosswind situation was, but now in MO, with no obvious crosswind and lots of trees on either side of the highway, at 77mph there is still fluttering. Not a fan. I’m calling Subaru of America. Otherwise I LOVE this car.
Hi! Just call your dealership, show them this, and ask them to fix it. You will be in a loaner for a day, so, be prepared to drop off your car, and keep any belongings you will need with you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2019 Ascent. I mentioned it to my dealer (Fox Subaru, Grand Rapids, MI) but they say no recall. I can't believe a QC engineer would not see this on first test drive in windy condition or, just go thru a car wash!

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
It's not a recall, but there's a TSB. Ask them to look for that. It's covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts